Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Saw the film American Ultra the other night.

With Jesse Isenberg and Kirsten Stewart who were also both in some film set in some small American town amusement park.

While this film could almost be a sequel to that one, I don't think so.

This one sends a message not to fuck with those late night store attendants and especially if they turn out to be sleeper agents that can disarm and murder you and your buddy with your own weapon or use any thing they can find for a weapon like he was trained to professionally do before he was brain washed into thinking he was just a regular stoner dude and his stoner girl.

Kind of like the Bourne Identity...except he's got this grungy look about him with the longer messy hair and likes to draw pictures of some comic book character he developed himself called Apollo Ape which is kind of like that and you learn more about this later on in the film.

The thing about Jesse is that he's always the same guy in every film, like he's just being himself if that is who he really is and sometimes this works in his favour and other times I think this is just slack.

Anyway, after the initial excitement learning about his previous life, I started to day dream and pay less attention to what I was watching.

About the his latent fighting skills, I thought I was seeing movies from that Mad-Max game being used and then noticed. I swear the way he parried the knife attack (Of these Agent-Goons sent to destroy him!) and then his reversal move that left him with his own knife shoved up from under his chin and through the top of his skull had some parallels with what I had experience with Max's combat upgrades in that game. Then was some goon ramming their car off the side of bridge while they were just sitting in it there panicky-talking to one another about his previous latent skills in espionage and the people the are after him.   
Then this fellow, another bad guy from that show called Justified pours some petrol on their turtled car from a very familiar looking jerry-can. Like I swear I was doing almost the same thing in this Mad-Max earlier that day back on the computer. There were other things I noticed as well, but not so well remembered now.

There's this geeky main character from That 70's Show and who was in Two & a Half-Men and the wimpy bi-framed guy from Arrested-Development. The one who still got bossed around by his over-bearing mother and in this film without the bi-frames only did a very convincing portrayal of how creepy he really is after my initial confusion over that feeling somebody you have seen before, but don't quite remember because they're not wearing their glass's and trying to be much cooler than the last role on television. Superman and Clark Kent he is definitely not.

Then there is Connie Britton, who's hotter than the average closer to retirement home age woman who really turns out a couple years older than I am and normally younger looking if you don't mind women that look like they've exposed themselves to the elements for too long and wouldn't be altogether out of place in a Mad Max film. I thought she was the mother from Wonder-Years.....

And no, I was wrong, she's from the first installment of American Horror series that almost into it's fifth season, I think.

I found was staring at her more than Kirsten because I prefer the sun-loved-healthy to the moon-loved-slim. Not that the latter is al that bad either, but she does come across not my choice.

That fellow who was  the president in Independence ay , Bill Pullman... I think , he was in it too and the later years look like they have ben kind to him too.

You should all go and see this film, merely because Jesse who is called Mike is also a budding comic-book artist and potential animator.

Then my bladder threatened to empty itself in the used cup of soft drink I had finished earlier, but I did the right thing instead and missed a bit of the film before the ending.

Which is really trippy and cool.

Oh, boy, this film reflects on my own experience with late fast-food stall attendants who I now avoid out of a need for some much needed peace. I do wonder about those people now, but don't see it as a excuse for them to be rude and snotty at me. It's not like I can't leap over the counter make my own burger and fires.

Buttonman

I hope you all enjoyed your 10 day's off! What now you ask? Well it's What Now - a classic of its time, which was sadly half an hour ago.

Theblazeuk

Battle of the Five Armies

Pretty but dull for a movie with so many Orcs. All the Heroes of the movie must be like 20th level at least. Apart from Legolas who is level 21 it seems.

As everyone else has said be better if it they'd cut out all the padded stuff - a two-parter even would've kept my attention.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 September, 2015, 04:08:31 PM
Battle of the Five Armies

Pretty but dull for a movie with so many Orcs. All the Heroes of the movie must be like 20th level at least. Apart from Legolas who is level 21 it seems.

As everyone else has said be better if it they'd cut out all the padded stuff - a two-parter even would've kept my attention.

With a relatively small amount of googling, I suspect you'll be able to find a fan's 'Tolkien edit' of the three movies that puts the focus back on Bilbo, excises pretty much everything not in the book, and gets the whole shebang into four and a half hours.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

You'd probably still need a more interesting less calculating Bilbo than Jackson and Freeman's version to anchor the film. He's basically done as a character after his chat with Smaug halfway through DoS, and then just runs and climbs around and kills things  until he shares a quiet pipe with Gandalf and heads home to interrupt the auction. There's no payoff for his relationship with Balin and Bofur (or even really Thorin), which are highlights of the first two installments. Maybe there's so ething useable in the extended BotFA? After all Farramir largely ended up on the cutting room floor in the theatrical version of LotR.  Although my money's actually on more CGI chariots and giant war goats.

