Main Menu

Wild and Wacky VS Good Solid Story

Started by Tiplodocus, 07 September, 2004, 11:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I know that putting labels on things is normally a bad thing to do but on occasion, it can be fun.

It came to me at the weekend that there are (at least) TWO kinds of comics writers:

Good Solid Story Writer
The story and the character is the star.  It moves forward at a good pace in an easily recognisable science fiction or fantasy universe.  The good guy might not necessarily win but by the end of the story, you know you've reached the end of the story.I

Wild and Wacky Concept Writer
There are some wild and crazy ideas floating around in the ten gazillion parallel universes. Here's a universe where "kinetic energy bleeds into music", here's a gigantic ship travelling through WHENSPACE that is so big that the end of the ship hasn't been finished built when the front launches and it catches up on itself in a loop of perpetual knowingness.

S
H
A
T
T
E
R
L
I
G
H
T

You all know the sort of thing - the story ends and you aren't entirely sure what happened.

So does anyone fancy pigeon holing a few writers?  

Please note that in no way am I saying one is better than the other. I've read and enjoyed both kinds.  Or feel free to add your own categories?  Of just tell us what you prefer.  Don't feel you have to limit yourself to comic writers by the way.

Here are some easy ones to start with:

John Wagner - Good Solid Story

John Smith - Wild and Wacky Concept
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Noah Angel

Alan Moore - Good Solid Story

Alan Moore - Wild and Wacky Concept

Dudley

Gordon Rennie - Good Solid Story
Pat Mills - Wild n Wacky

Andy Diggle

Ideally, give me both - but if it's a toss-up, give me a good solid story any day.