Main Menu

Medivac 318

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 January, 2009, 01:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well my slow but steady reread of the highlights of my 2000ad collection has reached the 600s. A great period which has much to look forward and it would seem some forgotten gems.

I always remember liking Zippy Couriers and its turning out to be a nice fun bit of comics. So I thought I'd re-read Hilary Robinsons Medivac 318 as well, it had pretty pictures after all. Wow I'd forgotten how great the first 'book' of this was. The second 'book' was ok BUT the first was a quiet piece of gold. Fantastic characters and the 2 parts where the nurse is waiting to be picked up from the planet war zone are so atmospheric.

Here's hoping when I get to the third book its more like the first than the second (not that the seconds that bad just not up to the fantastic quality of the first)

Bouwel

Hmm. I would say that I disliked Zippy Couriers however I will re-visit them at some stage to see if my opinion has changed over the years since the first reading.
Medivac 318. I honestly have no memories of this beyond an 'ambulance' coming into land with a 'danger below!' sort of warning. Is that the same series?
I think this may have been from the time in my life when I was getting a bit 'meh' to 2000AD.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Bouwel"I honestly have no memories of this beyond an 'ambulance' coming into land with a 'danger below!' sort of warning.

That's the fella. Well worth digging out. For me this period is still 2000ad at its best but also stretching its wings a little as the next generation of cool writers has settled in and is finding its feet and confidence.

I can definately see why Zippy Couriers was an acquired taste and while I enjoy it not sure its a 2000ad story. Mind that's why I like a lot of Hilary Robinson's stuff she gave 2000ad a different and at the time new voice. Shame much of her stuff (not the two mentioned but other stuff she did) was so blighted by if not bad art then unsuitable art.

Bolt-01

Ah, Medivac 318. I liked this, if mainly for the art by Nigel Dobbyn. I 'may' be wrong here, but Hilary has regained the rights to these characters and has used them since in other publications. Not seen them myself, but they are on the list of 'to be tracked down'

Proudhuff

So no chance of a Medivac 318 Trade Floppy ibagged with the Meg then?
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Proudhuff"So no chance of a Medivac 318 Trade Floppy ibagged with the Meg then?
Given that Rebellion don't own the rights to the series anymore, I suspect it's unlikely. Kind of a pity, really—I wasn't particularly enamoured by much of Robinson's stuff, but I really liked Medivac (and it was substantially better than the duff Mercy Heights, both in script and art), and I'd have liked to have seen more.

Wake

Are you sure Hilary Robinson owns the right sto Medivac 318. I know that this Irish Comics Wiki says she managed to retain her copyright for it along with Zippy Couriers and Chronos Carnival, but I had only previously heard that she help the copyright for Zippy Couriers.

[Edit: Okay -- I've also just found it here in David Bishop's blog, which is good enough for me.]

IndigoPrime

QuoteThe only debate we had was over the title. I wanted to call it Medivac Station and Richard didn't seem to like that. I renamed it Medivac 318 after my extension number at the hospital where I worked. Richard said I couldn't have a number in the title. I asked him what the comic was called.
Great quote, there!

Bouwel

Well, I tried to read these series again last night and...no. They just don't work for me I'm afraid.

-Bouwel-
(Who also thought Button Man was pedestrian and oddly placed in 2000AD so go figure!)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Tweak72

I liked Medivac 318 but it suffered from to many really long gaps. but that may have been my parents stopping my comic access for some misdeed or other. but any way I wish this had gone on more. I loved Zippy Couriers and miss it greatly. Chronos Carnival? Ewwwwww!
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Mikey

I don't remember a thing about Zippy Couriers apart from the name.

I really enjoyed Medivac 318 and thought it had great potential beyond what was published, so it's interesting to find out she's used the characters elsewhere.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Mikey"http://www.goatking.co.uk/myshop/prod_240376-MEDIVAC-318-TSHIRT.html

I wonder what Robinson thinks of that?
Dunno, but thanks for the link - I may get one of those strontium dog shirts!
Quote from: "Mikey"I don't remember a thing about Zippy Couriers apart from the name.
Ditto.

Was Medivac 318 the one with the Rogue-trooper ambulance pilot, or were there two "E.R. in space" stories in the prog? I've been racking my brains trying to think of the title of the other.

Chronos Carnival - *shudder* - the mighty Ron Smith's darkest hour!

Wake

Quote from: "dandontdare"Was Medivac 318 the one with the Rogue-trooper ambulance pilot, or were there two "E.R. in space" stories in the prog? I've been racking my brains trying to think of the title of the other.

That was Mercy Heights featuring Tor Cyan.

Dandontdare

That's the one! Of course, they've both merged into one in my memory....!