psp anyone got one yet

Started by janus stark, 06 September, 2005, 03:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janus stark

well its been a couple of days now
do i wait till next year when its fifty quid cheaper
and there are more games???

Something Fishy

i am going to wait. i think the entry price is far too high really.

The Amstor Computer

Nope, not buying one. A friend at work bought it when the US version came out and I've had the chance to use it and actually get a hands-on with it.

Too expensive, not enough interesting games now or in the near future - and the few that do interest me are available in similar versions on the PS2 - and the UMD movie playback doesn't appeal at all (I'm not going to buy the same films I own just to watch a few minutes here & there on a tiny screen on the way to work, and I'm not going to be bothering to encode them for use, either).  

It's quite telling that my mate's PSP has been used pretty much exclusively for emulation - and if I want to play decade-old SNES games, I've got the original machine in my cupboard, an emulator on my PC and a GBA with ports of those titles already!

Nope, I'm going to be picking up a DS - games like Electroplankton, Advance Wars: DS, Pac Pix, Nintendogs and Metroid Prime: Hunters are must-haves, and there are plenty of other interesting, innovative titles coming out regularly enough to keep me happy. It's also sturdier, seems to be less power-hungry and is still cart-based - a must for portable gaming, IMO.

WoD

Imported one a while back, James has one too.  Very nice piece of kit, but don't rush in to it.  The current high-street game price (30-35 quid) is a rip off too.

Bico

My brother bought one for the homebrew potential of playing Beneath A Steel Sky and emulators for older consoles, plus he can download anime from the web and watch it at work.
Can't say I'm impressed by Spiderman (rubbish control layout), Metal Gear Ac!d (which goes out of its way to overcomplicate what should be a straightforward icon-based control system), Ridge Racer (a shallow racer compared to the likes of Colin McCrae) or Darkstalkers (just a compilation of thre existing PS1 games).  The graphics are nice, but the control of games feels all wrong in general, not at all helped by the piddly little joystick that just doesn't cut it as a game controller, and the d-pad's strange aversion to registering the diagonal up/right direction.
Movie playback is reasonably impressive, except that I bought a portable dvd player in Argos for 50 quid, and that was multi-region and could play dvd-r and vcds.  Likewise the MP3 function is pretty useless, considering you can get an MP3 player from pound shops these days - and they have more memory than the official memory card that comes with the PSP.  How many songs will you put on a 32mb memory card?
It seems like an incredibly half-assed effort all round, and don't even get me started on the price of the games.  The average U2 album costs just as much to produce, record and promote as a videogame does, but I don't see those going for 40 quid in stores.

Quirkafleeg

I've played on one of these... It's a loverly bit of kit.

Artificial Idiot

'How many songs will you put on a 32mb memory card?'

Roughly 32 minutes!* Which isn't even half a CD in some cases...

*Findings based on MP3's being on lowest quality (personally, I can't tell the difference...) which is about 1MB a minute.

If that was rhetorical... Then I'm tired and felt like boring you all with stuff you probably already know. So gimme a break!

Steamboy

nah, happy with my DS at the mo(though it could do with some more games).  The whole thing seems almost there but not quite there yet. everyone I know with one uses it to emulate, which is a good idea but nothing that cant be done with a decent palmtop. maybe when it comes down to a decent price and comes with a decent sized memory stick I'll think of getting one.
Anyone know when Metroid Hunters is due out on the DS? and damn Zelda pushed back till next year
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

CU Steamboy

Buddy

I will be getting one of these but maybe waiting till a bit more gear is available for it. More movies, more games (unreal in particular)

For what it does (mp3player, movie player, game player, internet access, and in future a mobile phone addon thingy) I think it's reasonably priced (and I get a discount for being mates with my local Forbidden Planet manager).

So that's my sons christmas present sorted out (no really, it's for my boy, really).

Pyroxian

Waitng for it to be a bit cheaper and to have a better battery - 2-4 hours is not good.

Steve

WoD

I find the battery last longer than that playing most games using the headphones.  

Art

JTurner

The up/right glitch was reported a long time ago, it was also in the square/triangle buttons, I think it was due to the size of the screen coupled with the need to keep the console as small as possible, apparently those buttons had less of whatever it is underneath that registers a press (I'm getting too technical here, arn't I)

My big piss off with the PSP is that it actually takes interface a generation back to before the dual shock sticks - with a console that's about PS2 ports, how do they expect to do a high quality FPS without dual sticks or touch pads? The DS at least took games interface further with the stylus, and they're just right for short attention span portable games.

If the PSP is good for anything, it's if you want to play a PS2 style game when the missus or the kids are watching something else on the TV.

Lord Running Clam

"Anyone know when Metroid Hunters is due out on the DS?"

I think Metroid Hunters has been pushed back to next year.They are going to use the extra time to make it playable online.

Does anyone know if the DS is going to get a price drop soon?

The Amstor Computer

If the PSP is good for anything, it's if you want to play a PS2 style game when the missus or the kids are watching something else on the TV

...and if that's all you want, you can probably buy a new PS2 and a decent small TV for ?200!