Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

I was surprised by the mentions of "Kenny Who" without its inclusion in this volume. Has it been saved for a later book?

Davgardo

They way the intro is worded I got the impression that the Kenny Who stuff won't be appearing - which is scandalous given what's on offer in this volume.

Trent

When I took issue with Calhab in an earlier exchange Grennie stood up for it saying it was sctually decent and not to be thrown in with some of the other Judges of the World stories. Needless to say, I still strongly disagree and consider it substandard tosh.
We had better get an extension if we are missing Kenny Who and likely Otto Sump (from the official Friendface page). Calhab Justice but no Citizen Sump, not such a Mega Collection.

IndigoPrime

Lack of Kenny Who? would be strange. It's a great tale. As for this month's selection, I'm not entirely looking forward to trudging through the dreck that is Calhab Justice (although it's at least a mite better than the dire stuff shoved into that Heavy Mob volume), but the Death stuff's at least OK. I finished the moon volume last night, and that was at least pretty good. Weirdly ordered, but good. (I really would have preferred it to be in chronological order of strips.)

GordonR

Quote from: Trent on 11 October, 2016, 03:06:15 PM
When I took issue with Calhab in an earlier exchange Grennie stood up for it saying it was sctually decent and not to be thrown in with some of the other Judges of the World stories. Needless to say, I still strongly disagree and consider it substandard tosh.
We had better get an extension if we are missing Kenny Who and likely Otto Sump (from the official Friendface page). Calhab Justice but no Citizen Sump, not such a Mega Collection.

Did I, fuck!  I've akways thought it was terrible!  It starts off as lightweight comedy fluff - fart gags and Judges in kilts - and then later makes this horribly bisbegotten lurch into suddenly wanting to be something more serious and mature....while still being about Judges in kilts.

Davgardo

It does seem an odd editorial decision to go with a virtually full volume of Calhab Justice. The first Ridgeway strip plus various connected Dredd stories would surely have been better.

Skullmo

What's the news on the subscriber prints? I've only ever seen 2 of them. How many have been released?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Trent

Bit aggressive.
Apologies for misremembering, I found the exchange and it was Armitage you gave the thumbs up to, another series I never found appealing but I can understand why it has its fans.
Thought anyone backing Calhab was a little odd.

dweezil2

Quote from: Skullmo on 11 October, 2016, 06:25:02 PM
What's the news on the subscriber prints? I've only ever seen 2 of them. How many have been released?

I've had 3, Colin Macneil, Carl Critchlow and Henry Flint-give 'em a buzz!

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

robert_ellis

I love John Ridgway - hellblazer & summer magic are 2 of my favourite ever comics. Calhab is dreadful - the Judge Designs are weak and there's no real feel of location. Ridgway's shading and facial expressions are great but I'd rather read Junker. I'm amazed this got reprinted - at least there's fun to be had in the few Garth Ennis written pages at the back

abelardsnazz

The Facebook page has announced issue 49, Into the Undercity, volume number unknown. Credited: Si Spencer, Pat Mills, Michael Carroll, Alan Grant, John Wagner, Vince Locke, Paul Davidson, Tiernan Trevallion, and John Burns.

So - speculation as to stories included? I have a horrible feeling this will include Creep, a story which I remember not enjoying at all at the time of original publication. Hmmm.

IndigoPrime

Oh, good grief. Creep's already been confirmed way back, so that garbage will be in there. I get the aim of giving a wider chunk of Dredd a crack, and I can see the justification for throwaway rubbish like Inferno, but Creep? Bah.

TordelBack

Pat Mills, Vince Locke and the Undercutting can only mean 'Birthday Boy', a story of which the best thing I can say is that I love both the sinners but HATE the sin.

Fungus

Garbage, you say?! Sometimes the disdain for unread tales - like Creep - almost makes me want to extend cherry-picking to the worst of strips, out of curiosity. But only almost  :)

Trent

Love the idea of an Undercity volume but curious as to the contents.
Si Spencer certainly implies Creep even if Kevin Cullen isn't mentioned. I actually quite enjoyed it for trying something different with the horror vibe even if not entirely successfully.
Trevallion must mean Ratfink's Revenge which seems very odd if not in the same book as the original Wagner/Doherty Ratfink. As long as that is included somewhere so I can dump the floppy.
Davidson is presumably New Tricks assuming that was the Joyce etc in the undercity story and therein lies the recurring problem with the concept of the volume. There have been few undercity stories (far too few) and several link into other stories or arcs which make them feel strange in isolation.
Will see how it reads I guess but I worry stories may have been bundled better.