Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Shite 1980s post-apocalyptic action films are like crack cocaine to me, but The Survivalist is a terrible example of the genre - it promises much and delivers nothing, but if you're still determined to give it a gander, it's (currently) available to view on Youtube.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 May, 2014, 01:42:11 PMEnormously happy with it as such, and have spent more than enough time with both consoles to know I picked the right one for me. Very keen to get that 3D update though all the same, even though I'll probably only watch a 3D movie very occasionally.

MS and Sony are currently playing their consumers for suckers by holding back as much as they can from current gen consoles to see what people will pay for in the long run.  Despite claims from the companies to the contrary, I have doubts if we'll ever see native video or audio file playback on the current generation of hardware when they're currently raking in cash from paid streaming services (especially now that ISPs have figured out a way to legally blackmail content providers, which will drive up costs for always-online media players).  Ditto "extras" like 3d playback and higher video resolution - why spend development cash on something you'll just give away?  Far better to charge money for it through an app store, which also has the added bonus of creating competing apps that do much the same job but which the companies who own the app stores will be paid for regardless of which one you choose - if you happen to choose poorly and need to download a different app later, all the better.

I'm sure you're a lovely human being, Keef - but in this regard you and many others are jive suckers.

HdE

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 May, 2014, 02:21:55 PM
Shite 1980s post-apocalyptic action films are like crack cocaine to me...

This does raise the question: What is crack cocaine like to you?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 May, 2014, 01:42:11 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 May, 2014, 01:20:52 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 May, 2014, 11:49:46 AM
Got a 3D telly but rather annoyingly I got it around the same time as I bought my XB1 and sold my PS3

Anyone who upgrades to a current gen console right now to use it as a media hub is a jive sucker - if they've upgraded to the low-spec XB1 they are especially so, possibly approaching jive turkey levels of jive.

Enormously happy with it as such, and have spent more than enough time with both consoles to know I picked the right one for me. Very keen to get that 3D update though all the same, even though I'll probably only watch a 3D movie very occasionally.

When the ex and I split up I allowed her custody of the PS3, as I had far more titles for the 360.  And then Dredd came out and I HAD to buy a 3D telly.  Only then did I realise my horrible mistake.

In the meantime, I got a 3D Blu Ray player.  You can pick up reasonable ones for about £40 these days - I recommend it, if you have cash to spare. 

JamesC

The Wolverine

Overall I though it was pretty good but somewhat let down by the final act.
[spoiler]When Wolverine went to rescue the girl I wanted to see him cut loose and cut down anyone in his way. Instead he got captured (again). The Silver Samurai robot looked pretty good but the fight didn't make for a very exciting action sequence.[/spoiler]
I think this film would have benefited from a less bombastic ending. Something along the lines of the finale in Enter the Dragon would have been good.

I'm glad I've seen it though, and I look forward to Days of Future Past.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2014, 08:40:43 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 12 May, 2014, 12:00:43 AM
I also can't get over the fact that none of the actors, in Liam in particular are not anywhere speaking in the right accent. I believe they should, sound more northern, like they come from [Norway or what country those Norse gods originate from...

Asgard?  More a different dimension than a place in Norway, I suspect, and thus subject to the booming tones and sibilant hisses of Generic Fantasy English, with occasional mewling quim for, errr, flavour.

I was thinking of the people that worshipped them as well when I wrote that..... my bad.

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2014, 08:40:43 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 12 May, 2014, 12:00:43 AM
This bit of your review gave me a good hearty morning chuckle, Thryll old man - worthy of the Godpleton himself:
Thor enters on a field of battle in his usual awesome fashion -the thing with the Rainbow Bridge teleportation device or is that giant Unicorn pissing him onto the ground. Showering the ground with it's glittery urination. -

Yes, now I'm thinking maybe a invisible giant unicorn and that might look weird. Then I saw the last panel of this weeks Slaine and thought OMG!!!!

ThryllSeekyr

Watched bits and pieces of Battlefield Earth while playing the Alpha of Elite: Dangerous game which is bloody awesome in it's current phase, but also brutally hard. I have only just mastered touching down on the landing pad inside the orbital station. Which is easier to enter, but the landing pad is a nail biter. I have this habit of using boost before using throttle once I'm pointing the ship at the exit. I think this is almost the equivalent to -dropping the clutch-. Except now, I think they have made it less climatic, less intense and my ship stops dead before making it to the exit. Before... it's well and truly clear of the entrance on the other side.

I do hope they restore boost when the full game is ready near the end of this month.

Check out my write-up later. I know it's late, and I hadn't really bothered with the Alpha until later last month.

Now about the film......

