Main Menu

Hogan and Parkhouse's Resident Alien to become a telly show?

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 March, 2015, 04:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

I've watched the three episodes.  Hard to get to attached to it because I imagine it'll become terrible like all US shows that have the odd couple/murder solving dynamic. 

My wife likes it though and it's relatively easy to get through an episode.  Tudyk's alright.  I don't like 'Con Man' much but other than that he's solid.

von Boom

I'm finding it hard to get enthused about this show. It's merely okay. It feels formulaic already and I suspect that trend will only worsen if it gets more than one season.

My wife also seems to like it more than I do. Maybe it just appeals to ladies more.

IndigoPrime

From the sounds of it, this has about as much in common with the source material as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, then. Not a huge surprise, but a pity. It's a really great comic, but presumably too thoughtful and not brash enough for a US TV show. I'll stick with the original in this case, I think.

repoman

Quote from: von Boom on 14 February, 2021, 01:35:01 PM
I'm finding it hard to get enthused about this show. It's merely okay. It feels formulaic already and I suspect that trend will only worsen if it gets more than one season.

Yep.  It's got Lucifer written all over it.

IndigoPrime

Good grief. If it's anywhere near that bad, then I really don't want to be going near it!

BPP

Watched all 5 aired so far and it's so all over the place. The two kids are like a 70s Disney live action movie then someone makes an explicit anal sex joke. The lead actress seems to be in an entirely different more serious show. It's almost 3 shows at once and none of them really clicking. The only good is tudyk  (whose not playing the comic version of the character but is enjoyable in what he does) and the two cops. The two kids are unwatchable as is the new wife character.

Tldr - watching it to support Steve Parkhouse.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

A wife and kids. Er, OK. This really isn't the comic.

von Boom

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

von Boom

So it got the Syfy "Meh, we had to renew something." seal of approval.

TordelBack

The tone would give you whiplash, and the focus is all over the place, but Tudyk's K2SO schtick is good enough to deserve a longer hearing, and after several episodes I'm still watching

repoman

I stuck with it and didn't hate it.  I thought it was going to be a 'murder of the week' kind of thing.  Like Castle or, worse, Bones.  But it didn't do that.

The later episodes all had one or two moments that made them worthwhile. 

It's the sort of thing that would benefit from being one season and then pissing off before it gets cancelled.  I'm disappointed there's a second season because now it just seems like the story is secondary and they'll be making it up as they go along.

IndigoPrime

I think, judging from the response on this thread, I'll just pretend this show doesn't exist and look forward to the final book to add to the collection. I'm not surprised it's tonally messy. The original is a very gentle kind of comic and that obviously won't do for US TV—at least not this network.

Colin YNWA

I'll probably check this out as a curio at some point but little more than that. 

Have the issues for the last series building up in my nerd shop and very much looking forward to those.