Main Menu

2012 Advent Calendar COMMENTS thread.

Started by Pete Wells, 01 December, 2012, 12:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Hah! Shaolin monkeys kids have put us all to shame! I look forward to Alski's entries every year and this year he didn't disappoint. I laughed my head off at Little drummer Dredd. Brilliant!

WhitBloke

PARENTAL WARNING!
TONE LOWERED BY WHITBLOKE SHOCKER!  2000AD Fan Forum Advent Calendar stained by presence of filthy cusswords, claims Mary Whitehouse Block spokesperson. 
"Oh, snut," cringed filthmonger WhitBloke when confronted by an angry mob of parental types demanding who will think of the children.  "What have I done?!?"
Full story inside!

Basically, my contribution tomorrow contains some instances of language wholly unsuitable for young children.  Those of you sharing the daily fun of this wonderful Advent Calendar with your juves, please be advised that skipping past to get Megabus' next gripping instalment of MGM shall probably be for the best.
While the pictures themselves were drawn with no intentionally 'mature' element to them the dialogue in places shall rather insist that the eyes of your collective spawn kiddiwinkles of reading age be kept from it.  This said, I doubt the nature of my forthcoming contribution contains anything members of this forum themselves will find offensive.  (Daft, yes, but not offensive.)
Please check my contribution for its suitability (and need for some on-scene editing of dialogue by yourself) prior to reading to any children who don't yet read themselves.

I shall also be posting a similar warning on the thread itself prior to posting my contribution.  I post it here to be doubly assured that all such parents here are suitably warned prior to what could have been a rather upsetting incident.  Not as embarrassing as when they found your Razzles or that old videotape of Durham Red Does Dallas but needlessly upsetting all the same!

PARENTAL WARNING!
So this is der place then, Johnny?

WhitBloke

Double-Post but it's got to be said...

Alski the Dark King of Croon - Convoooooy!!!  [spoiler]A thousand screaming lugs![/spoiler]  Perfect cover, Alski!  And Drummer Boy Dredd...  Scrotnig stuff.  Packed with dark crooning chuckles, but the rhyme with the [spoiler]Wally Squad[/spoiler] really got me.  Going to go and enjoy it again right now.  :D

LARF

Just catching back up with all the advent fun and it looks like Santa is being judged all over the calendar. Brilliant pics by Shaolin's juves there, nice to see the little ones enjoying tooth as much as everyone else though I'm a tad perplexed as to WhitBloke's promised shenanigans tomorrow  :-\

Lovely story by the Troutmeister, you should do more Mike!

and Megabus continues to be a consistent treat, with lots of additional little gems dropping in all over the place - Redbaz's Anderson is great!

WhitBloke

Quote from: LARF on 16 December, 2012, 11:46:59 AM
I'm a tad perplexed as to WhitBloke's promised shenanigans tomorrow  :-\

Oh, nuts.  I feel I have perhaps perplexed you unduly, Larf (and others, I've no doubt) with my warning above.  To be plain, the strip is by no means peppered with expletives of a sexual nature.  There are no f-words or c-words present at all, in case that is now a concern.
It's really more a case of things like "Terran bitch" and "You're damn right!" and things like that in almost all cases I was concerned about in the dialogue.  It's certainly not Derek & Clive stuff but, even this being said and true, I would be remiss had I not now and did not later make some sort of 'Read First Being Showing To Your Kids' mention. 
With the above post, I have opted to err on the side of what could be said to be 'deliberate overstatement' just to be sure.  I just wanted to be sure that nobody automatically allowed their kids to read it without checking it because it does to some extent have a more adult tone than other contributions - though not of a level which exceeds that which the Prog itself regularly features.

von Boom

Great stuff all around again. shaolin is raising his children right. They will have a bright future slaving in the mines of Tharg's offices.

David Frankum

Well, I'm absolutely speechless. Just caught up on the latest posts... Wow! I think it would be unfair of me to single anyone out as all of the entries are jaw dropping brilliant. Honestly, I'm blown away. The best calender yet. Well done to all  :D

I've produced a doodle for the calender, if any one is willing to share a date, that would be great. If not, I'm happy to wait until the 24th.

Well done again. Simply superb!

David Broughton

Listened to your festive songs and loved them both, thanks Alski.  I love the look of your comic strip Whitbloke.  Got to get some sleep now so I'll read it tomorrow.

WhitBloke

That's very kind of you, Megabus.  Just enjoyed your latest - struck by the plot-point of machinery being fallible.  Nice touch in a genre that too often forgets this.
Thanks very much for playing along with the strip-split retro-thing and sorry if I made you panic.  Panicked a bit myself when the computer went a touch blinky on me!

CrazyFoxMachine

Bloody hell this keeps getting out from under me, really wonderful entries - I love the creative christmas outpouring on the forum!

Blimey Whitbloke, how many pages?!

Also - Broughton, I'd totally buy that. Totally. Print a limited run, I'd buy one!

TordelBack

Three in a row dealing with haulage there, seguetastic!

So hang on, let's get this straight: we're actually getting a proper 2000AD Annual this year, complete with one of those floppy flexidisk 45s?  Because it certainly seems like just it, a proper long colour Dredd annual story, seasonal crossover strips, text pieces, posters... all that's missing is reams of reprint.  If you put this little lot under hard covers it'd easily top some years' professional efforts - and a full week to go! 

WhitBloke's Gray Area strip was extraordinarily clever, and brilliantly drawn - I confess to a significant moistness of the eye seeing Ace & Co and the Moonrunners again in such a perfect homage to the Great Man. I bet Abnett'll be kicking himself that he missed out on pitching that one.  I also can't believe I never made the link between Torquemada's helmet and Ace Garp's head before, absolute genius

Alski's folk-rock-pop-punk-balladeering made me howl with laughter as always, and I'll be humming along merrily as I do a Crimbo shopping run this morning. 

Also, Shaolin, having seen your yungwans' entry I was berating my indolent kids for their lack of artistic ambition, and in response was treated to a lovely Spitfire/ME109 dogfight by my eldest that restored my faith in today's youth - many thanks for the inspiration!

Dash Decent

WhitBloke, that was bananas!  Loved all the crossovers but particularly the cameo from yourself, the "wretch on a sketch".  Looney and brilliant!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

von Boom

Huzzah to you Whitbloke. I love Gray Area and that was a great strip. That was a lot of work and it shows. And another great page from megabus. I'm only sorry that this thread will end eventually.

TordelBack

"...Judge Dredd fired, par-rumpapparumpapaprum-pum..."

Firmly stuck in my head now, you git!

LARF

WhitBloke you're the Ferrero Rocher of strips... Monsieur you spoil us with your hilarious, detailed and fan-friendly stories!

Plus bonus Judge Death from Simon™ tres bean, thank grud I've been gud!