I only really took notice of a couple of scenes from this movie that despite it's terrible adaption. I wonder if they will ever make a sequel. 

Like, the villain is there right at the end.

When the human slaves are being fed and one of them demands he eats before the others and this breaks down into a argument..... where the hero of film announces that we all eat at the same time....

That's a nice thought....except for those who have already eaten and then get to unfairly eat again. No one is keeping the score, but still it hurts to be compromised and upset that I always come last.

What's his name, John Travolta shooting a cow while performing a combat roll on the ground and mumbling something in his alien tongue that sounded hilarious.

I actually missed seeing this part both times, but remember and heard it while on the computer.

This was a classic scene as one of the rat-humans fires a bazooka cannon rocket at one of the alien sky-ships taking it down as another one lines up a shot at him from behind and then a mall squadron of vintage jet-fighters appear out of nowhere taking it down in kind. As one of the pilots makes this embarrassing war-cry ending with some monkey hoots. He just sounds really dumb despite the technology at his finger tips. I could almost imagine Slaine in his position, yelling one of his more fashionable sound bites.

And the ending......he's in a cage supposedly missing one arm or hand. I missed the part where the hero shoots him and yet he still lives. I can see there is huge opportunity for sequel, except the film was such a flop, I doubt it will ever happen. 

Leverage...interesting word used a lot in the film. Now, what if it was the rat-humans were the masters and the larger aliens were the slaves. They kind of remind me of the lazy and easily beaten titans of Slaine's....Tir-Nan-Og.

That's all I have........so it's back to dealing with my new computer that has been giving me all sorts of trouble yesterday and this morning.

I think, I will just go back to playing Elite-Dangerous at it's present stage. It's the only game I have working right now. It's various MMO's, some games on STEAM, I have downloaded and installed are playing up. There are some missing files from what I have already downloaded/installed, I think and now I have to do this all over again. Which has already taken me days to do.

Hawkmumbler

Frank (2014): I know a lot of people where kinda beffudled by the trailers for this film. Don't be, it's not Frank Sidebottom. Just someone wearing a mask like his, hinted as having been inspired by the TV host.

This movie is pure, unadulterated emotion. It's a film that sing's about how society percieves mental illness and disability, how these people try to find some way to express themselves but often get cut off or derided by society, how cruel anonymity on the internet can be to said people, lack of social acceptance, different perspectives on love and relationships, how seriously screwed the music industry is currently and so on and so forth. I could gush about this movie for ages because it was just wonderful. The humour is darkly british and biting, often remorsless but ultimately it's all sweetend by the fact that the leads just don't give a fuck what the world thinks of them. Wonderful, wonderful film.

Recrewt

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 May, 2014, 10:57:46 AM
Frank (2014): I know a lot of people where kinda beffudled by the trailers for this film. Don't be, it's not Frank Sidebottom. Just someone wearing a mask like his, hinted as having been inspired by the TV host.

I was rather befuddled my this movie and it wasn't helped when the initial reports showed a picture of Frank and I immediately thought Frank Sidebottom but was informed this had nothing to do with him.  It later emerged that it did have something to do with Frank Sidebottom and was originally born as his story, written by one of his bandmates.  I'm still not sure entirely what we have ended up with but it is something I will keep an eye out for when it gets its DVD release.

Frank Sidebottom was a wonderful, crazy character that seemed to come out around the same time as Vic and Bob.  Always brought a smile to my face and I would also like to see a proper life story of him released.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Recrewt on 15 May, 2014, 01:18:37 PM
Frank Sidebottom was a wonderful, crazy character that seemed to come out around the same time as Vic and Bob.  Always brought a smile to my face and I would also like to see a proper life story of him released.

I wish I remembered him fondly, but as a small child in the '80s, I just found him utterly terrifying.
@jamesfeistdraws

Goaty

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 May, 2014, 01:35:55 PM

I wish I remembered him fondly, but as a small child in the '80s, I just found him utterly terrifying.

I remember Frank was some Bond villain on some children's programme? Or was I dream again?

Recrewt

HaHa! Don't go to Timperley then DJ - he still stalks the streets.

Dark Jimbo

It was partly the voice, and partly the fact that nobody ever acknowledged his massive papier-mache bonce. As he capered about a stage I would think 'What is wrong with that man's head?! Am I the only one seeing this?!'
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

I file him alongside the likes of John Cooper Clarke and Vic Reeves in the special category of performers whose schtick makes my skin crawl yet are held in fond regard by millions.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Kick -Ass 2

The reviews I've read have bee largely negative, but I enjoyed it a lot. I'm glad they toned down a couple of the more unsavoury things from Millar's comic. I think I preferred this to the comic overall.