Main Menu

Boarders 2002 Awards ??

Started by Marbles, 25 November, 2002, 04:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

Should we set up some polls soon for various 'Best Of the Year' awards ie best Dredd story, best writer, best artist, lamest SinDex joke etc etc.

Actually we need to decide on the categories now really if we are going to get a decent amount of pre-Chrimbo polling in ?
Remember - dry hair is for squids

DavidXBrunt

Not a bad idea at all.

My nomination for categories would include -
Best Dredd writer whose name isn't John Wagner,
Best One Part story,
New strip most wanted to have a second run,
and,
Guest character most wanted to return.

eggonlegs

how about best looking icon on the message board?

Devons Daddy

sounds about right the above mentioned awards.
 best icon is a great idea as well. start it this year and carry it on each year after this.
but lets go for it.
should have some slightly more angled questions though, what about
best cover? and sexiest babe. though i will go with this and i think its a great idea.
WAKE can you do this or allow it to take place?best we ask i think.:~)
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Trout

Yeah, best cover, best character, best story, artists, writer, etc.

I agree with that. We could even send them to Green Bonce when they're done.

Best icon based on Judge Fish is a good idea.

- Trout

Tu-plang

Or best icon based on grey.

And boarder most likely to haunt us forever goes to s***o.

(joke, scojo man.)

Wake

If you use the poll system already in place, it doesn't have to involve any new code.

Work out what questions you want to ask, and then ask them - one at a time - leaving enough time between polls for the number of votes top reach 100 or thereabouts.

Polls about message board specific stuff (e.g. favourite icon) won't get as many votes as stuff everyone can vote on.

Also, take a look at the past polls before creating new ones which are exact repeats.

Wake

Jared Katooie

Can we have some kind ceremony online and have boarders present the awards and pretend there's some reason why the winners never turn up?

And Gary could draw a picture of the award and I could present and... and...

Y'know. Something like that.

JK.

Slippery PD

Ok heres my list of polls for the awards,
Best Writer
Best Artist
Best New Writer
Best New Artist
Most Improved Droid
Best Strip
Best New Strip
Golden Turkey Award
Best Message Board Thread
Best Message Board Icon

Well heres ten.  I think that would suffice, Im trying hard not to differintiate between dredd and the others( and to some extent Wagner and the others).  I suppose we need a way a giving the award, even if its just an email to the creator or tharg, presuming of course you are all being serious.......

yer "serious" slippo

Oddboy

Should these be open-ended polls - or should we put forward say 5 nominations for each category?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Slippery PD

Oddie we should probably, somehow get a shortlist.  Oh and can I add in a couple of other awards.
Best Non-2000ad comic/Strip
Best one-off story

Yer Slippo

PS - anyone have an idea how many awards we want......

Trout

I suspect doing this as a series of on-line polls would become too cumbersome.

How about if we just draw up a list of categories and e-mail a questionnaire to everyone to fill in. Isn't there a service to e-mail everyone who's a boarder?

A nominated coordinator could then tally them all up, removing the need for a lengthy nominations process or the technical problems with typos we always get for open-ended polls.

I also think that if we're expanding it past 2000AD, we should include best film, best TV show and one or two board-only awards.

How about: most helpful boarder, weirdest boarder and a special prize for the person who makes a fool of himself most at Shedcon?

That's one award sewn up, then.

- P*sshead Trout

Jared Katooie

Two surely?

I bow to the master. Or mars bar as the case may be.

Jarhead.

Wake

If polls are too cumbersome, do it on a message thread, either asking for voes to be posted on the thread or, to prevent one voter influencing another, votes to be emailed to the person who starts the thread (using the site's sendmail system).

Wake

Oddboy

Yet again Wake is the voice of reason.
And yet again Wake's changed the reply buttons..? Wha- th?
Better set your phaser to stun.