Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

If you don't like Star Trek IV you have no joy in your heart.

Dandontdare

agreed - it's not exactly profound, but it's a lot of fun, and there are some great lines: "So you're from outer space?" "No, I'm from Iowa. I just work in outer space"

NapalmKev

Quote from: pictsy on 22 October, 2013, 04:07:52 PM
Star Trek IV : The Voyage Home What a stupid story.  It was like Star Trek for tots.  Still, the story was relatively coherent and it wasn't as bad as when Voyager [spoiler]went back in time to 1990's Earth[/spoiler].  Remember that?  That was awful - I can't stand Sarah Silverman.  I was wondering why I was getting annoyed by Vanellope in Wreck-It Ralph everytime she opened her mouth and when I saw the credits it all became clear.  Anyway, back to Star Trek IV.  I did like that it continued on from the previous film again and I thought the change in tone was a pretty good idea as well, going for something more light-hearted.  It was just that [spoiler]time-travelling whale nonsense[/spoiler].  I am becoming more curious about the original series.  I have never watched all the episodes before (probably just seeing one or two now and then).

I liked the fact the Probe was actually trying to communicate with the whales.
Star Trek is great but a broader scope of aliens and a bit less 'human morality' would certainly make it better, IMO.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Professor Bear

Star Trek 4 was the basic template for the Trek reboot: laugh at old Trek while unashamedly clutching its trouser leg and begging for money, but also started the trend in the films towards being more light-hearted and accessible, which was for the best, I think.

Quote from: pictsy on 22 October, 2013, 04:07:52 PMI am becoming more curious about the original series.  I have never watched all the episodes before (probably just seeing one or two now and then).

Doomsday Machine, Galileo Seven, Balance of Terror, City on the Edge of Forever and Devil in the Dark are definitive Trek episodes, the rest being a mixed bag varying in quality on a downward trajectory the longer it goes on, though some episodes in season 3 are arguably memorably and mesmerisingly terrible to the point they're worth a watch.  For me, though, Arena remains my all-time favorite Trek episode ever, embodying the American imperialist subtext of the show while simultaneously subverting it with a humanist appeal against the cold war sensibilities of the time in which it was made.  I love it so much that even a glimpse of "updated" Gorn designs usually prompts in me a towering fury.  It is utterly ace.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I have never watched all the episodes before (probably just seeing one or two now and then).

If you thought the time travelling and whale stuff was stupid nonsense, then there's a lot of stuff you'll hate about the original series.

BECAUSE YOU'RE DEAD INSIDE
You may quote me on that.

pictsy

Star Trek V : The Final Frontier  Meh.  Very average film.  There wasn't anything especially terrible about it but there was nothing that really stood out.  The story telling was competent.  I think it started well and then just levelled off at... well... meh.  I'm finding it difficult to praise or pick holes in anything specific about it.

Actually I'm undead inside.

Frank

The Star Trek film with the transparent aluminium paradox, Scotty's mouse gag, and Kirk's line about being from Iowa is the only one I've watched more than once and as an adult. I agree - there's something very, very wrong with you, pictsy. You must be the last of your kind; rid humanity of the terrible curse which afflicts you before others suffer and die.

Mabs

Star Trek IV : The Voyage Home What a stupid story.  It was like Star Trek for tots.  Still, the story was relatively coherent and it wasn't as bad as when Voyager [spoiler]went back in time to 1990's Earth[/spoiler].  Remember that?  That was awful - I can't stand Sarah Silverman.  I was wondering why I was getting annoyed by Vanellope in Wreck-It Ralph everytime she opened her mouth and when I saw the credits it all became clear.  Anyway, back to Star Trek IV.  I did like that it continued on from the previous film again and I thought the change in tone was a pretty good idea as well, going for something more light-hearted.  It was just that [spoiler]time-travelling whale nonsense[/spoiler].  I am becoming more curious about the original series.  I have never watched all the episodes before (probably just seeing one or two now and then).

It's probably silly now, but as a kid I remember having a whale of a time!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin Zeal

I really disliked Star trek IV so it's not just Pictsy. I think I've mentioned on here before that my dislike of it came from it seemingly being on ITV every week at some point during my formative years. I always seemed to end up watching it which made me hate it more.

For a good romcom I'd watch The Sure Thing and Say Anything. John Cusack at his best and the Sure Thing is very funny too.

Daveycandlish

Would Grosse Point Blank count on the rom-com scale? John Cusack as a hitman going back to his hometown for a school reunion, reuniting with Minnie Driver (I know I would) and leaving bodies everywhere by the end. Great film.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

pictsy

What's with all the hostility?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Allow me to welcome you to the internet. You'll find that people here get quite hostile and defensive, particularly when it comes to Star Trek. Who can say why? It's just been like this since the days of free AOL discs.
You may quote me on that.

Frank

Quote from: pictsy on 22 October, 2013, 05:29:26 PM

Some comments - such as those paraphrasing the entreaties to suicide in Lon Chaney Jr Wolfman films and An American Werewolf in London - may not have been entirely serious. I'll be sure to use emoticons in future.

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 22 October, 2013, 12:16:24 PM
I've also heard good things about the Before Sunrise/Sunset - though I'm not sure if you could term those as romcoms.
I absolutely love these films, as I describe at length here. They are definitely romantic and comic in places but I'm not sure they fit the "romcom" bracket. Unless, maybe, you consider them as a single film.

You should watch them anyway.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Quote from: pictsy on 22 October, 2013, 05:29:26 PM

Just be thankful you didn't slag Walking Dead.