Main Menu

That gum you like is going to come back in style -

Started by JOE SOAP, 15 May, 2014, 11:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Did anyone else think that [spoiler]the segment of the episode that showed the bomb testing and Bob arriving in the ensuing atomic chaos was just like an extended version of the stargate from the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey?[/spoiler]

Not sure if it was a homage, rip-off, or what, but it just felt a bit jarring for me. 

However, the phrase [spoiler]'Got a light?'[/spoiler] will now forever send chills down my spine.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 April, 2018, 07:18:37 PM
Did anyone else think that [spoiler]the segment of the episode that showed the bomb testing and Bob arriving in the ensuing atomic chaos was just like an extended version of the stargate from the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey?[/spoiler]

Not sure if it was a homage, rip-off, or what, but it just felt a bit jarring for me. 

However, the phrase [spoiler]'Got a light?'[/spoiler] will now forever send chills down my spine.

Thinking about it, that part is reminiscent, but that whole episode reminded me more of Eraserhead than anything else.

Colin YNWA

Well just watched Episode 8 and that was one of the most astonishing things I've ever seen.

I reckon the reference to Eraserhead must mean I'm safe to look at those spoiler tags shaolin_monkey!

Astonishing!

abelardsnazz

Glad you liked it. One of the most unforgettable hours of TV I think I've ever seen.

Apestrife

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 26 April, 2018, 12:47:16 PM
Glad you liked it. One of the most unforgettable hours of TV I think I've ever seen.

Second that.

Colin YNWA

Well that was all rather superb wasn't it. I've taken my time and not binged but got there.

My take is like Joe Soap that's our lot and its all there. Just takes some picking out... now I'd happily have and take more, but I'd be surprised. I also think, at the moment I go with Muon's reading of things. I think Laura is some kind of 'Christ' figure, created in episode 6 to to absorb / expose the pain Bob reaps on the world.

So Cooper embodies both the best and worse in mankind always assuming it can find and solve the pain in this world, but courses much of it aided by the 'demons' inside. At the end as said his actions seem to encapulate Cooper, Mr C and Dougie (the naive dumb simple hero who is able to affect positive change but doesn't really function in the real world?) as he turns into something new, resisting change with all that he has (there's probably something in Diane embracing here change however sad she found that). So he resists change, fights it convinced that he has a mission for good and all he does is return Laura to the source of her pain and suffering and bring it all back full circle...

...hmmm its probably got something to do with the modern state of America ... or fiction and stories... but I've got more work to do with that...

... Christ I love fiction in any form that makes you work with it, think about it and willingly return to it to learn and try again and most importantly is so affecting that and wonderful that you want to do so the moment you finish it... as I said before though there should be a warning 'Do watch before trying to sleep'!

Twin Peaks continues to be amongst the very best fiction in any media out there. Superb.

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 May, 2018, 06:49:10 AM
...hmmm its probably got something to do with the modern state of America ... or fiction and stories... but I've got more work to do with that...

I felt alot of it tied into trauma. For example a-bomb episode. The bomb sort of being "the big one" in regards of that. Another one being Laura's. Cooper not being able to save her from the pain felt very "real" I think.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 May, 2018, 06:49:10 AM
Twin Peaks continues to be amongst the very best fiction in any media out there. Superb.

It really is.

Toni Scandella

Yup. The Return was superb, even beating the original run for me.

Apestrife

I watched Eraserhead, Blue velvet, Mullholand Drive, Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me and then Twin Peaks: The return. All of their beauty, ugliness, fun and sorrow felt entwined. Especially with the use of colour blue and lashing sounds of electricity.

I've yet to watch Lost highway and Inland empire. Any good?

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Apestrife on 07 July, 2019, 12:39:01 PM
I watched Eraserhead, Blue velvet, Mullholand Drive, Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me and then Twin Peaks: The return. All of their beauty, ugliness, fun and sorrow felt entwined. Especially with the use of colour blue and lashing sounds of electricity.

I've yet to watch Lost highway and Inland empire. Any good?

After Mullholand Drive, Lost Highway is my favourite. I also enjoyed Inland Empire quite a bit once I got used to the handheld videotape way it was filmed. Laura Dern is exceptional in it. Both highly recommended by me.

Hawkmumbler

HOME in Manchester have a Lynch season coming up, including a series of marathons of the entirety of Twin Peaks, his early shorts, and all his theatrical movies.

Dandontdare

I'm not a huge Lynch fan (hated Twin Peaks, and he kinda lost me after Wild at Heart), but my workmate is, and since Home is 5 mins from me, I met him for a pint between screenings on Saturday and we took in the art exhibition - holy shit, never knew he was such a great artist. Photos of the works wouldn't do them justice as some of them are huge, multi-textured and about six inches thick. They are also strange, dark and disturbing, as you'd expect.

I might check out Blue Velvet and Elephant Man later in the week, two outstanding movies before he went all "weirdness for weirdness' sake"

Hawkmumbler

Off to see Elephant Man on Sunday DDD, hope to see you there! And yes that exhibit is wonderful stuff.

Buttonman

I'd colour myself as a moderate fan. First series great - second not so much. Last a bit flabby and self indulgent.

That said I'm staying at the Great Northern in September - The Salish Lodge and Spa. And yes, they do damn fine cherry pie!

Link Prime

Some season 4 rumours swirling around at the moment - anyone (Joe) have anything concrete?