Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I must admit that I initially suspected that it was all a big wind up, but having seen the film, it's clear that it's the real deal. It's such a transparent vanity project by the 'auteur', he plays this martyr figure and the whole film is about what a wonderful person he is - literally even the bit part characters remark on what an amazing guy he is. And then his best friend and girlfriend stitch him up. It's so clearly based on something that happened to him in real life, it's painful.

Part of the charm is that English isn't Wiseau's first language, so the entire script sounds like it has been run through Google translate several times, characters coming out with bizarre statements like "Keep your stupid comments in your pocket!".

Then there's the bonkers subplots that are introduced and never referenced again, roles obviously being recast halfway through the film, the inexplicable decision to use a terrible green screen set for exterior scenes, the excessive use of stock footage...

It really is quite something.

Gonk

DA,.. DA,... DA,.... DADUM!.... 2001 A Space Odyssey. Again this would only be half the film it was if it wasn't for the music soundtrack. Not a 3D movie but when it was first shown in cinemas three screens were used.
coming at a cinema near you soon

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 January, 2012, 08:22:24 PM
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, in the IMAX. Very nice to see something that's obviously been made with IMAX very much in mind, the Dubai scenes are genuinely breathtaking and made for the format.
You and Tips weren't the only people to recommend the Imax version, but it was certainly a factor. This is the first time I've seen a proper film in the format and it was very impressive. I enjoyed this, and I love the commitment to crazy stunt sequences involving higher and higher buildings, but I didn't think it was up there with 2 or 3. The main reason for that was Simon Pegg's character. I think it's fine to have someone like that in the film for a bit of comic relief in a couple of scenes but when he becomes part of the main team bringing his schtick to the whole film it becomes grating very quickly.
Apparently Tom Cruise did his own stunts, so maximum respect as there's no fecking way I'd step out on there!
Yeah, I think he's big on the climbing. Didn't he do the free-climbing bit in the opening sequence to MI:2 as well?

Also, there was a 6 minute scene from The Dark Knight Rises, which looked tremendous. The action was really spectacular and Bane looks really menacing, but he's completely unintelligible for most of it.
This is odd. Both my mates said the same thing, but I had absolutely no problem with it.

I know it's probably intended in the same way as the pre-credit sequence in a Bond film, but that scene was beyond ludicrous. Amazing stuff and has me really excited for the film: IMAX will be a must.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Cosh on 22 January, 2012, 03:02:18 PM
Apparently Tom Cruise did his own stunts, so maximum respect as there's no fecking way I'd step out on there!
Yeah, I think he's big on the climbing. Didn't he do the free-climbing bit in the opening sequence to MI:2 as well?

He must be so far up the Scientology OT scale that he can fly now.

Quote from: The Cosh on 22 January, 2012, 03:02:18 PMI know it's probably intended in the same way as the pre-credit sequence in a Bond film, but that scene was beyond ludicrous. Amazing stuff and has me really excited for the film: IMAX will be a must.

Yes, it's absolutely ludicrous, probably why we eventually got to see it for free, which is pretty mad since it was probably the most expensive scene in the film. These are the type of scenes I dislike most in Nolan's films. If he loves Bond so much why doesn't he just take over the franchise instead of shoe-horning this type of scene into his latter films.

Professor Bear

I was commenting to a mate the other day that Tom Cruise is kind of like a Bizarro Michael Barrymore, in that the tabloid press got the knives out when the latter was confirmed as gay*, while they got the knives out for the former when he was confirmed as straight.  Anyhoo, saw MI3 and liked it a lot, even if the bit at the end confused me - why was he holding his head?  Why was that important?  Was the bomb thing making a noise as well?  Some good stunts, but the best part of it was the incidental recreation of the Hunt character as a grown adult rather than the eternal adolescent beloved of the American action hero genre, becoming a teacher and investing in the future, starting a family... basically it's like seeing the action movie try to grow up and get away from central characters who are total jerks, which I think is welcome.  Probably the best of the first three films.

*And boy did they not half think it was Christmas when that poor bugger died in Barrymore's pool.

Tiplodocus

Absolutely ludicrous - yes, but aren't comics full of absolutely ludicrous things?

Anyway, STAR TREK - FIRST CONTACT, which is one of my first choices for stagger in slightly drunk and watch at 1 am movies.  Patrick Stewart gets to say 'The line will be drawn HE-YAH!' and then quote Moby Dick and Data gets a blow job. And fantastic score and special effects. Loved it!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Despite being an artificial man, Data has a functioning cock, which we know from one of the very first episodes of TNG.  Because Gene Roddenberry decided we needed to know these things.

The 80s were crazy times.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 January, 2012, 11:54:00 PM
Absolutely ludicrous - yes, but aren't comics full of absolutely ludicrous things?
I, for one, meant it in a positive way.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 22 January, 2012, 11:49:38 PM
I was commenting to a mate the other day that Tom Cruise is kind of like a Bizarro Michael Barrymore, in that the tabloid press got the knives out when the latter was confirmed as gay*, while they got the knives out for the former when he was confirmed as straight.

When was Tom Cruise confirmed straight? I don't think anything can be confirmed of this enigma of a man.

Roger Godpleton

Tom Cruise jokes, eh? Yet more cutting-edge humour from the house of Soap.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Godpleton is Xenu's peg-boy.

Gonk

Another David Lynch film : "Dune".
coming at a cinema near you soon

Spaceghost

Just watched The Guard starring the brilliant Brendan Gleeson as a cynical small town Irish copper who get's reluctantly embroiled in an FBI investigation into a gang of drug dealers.

Really funny with some excellent, laugh-out-loud dialogue. Gleeson is really likeable despite his character's flaws and there is some great support from Mark Strong and Liam Cunningham as philosophy-loving gangsters.

Laughed my head off. I like how Irish people unnecessarily say 'sure' too often.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

ICONIC_TM