Main Menu

Prog 1851 The Red Road

Started by Tjm86, 21 September, 2013, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

After last week's rather disappointing jump on, this week's takes a tick up for my money.  Good strong cover from Goddard and Caldwell.  Dredd ticking over nicely but with Carrol's usual propensity for using Dredd as a back up character rather than lead.  Art work suits it and for my money it is showing promise. 

Brass Sun is heavy on the action this week with a nice if not entirely unpredictable twist.  Flesh, considering that it is always one of my least favourite tooth strips makes for a not entirely unpleasant read so that is something. 

Goddard taking over lead art duties on Aquila makes for a nice transition.  Couple of chuckles at the anti Christian rant.  Trying to work out if Rennie is being historically accurate or deliberately provocative.  The irony being that if the intent was the latter he may well discover that it is actually the former.  Nice little set up and recap of previous events.  Why didn't they use this last week?  Would have made for a much stronger jump on. 

Damnation Station is a minor improvement on last week but Harrison's artwork does not seem to maintain consistency.  The computer generated backgrounds occasionally clash against the cartoony style of the line art.

So overall a bit of a surprise that the post jump on prof shows tooth's potential far more.  I know this topic has been heavily  covered elsewhere so will leave it at that.

hippynumber1

A fair summary there - I enjoyed the jump on prog but this steps up a gear.

Dredd is progressing nicely and I thoroughly enjoyed the diner sequence

Brass Sun is just wonderful

I defy anyone not to enjoy the 'splash' page in Flesh and the story does at least move this week.

This is only the second time I've read Aquila (the first being the one-off in prog 2013(?)) and it made perfect sense and was very easy to follow - unlike DS last week.

Which brings me to Damnation Station which is a lot easier to follow (to me anyway) than last week's introduction.

Overall, I thought this was a strong prog.

Darren Stephens

Yeh, enjoyed it a lot. Cracking cover!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

JamesC

I have to say, this was a massive improvement over last week.

The Cover is lovely - I'm a big fan of Goddard and the colouring job is great too. Really pleased to see Aquila back.

Dredd was fun and fast moving. I really like both Joyce and Pax and I like the way the story is told through Pax's journal. The artwork is lovely but the Lawmasters still seem a little small.

Brass Sun. While this strip still isn't really my cup of tea it always looks stunning and I prefer these more action packed installments.

Flesh was another bit of light hearted fun. I can't help think on that the artwork is absolutely crying out for some colour though (Not that I dislike B&W art but this just looks like it needs something to lift it).

Aquila is probably my favourite thing in the prog and one of the best new thrills of the last few years. The art is wonderful - they should get this art team on the Assassins Creed comics.

Damnation Station is miles better than it was last week. Despite not remembering much from the last story I think this actually serves as a better re-introduction than last week. Again, the strip looks great, Harrison's work has an instant wow factor (similar to Langley or Bisley in that regard).

I was really feeling down about this run of strips after reading last week's prog but this is such a vast improvement. If it carries on like this for the next few weeks I'll be a happy customer.

Colin YNWA

Pretty much with the consensus on this so far limited thread. Last week was all about potential and this week is all about that potential slowly bubbling up.

Damnation Station is moving in the right direction, but still has some way to go.

Flesh is bursting with potential and is popping along pleasantly, with the hints of more still to come.

Dredd moves things up a notch while still keeping the nice character stuff. This one is building well.

Aquila makes a great start and I'm loving the switch in artist.

Brass Sun was always there, from its first episode to the latest. The best thing is for all the glory of this thrill to date this high octane episode shows a brilliant series not resting on its laurels. If this keeps up this sort of upward trajectory we'll be talking not just about one of the best new thrills of recent times but one of the comics best ever thrills. 

Proudhuff

Cover okay but somehow lacking, i felt the veiled figure could have been darker more threatening, not sure the Red Road text, why?, or am I missing something?

Thrill centre; Dark Justice promo and Damage Rant-port fair comment about TWD TV series.

Dredd New Tricks: enjoying this, and the slighty unusual layouts, love the comment about [spoiler]Joyce's [/spoiler] pass mark and the fact that Dredd recognised the [spoiler]Manta[/spoiler] by it's sound. But new tricks? shouldn't this be a bunch of retired Judges and a MILF? and a theme song by Dennis Waterman?

Brass Sun: Highly enjoyable

Flesh: a close up of his [spoiler]Doctor K's [/spoiler] would have been nice  :D

Aquila: coming along nicely

Damn Station: working a treat

overall 'steady as she goes' kinda prog, which might explian the lack of comment here...

DDT did a job on me

IronGraham

I still haven't got my copy in the mail :| hope i get it soon or may go into thrill withdrawal
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Mike Carroll

Quote from: IronGraham on 24 September, 2013, 12:47:39 PM
I still haven't got my copy in the mail :| hope i get it soon or may go into thrill withdrawal

I also have no copies! They usually arrive on Mondays...  :'(

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 24 September, 2013, 01:54:38 PM

You'll like the Dredd

:D
DDT did a job on me

moly

2nd week now and not delivered on sat got last week on Wednesday so fingers crossed for tomorrow

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Hawkmumbler

It's all Pat's fault. Equality between the creator and audience, you know.

Colin YNWA

isn't it great that some one livin' the dream and writing the Prog is still put out when it turns up late. Goodon ya Mike.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 September, 2013, 08:37:26 PM

isn't it great that some one livin' the dream and writing the Prog is still put out when it turns up late. Goodon ya Mike.

That's 'cos I'm still a fan! I want to know what's happening in the latest episodes of the other tales! Plus the first part of a new Aquila... How could I not be excited about that!?

-- Mike

Trout

Loved Aquila and Dredd this week. Enjoyed Brass Sun and Damnation Station. Flesh isn't for me, I fear. The dialogue spoils it for me.

But four out of five is a good hit rate. I love my prog!

- Trout