Main Menu

Send your love to Ian Gibson

Started by rogue69, 10 December, 2023, 10:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

One of the great, distinctive creators who made 2000AD stand out from all the rest.

It's easy to point to Dredd as done by wonderful artists like Bolland, Dillon, and Ron Smith... but then you have someone like Gibson whose style was so different to their realism, and yet still absolutely, 100% Dredd.

Regards,
Robin

IAMTHESYSTEM

Awful news. Ian Gibson's distinctive style was unique on Judge Dredd, Halo Jones or Robo-Hunter—a damn shame. Another legend becomes immortal, so condolences to his family, work colleagues and all those at 2000AD/Rebellion.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

rogue69

With a heavy heart Ian Gibson's family have announced his passing today aged 77.

moly

That's awful news, always enjoyed talking to him, a proper gentleman and probably my favourite artist growing up, gutted

McNulty

Another one of my great favourites of 2000AD has passed. RIP Ian, you will be sorely missed.

Le Fink

Very sad news - one of the greats. Loved your work Ian - RIP.

Dash Decent

An artist with a style all his own.  Even the way he added his name to his work, "Gibson", was beautiful.

RIP Ian Gibson, and thanks.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

karlos

So, so sad.

My love to all who knew and loved him.

His work is eternal.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Swerty

I can only echo what has already been said.Robohunter was one of my faves.
RIP

Hawkmumbler

A real loss to art, not just in the comicsphere, but as a whole across all mediums. Truly one of the best to ever pick up a pencil and just go with it, and no amount of words can convey how many readers of the prog have been changed for the better as a result of his works.

May he rest well.

TheGrunk

Genuinely distraught. When I was a younger man who hadn't yet realised he wasn't particularly good at drawing, Ian Gibson was my favourite of all the Dredd artists - and still is, by and large. His work was magnificent, not just for its angular lines but his absolutely masterful expressions and staging.

I used to be constantly amazed at how much he could get across with so little ink. My favourite of his Dredds were the Taxidermist and Love Story, but I don't think he ever did a story I didn't find myself immediately caught by. Halo Jones proved just how good he was at catching nuanced, careful progression in a character's ageing, and increasingly wayworn expressions, too.

I don't think there'll ever be such stylish, expressionistic and animated linework in the prog again.

rogue69

Ian's family have started a "go fund me" campaign to help pay for his funeral and for a special headstone

If you would like to help them with the cost of the funeral and headstone please go to

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ian-gibson-comic-art-legend?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet-first-launch&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

rogue69

Up and running for only 7 hours and they have raised over £6,500 for Ian's send off now the more we donate the better the memorial headstone will be

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ian-gibson-comic-art-legend?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet-first-launch&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

AlexF

Devastinating loss. I can't stress enough how much his work meant as a young reader and indeed as an old reader. Love his things, his hair and course, he was the best renderer of robots with all kinds of personalities. The more AI comes to prominence in the real world, the closer I believe we'll come to the Ian Gibson verison of Brit Cit. May he rest in peace.