Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 January, 2017, 07:29:14 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 07 January, 2017, 06:39:24 PMpartworks never represent good value).
Ten quid for 250-page hardbacks seems pretty good value to me.

This is true and they are fairly priced at £9.99 each. However seeing as they return less than 50% of their cost price on eBay they can't be seen as a good investment. Not that that ever stopped us before!

Steve Green

Tjm86

It strikes me that comics as an 'investment' is pretty much done now, particularly with digital sales.  There have always been ebbs and flows in terms of values (remember New Mutants 86 ish at £20 odd back in the day? What about Ultimate Spiderman that spent a period at the £100 mark. Now worth peanuts).  How many complete tooth collections are there out there?  It's going to be long while before they start to be worth real money, never mind the investment cost.  How many of us have used the old 'it's worth ££££' to justify what we've spent?

To say that part works don't really represent good value is probably fairly accurate in these terms, particularly for such a niche collection anyway.  That said, if everyone ditches their subscriptions how likely is it to be completed?

Buttonman

Quote from: Tjm86 on 08 January, 2017, 07:41:18 AM
  That said, if everyone ditches their subscriptions how likely is it to be completed?

That's a fair call but I don't think whether the project succeeds or fails should come down to the goodwill or potential guilt of the buyer - the producer needs to keep it's audience happy and not pull fast ones like sell off its stock at half price, mid run.

Tjm86

Aye, bit of an own goal there.  Or perhaps as Moly suggests, a mistake on their part?  Then again if the Dr Who set was included and that hasn't been running as long then not so sure.

IndigoPrime

Contrary replies anyway, since I was told it was a temporary sale and there was no indication the Dredd volumes were erroneously included.

As for investments, I'm struggling to think of any comic or trade I sold more more than I paid for it.

levers

If it's any consolation, Mega Collection sale appears to definitely be over now!

Would've been a bit much for Banzai Battalion to show up for a fiver!

abelardsnazz

For me, the MC represents great value as it got me back into Tooth after many grexnix years and I'm catching up on a load of stuff I missed. Plus they look great on the shelf.

Banzai Battalion is a case in point - I had read Beyond the Wall and its sequel before, but none of the other stories, so had great fun doing so. All the BB art is great in capturing the humour and scale of the robots, I think Ian Gibson just edges it for me.

Down on Sausage Tree Farm initially seemed a bit throwaway, but is this story the start of Dredd's empathising with mutants leading to Origins, Tour of Duty etc?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: levers on 08 January, 2017, 11:31:03 AMIf it's any consolation, Mega Collection sale appears to definitely be over now!
Yep. Even in the basket, the books are now back to full-price.

What's really insane is how they've put future issues in the sale. So you can buy March 29's Ms Marvel collection for five quid, two months before it'll be on sale for a tenner. Bonkers. (They should have restricted the sale to the first X% (whatever X might have been) of any given run.

Still, whatevs. I'm still happy with the Dredd books, grabbed seven Marvel ones I fancied reading (for £35), and for two quid got to see that I won't be spending hundreds on the TF run. Not too awful.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: levers on 08 January, 2017, 11:31:03 AM

Ahaha - I actually put off doing an order for a day because I was waiting for Banzai's release. As soon as the book was added to the site it went into the basket with the rest - bingo, five quid!
@jamesfeistdraws

Buttonman

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 January, 2017, 06:12:54 PM
Quote from: levers on 08 January, 2017, 11:31:03 AM

Ahaha - I actually put off doing an order for a day because I was waiting for Banzai's release. As soon as the book was added to the site it went into the basket with the rest - bingo, five quid!

I've just put my foot through my laptop - and I'm sending Hachette the bill!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 January, 2017, 06:12:54 PMAhaha - I actually put off doing an order for a day because I was waiting for Banzai's release. As soon as the book was added to the site it went into the basket with the rest - bingo, five quid!
Again, that's daft, but less daft than the Marvel run (where you may as well have canned your sub, bought the next six months' worth of issues, and then restarted it, thereby saving yourself 30 quid).

Trent

Books turned up today in perfect condition along with the prog.
A quick word for our postie who , aware of my current infirmities, caught my eye through the window and then came in and left my post on the armrest of my chair.
Service above and beyond!
As to the books themselves, one of my favourite deliveries. Sure, HMD is questionable in many, many ways but as someone largely confined to bed at the moment both books are perfect 'dippers' filled with Mega City lunacy akin to the Daily Star books (which reside in the loo). Tons of short, sharp tales with some awesome art - Cam Kennedy can do no wrong.
Very happy with my reading material for the next few days.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 January, 2017, 08:45:27 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 January, 2017, 06:12:54 PM

I've just put my foot through my laptop - and I'm sending Hachette the bill!

Absolutely did not mean to gloat, BM - just really pleased for myself, as someone who couldn't really justify the cost of the Mega collection (reasonable as it is). The sale felt like a really generous xmas present! I've little doubt I would have been fairly miffed by it, as a subscriber.
@jamesfeistdraws

Buttonman

bang on! Good luck to you Jimbo no worries here - just flexing my inner Viz letter writer.