Main Menu

Asimov's FOUNDATION HBO

Started by Bubba Zebill, 11 November, 2014, 07:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 November, 2014, 05:33:54 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 November, 2014, 12:22:43 PMI don't recall Asimov being a particularly good sexy time writer.

This week on HBO's Foundation: R Daneel Olivaw reveals the 69th Law of Robotics, and learn how the Mule really got his name.

:lol:

von Boom

zombemybabynow

first book bought :thumbsup:

after watching the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

hope it's as good as the book i read again and again;  'The Hydrogen Sonata'
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm currently reading the Foundation series, and had no idea they were doing a tv version. Am up to Second Foundation- the third book- and am now scratching my head as to how they can translate this to the screen without a million nerd voices crying out that "it's just a Star Wars rip-off!". Because my god did Lucas "borrow" great swathes of this when creating his saga. And it's not just the central dramatic thrust of the jedi-like Foundation versus the Empire... there are even characters called Han, Bail and a search for 'Stars End', which should be familiar to SW fans- if only for the droid, Bollux.

The books are phenomenal though. The world building is sensational, and I've already got his (excuse me if this sounds familiar) belated prequels and sequels pencilled in for nanoseconds after finishing book three.

SBT

Richard

Once you've finished the original trilogy, read the sequels first, not only for the obvious reason but also because the prequels just aren't as good.

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2021, 08:35:47 PM
Once you've finished the original trilogy, read the sequels first, not only for the obvious reason but also because the prequels just aren't as good.

I'm planning on reading them in the order he wrote them. Which I believe is Edge, Earth, Prelude and Forward. The series reminds me of a board game I had as a kid, with artwork reminiscent of Flash Gordon spaceships. I was lucky enough to have the game, fall in love with the designs, and have been exposed to the Star Wars universe, at around the same time- so all are merged in my brain. Foundation is the perfect amalgam of it all and it's weird to have found something so... perfect... forty-one years later. I'm completely loving them.

SBT

broodblik

Foundation was a wonderful series. I am quite intrigued to see how it translate into a series and I am sure that in only concept they will keep with the books but nothing else.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

pictsy

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 17 February, 2021, 07:23:02 AM
Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2021, 08:35:47 PM

I'm planning on reading them in the order he wrote them. Which I believe is Edge, Earth, Prelude and Forward. The series reminds me of a board game I had as a kid, with artwork reminiscent of Flash Gordon spaceships. I was lucky enough to have the game, fall in love with the designs, and have been exposed to the Star Wars universe, at around the same time- so all are merged in my brain. Foundation is the perfect amalgam of it all and it's weird to have found something so... perfect... forty-one years later. I'm completely loving them.

SBT

This is how I've always recommend people read them.  It's gone down well with those who've taken me up on my recommendation.  The prequels aren't necessarily bad or worse, but they are different and take liberties.  Having re-read them last year I tend to think of them as their own thing.

As for the TV series, I'm gonna pass on this one.  I saw the trailer and it sounded alarm bells for me.  I will endeavour to finish reading the damn books again.  I got stuck on Second Foundation because I stopped reading at Christmas.  I did start with Caves of Steel, though and waded through a lot of books... I may have burnt out.

Funt Solo

I burnt out on a Banks re-read and took a short break ... of six years. I'm back into it now.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++