ThryllSeekyr

I have the Rankin Bass cartoon version on DVD, but also planning to get the whole trilogy of the feature films with edits puts back in it when this becomes available. or has it already.

I don't mind the films so much, no matter how badly rework they might be, but I pretty sure that Bilbo doesn't even get knocked on conscious in that last film, during huge battle like it was originally written. I would normally know this, except that I what I recall from the cartoon.

Buttonman

When Calls the Heart - Hallmark TV movie starring the daughter off 'Taken' - scraping the barrel? Oh yes!

Also saw 50/50 which I enjoyed - wee tear in the eye at the end. Wife's not mine, of course.

Goaty

The Sixth Sense

Why every time the boy tell his mother scene always make me cry!

JamesC

Horns.

Enjoyable but I'm not really sure what it was trying to say (if anything). It seemed to be trying very hard to become one of those instant indie cult films like Donnie Darko.
The twist was pretty obvious but it was still a fun watch and I thought Daniel Radcliffe was really good in it.

von Boom

Everest. Based on the true story of the 1996 tragedy where several climbers die in a severe and unexpected storm.

A good film really. Tense and suspenseful, but some of the acting was... awkward *cough*Brolin*cough*.

I did see it in 3D-IMAX and the views are simply gorgeous.

radiator

After years of pestering, I finally got my girlfriend to watch Battle Royale.

Her reaction? About ten minutes in she turned to me and said "This is way better than The Hunger Games. They get right to it, don't they?".  :lol:

Overall she really enjoyed it, much to my surprise. She didn't even mind the ending, which to me was where the film kind of falls apart a bit.

I was curious to see it again as I hadn't seen it in perhaps ten years, but I was pleased to see that it still holds up really well. Great movie.

Buttonman

Quite fancy Everest, not least due to a load of Facebook postings of photos of the dead bodies left up there. Gruesomely fascinating.

I agree Battle Royale fell apart at the end - decent idea but didn't hold onto it and a feeble outcome was the result.

Saw the remake/reboot Vacation and although it was shite I stayed to the end. I nearly shut it off as I thought the wife would be hating it but she was chortling away. Darryl out of 'The Walking Dead' should hang his head in shame though!

ThryllSeekyr

Un-Friended

A film cast with Facebook, Skype and You-Tube, and few other Apts I could remember. I think there was online Chat-room called Chatroulette....

Puts me off the idea of talking to friends using those BTW and the way the film turned out was not what I expected and right now it's on again.

ThryllSeekyr

(Face-Palms).....Apts I couldn't remember the name of.

Missed the start of the film when I was just ending my previous comment there. Not sure it's worth watching again, it's all sad teenage angst internet trolling of the worse kind.

The most interesting thing about this film is that is entirely shot from the POV of the victim-antagonist or Pro-Antagonist sitting in front of their computer screen.

This is should be a spoiler and then there is a bit which reminded me of the free-to-use movie/modelling apt called Blender how boasted that never lost any my own fingers while I started something on it.

Have to the film to find about abut that one, but I wasn't sure why boy did that to himself and then realise maybe it wasn't him.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Buttonman on 21 September, 2015, 06:49:02 PM
Quite fancy Everest, not least due to a load of Facebook postings of photos of the dead bodies left up there. Gruesomely fascinating.

I agree Battle Royale fell apart at the end - decent idea but didn't hold onto it and a feeble outcome was the result.

Saw the remake/reboot Vacation and although it was shite I stayed to the end. I nearly shut it off as I thought the wife would be hating it but she was chortling away. Darryl out of 'The Walking Dead' should hang his head in shame though!

You remember how I sat all the way through a session of what ever was the last X-men film when I thought it should have been Godzilla. Not really, because I walked out half way through to ask the attendant what I should do about my dilemma and they just go back in and we'll sort out the rest out later or words tot he effect. I'm still not sure wether I had to buy extra tickets to see that one, because I think I got kind hooked on the X-men film and wasn't completely sure it was that film until a good five minutes into it I guess and before the opening titles.

Anyway, I did walk in on the start of Everest when I really meant to see Maze Runner Two - The Scorch Trials which turned out to be much less interesting than the first film and with eventual inclusion of Barry Pepper as one of the out-doorsey freedom fighters and I think the leader of them or at least somebody important. 

I was expecting John Travolta's one armed alien and former overseer escaped from him jail cell make a appearance  of some importance or brief cameo and then ....Foiled Again!

I lost track of what the lot after returning from call of nature and almost need had bothered since it was that close to finish and a bit of a anti-climax.