Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

I liked The Creep.

I've got a lot of time for Kevin Cullen's pulpy art. An underrated artist in my opinion. Would've liked to have seen more from him.

GordonR

Yeah, I liked Kevin Cullen's work too.  He seems to have completely disappeared out of comics, which is a shame.

robert_ellis

I loved Kevin Cullen's hershey strip - he's like a pulpy David Lloyd -all  confident shadows and atmosphere. I really hope that story gets reprinted in this collection

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 12 October, 2016, 09:55:24 PM
I liked The Creep.

I've got a lot of time for Kevin Cullen's pulpy art. An underrated artist in my opinion. Would've liked to have seen more from him.

Yeah another voice to this call. Really liked his work and a shame we didn't see more of it. Story wasn't too bad either.

Rately

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 12 October, 2016, 09:55:24 PM
I liked The Creep.

I remember his art really stood out among a lot of art at the time because it was so radically different.

Loved his stuff, and, as already said, wouldn't mind seeing future work from him in the Prog and Meg.

TordelBack

Very impressed with the Young Death volume, very frank introduction and essay, good selection of covers, and three very different very strong stories.  I don't think I've read Young Death since it first ran, and was surprised at how much better it was than my memory: for a start we never do find out Sidney's second name (De'Ath is an alias he adopts, 'Judge Death' a nickname he embraces), so I've been unwittingly repeating a calumny for years.  Fraser's work on the other two stories is every bit as good as I remember, however - get that man back in harness soon Tharg!

And I didn't mind The Creep either, original visuals and quite far from the nadir of Meg stories.

Dandontdare

Frank

I'm pretty sure Cullen has gone to ink Massimo. One of the original art crowd mentioned his passing after buying a page from his son - maybe Spikes, Skullmo, Ming or Greg M can confirm.

Creep wasn't for me, but it's definitely in the latest Hachette volume; Spencer mentions contributing to the extras on the latest Thrillcast.

Greg M.

Quote from: Frank on 13 October, 2016, 05:15:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Cullen has gone to ink Massimo. One of the original art crowd mentioned his passing after buying a page from his son - maybe Spikes, Skullmo, Ming or Greg M can confirm.

There's a thread about Cullen here - there was speculation Cullen might have passed on, but Link Prime's last post in the thread seems to suggest otherwise:  http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=8662

Frank

Cheers, Greg. Let's hope Cullen's just rendering Lara Croft's eyebrows or designing Daisy Ridley's Jedi gear, like everyone else Tharg hired in the nineties.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 October, 2016, 11:24:44 AM
Very impressed with the Young Death volume, very frank introduction and essay, good selection of covers, and three very different very strong stories. 

Stevie is quite looking forward to this, especially as Volume 33: Judge Death Lives hit the newsagents Down Under this week & ummm... filled this particular squaxx with inertia as soon as the book was liberated from its plastic cover.

Young Death on the other hand is the business; Wagner's script is grand guignol genius & Doherty well & truly hits the ground running at such a clap that it one would be excused for disbelieving that it is only his second professionally published work. The two Frazer Irving  Death strips aren't too shabby either.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Trent

Ok, getting miffed now. Postie's been and still no books. That's nearly a week after most have received theirs.
Pointless and frustrating phone call on Monday beckons.

abelardsnazz

Young Death is a great addition to the collection with hugely atmospheric stories and art, and the balance of humour and horror is bang on.

JaHawkDroid

Picked up about 40 volumes of the Mega Collection from my LCS for ~£150 and been reading through them in order from 1. Read 1-7, and The Simping Detective. Is there any better order to read them in for someone new to Dredd, or should I keep pressing on in order (excluding the ones that haven't released, obviously).
Cheers

abelardsnazz

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 18 October, 2016, 09:51:18 PM
Picked up about 40 volumes of the Mega Collection from my LCS for ~£150 and been reading through them in order from 1. Read 1-7, and The Simping Detective. Is there any better order to read them in for someone new to Dredd, or should I keep pressing on in order (excluding the ones that haven't released, obviously).
Cheers

First of all, welcome JaHawkDroid, hope you enjoy the world of Dredd.

What an interesting question. As the collection is arranged thematically, so far you'll have read all the Democracy and Dark Judges stories in the collection from various points in Dredd's history. Although these aren't in publication order, hopefully it won't diminish your enjoyment of them - I would say, for example, if it wasn't a problem to read Necropolis first then go back and read the first Judge Death story to fill in some of the gaps, then continue reading the volumes in order. It will give you an insight into how the various characters and story threads have developed through Dredd's history. With nearly 40 years' worth of material, there are some duds, but there's always another gem just around the corner. So my advice would be to keep going as you are. Be interested to read your thoughts as you go on.

Happy reading!