Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Judge Jack on 09 May, 2013, 05:42:26 PM
Quote from: radiator on 09 May, 2013, 01:22:21 PM
I've never actually seen Jackie Brown, Death Proof or Inglorious Basterds!

Jackie Brown is a great film. Deffo one of his best, i think. Highly recommended. (Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds, is where, for me, the rot set in).

I loved Inglorious Basterds!  So many great scenes!  Jackie Brown was ok, but De Niro was just brilliant.

Daveycandlish

Basterds is a corker of a film - especially that first ten minute scene in the cabin...
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Mabs

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 09 May, 2013, 06:11:29 PM
Basterds is a corker of a film - especially that first ten minute scene in the cabin...

Yeah that was superb. Such a slow burning and tense scene. That whole sequence encapsulates Sergio Leone perfectly (and Basterds is foremost for me, a tribute of sorts to the late master by Tarantino).
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JamesC

Love a bit of Tarantino.

True Romance is actually one of my faves even though it was directed by Tony Scott. There's an extra on the old DVD where they talk about how Tony Scott persuaded Tarantino that the ending should be changed.
I was talking to a work colleague about Taken 2 shortly after we'd both seen it at the cinema. We came to the conclusion that the main problem we both had was that Famke Jannson never fights for her life in the whole film - she's just such a pathetic victim. It's the polar opposite to Alabama in True Romance; after she fights that mobster you're cheering for her and, fuck me, you really want her to make it.

Bastards is great fun with some truly incredible scenes in the cabin and the tavern.

If you didn't like Kill Bill 2 you probably won't have much patience with Death Proof. It's similarly ponderous and talky but I found both films really absorbing. A lot of it has to do with the casting - I could pretty much watch Carradine or Russell read the phone book.

Colin YNWA

Inglorious Basterds is in fact glorious. Not having seen Reserviour Dogs or Pulp Fiction for an age its currently my favourite by him, though I hear good things about Django

Mabs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 09 May, 2013, 06:03:36 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 09 May, 2013, 05:42:26 PM
Quote from: radiator on 09 May, 2013, 01:22:21 PM
I've never actually seen Jackie Brown, Death Proof or Inglorious Basterds!

Jackie Brown is a great film. Deffo one of his best, i think. Highly recommended. (Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds, is where, for me, the rot set in).

I loved Inglorious Basterds!  So many great scenes!  Jackie Brown was ok, but De Niro was just brilliant.

Fonda: Wanna fuck?
De Niro: Yeah.

[three minutes later]

Fonda: That was fun.
De Niro: Yeah, that hit the spot.

:lol:

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I have finally seen MOON

Best sci-fi movie in ........maybe ever?

Sam Rockwell and also Sam Rockwell is a treat.

But my favourite?

Girty the robot.

Have you heard of the Uncanny Valley?

Here are some more examples:

Well, anyway, the way Girty (a robot) communicated with emoticons was fucking ingenious.
You may quote me on that.

Mabs

Lol! Moon is indeed a classic, and one of my favourite sci-fi films of recent years. Sam Rockwell is absolutely fucking superb as Sam Bell ....and Sam Bell! If you see the making of you can appreciate just how much work went into that role. Rockwell is just perfect for the film, i couldn't envision anyone else doing a better job. There's a moment in the film when he just cries "I wanna go home" and it damn near broke my heart.  :'(

And you are right El Pops, Girty is the highlight of the film. Just plain awesome.

A beautiful, stunning film. I cannot wait to see Bowie Jr/Duncan Jones' next film.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

von Boom

Judge Minty. Simply amazing work.

Recrewt

Quote from: El Pops on 09 May, 2013, 09:07:45 PM
I have finally seen MOON

But my favourite?

Girty the robot.

Moon was on tv over Xmas and I was really impressed with it. Wasn't something I was particularly interested in seeing before that. Had an 'old style' sci fi feel to it like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When I have discussed it with people since, they seem to either love it or thought it was really boring and switched off halfway through!

von Boom

Quote from: Recrewt on 10 May, 2013, 12:07:43 AM
Quote from: El Pops on 09 May, 2013, 09:07:45 PM
I have finally seen MOON

But my favourite?

Girty the robot.

Moon was on tv over Xmas and I was really impressed with it. Wasn't something I was particularly interested in seeing before that. Had an 'old style' sci fi feel to it like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When I have discussed it with people since, they seem to either love it or thought it was really boring and switched off halfway through!

Moon is a great film, but I can understand why some people would switch it off as it's a proper science fiction film and not science fantasy.

I, Cosh

Saw Dragon at the pictures the other day without realising it was now a couple of years old. Donnie Yen is the quiet farmer who manages to kill a pair of thieves; Takeshi Kaneshiro the cop convinced there's more than just luck going on and relentlessly digs up the past. I really enjoyed this. There's a definite History of Violence flavour to the set up and the way the film focuses on Yen's relationship with his new family for long stretches. That this doesn't mean a dull mid-section is testament to Yen's screen presence. I really can't think of another martial arts star who could carry the dramatic portion of the film so well.

Kaneshiro's investigator is another great character whose problems with the law vs justice (he's on the side of the former) may be familiar to some. The way his forensic insights are illustrated is a neat, Hannibal-lite that allows the initial fight scene to be revisited a number of different ways and just one part of the film's overall strong look.

If there's one flaw it's that [spoiler]Yen's old crimes turn out to be so evil that you're not sure he really deserves his redemption[/spoiler]. Overall this is a cracker.

Also saw Iron Man 3, which was pretty decent. Certainly wipes away the memory of number 2. Really liked the interaction with the kid - "Fathers leave. Don't be a pussy about it." - and the big reveal. Though it looked like the climactic exploding was done with old-fashioned models which is neato. Maybe a bit too much Tony-without-gadgets but that might've been the point and not enough of the biologist lady but overall fun stuff.
We never really die.

radiator

QuoteMoon is a great film, but I can understand why some people would switch it off as it's a proper science fiction film and not science fantasy.

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood when I watched it but it bored me to tears. The last straw was when the guy walks in on the robot communicating with the people on Earth in a fashion that seemed quite unintentionally goofy, and then I switched it off.

Spikes

JFK (1991) - And in its gloriously bum-numbing 198 minute Director's cut version.

I can well remember catching this (the theatrical version, that is) at the time, and being left breathless by it all.
But a few years down the line, and more importantly Oliver Stone's playing fast and loose with the real life history - always this films achilles heel, now makes it comes across like the best X-Files movie ever.

Its still a great film though, and one that's a frenatically charged paranoid rollercoaster ride. And features a uniformally great ensemble cast.
And Stone certainly directs this with a gusto, and employs a dizzying amount of cinematic techniques, to get across his interpretation of the events.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 May, 2013, 12:16:35 PM
pretty decent. Certainly wipes away the memory of number 2.

Quote of the week. You're confusing previous instalments of the Iron Man franchise with Pasolini's Salò.