Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 December, 2013, 08:44:56 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2013, 07:52:17 AM
Let's look a little broader than genre! A startling number of French, Czech, Italian and Scandinavian films feature full frontal from both genders. Remember, it's a cultural thing in many nations and the perspective of both British and Americans has for centuries treated nudity as a taboo.

Amélie, anyone?

Which is all missing the bloody point to a spectacular degree as usual.
The issue is not nudity in films, it is morinic, sexist remarks like "Plus you got to see a pair of tits at the end. Can't go wrong there."

If you cannot see what is wrong with that and why infantile sexist nonsense like this is off putting to female readers if and when they loo at this board, then I truely am wasting my time trying to explain it to you.
Are we still talking about that? I was under the impression we had moved onto new pastures with GC explaining why he made the comment.  :|

NapalmKev

The Lone Ranger.

I actually quite enjoyed it. Very funny in parts and despite some cheesy moments, a good watch overall.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2013, 08:48:16 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 December, 2013, 08:44:56 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2013, 07:52:17 AM
Let's look a little broader than genre! A startling number of French, Czech, Italian and Scandinavian films feature full frontal from both genders. Remember, it's a cultural thing in many nations and the perspective of both British and Americans has for centuries treated nudity as a taboo.

Amélie, anyone?

Which is all missing the bloody point to a spectacular degree as usual.
The issue is not nudity in films, it is morinic, sexist remarks like "Plus you got to see a pair of tits at the end. Can't go wrong there."

If you cannot see what is wrong with that and why infantile sexist nonsense like this is off putting to female readers if and when they loo at this board, then I truely am wasting my time trying to explain it to you.
Are we still talking about that? I was under the impression we had moved onto new pastures with GC explaining why he made the comment.  :|

Yes, let's all forget about it so we don't have to address the inherit sexism in the board.

Theblazeuk

It gets a bit much aye.

Point made.

JohnMcF

All this talk of sexism is just political correctness gone tits up.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 09 December, 2013, 11:11:39 AM
It gets a bit much aye.

Point made.

Has it? Excellent, so it'll all stop now then!

QuoteAll this talk of sexism is just political correctness gone tits up.

oh.

JamesC

Quote from: JohnMcF on 09 December, 2013, 12:43:35 PM
All this talk of sexism is just political correctness gone tits up.

Bravo!  :lol:

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Movies.

If you want to discuss sexism, that's fine, start another thread and stop stinking up this one.

MOO
VEES
You may quote me on that.

Mabs

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 December, 2013, 01:27:26 PM
Movies.

If you want to discuss sexism, that's fine, start another thread and stop stinking up this one.

MOO
VEES

I don't think that'll work MP, I suggested the same thing.....three pages back!  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Charlie boy

I managed to watch a little of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves last night while I was in work.
I remember seeing this on the pictures when I was a kid and absolutely loving it, so somebody bought me it on VHS and I'd get up early everyday for quite a while to watch as much as I could before school or whatever. Then I had a phase for a few years like most people probably do with certain films were you don't watch it and you haven't done for years but you'll confidently tell people how rubbish it is anyway. That phase came to a halt a few years back when I put it on and sat there giggling to myself in parts and pretty much cheering on Robin and his merry men. I no longer own it but I'll happily put it on at least once a year when it's on TV during another wise empty schedule. I can see faults with it- a lot I was happy to point out when saying how rubbish it was years ago- but it's simply an enjoyable hour and a half or so film. I can comfortably say I'll probably watch it when it's shown again next year and I can't say that for Ridley Scott's recent effort focusing on the outlaws in the forest.

TordelBack

Quote from: Charlie boy on 09 December, 2013, 01:49:04 PM...I was happy to point out when saying how rubbish it was years ago- but it's simply an enjoyable hour and a half or so film

Yep, it's complete and utter rubbish start to finish, from the daft geography to the ghastly soundtrack.  And it's also great fun and eminently rewatchable. 

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Alan Rickman is absolutely immense as the Sheriff of Nottingham, my second favourite performance after Hans Gruber. I think it was also the first time I saw Morgan Freeman.
You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 December, 2013, 02:05:13 PM
Alan Rickman is absolutely immense as the Sheriff of Nottingham

True, but he's no Nickolas Grace.

Recrewt

I caught Robin Hood on TV last night also.

Great film, not really sure I would call it rubbish though.  If you are going to make a Robin Hood movie then you are somewhat tied to the story you can tell.  The cast is pretty fantastic - I like Kevin in the lead, yeah he doesn't really have an English accent but that aside he is very watchable and Alan Rickman is just a joy.  I also enjoy a lot of the minor characters and the whole 'maid marian and her merry men' vibe to it.

I think this is the best Robin Hood movie out there and it will be some time before we see better.  The Ridley Scott film was far too serious and tried to make out it was real - its not, its a legend and in that respect Prince of Thieves plays it perfectly.  It is exactly like a story you would be told around a camp fire. 

Professor Bear

Who Dares Wins - shit.
I normally like right-wing power fantasies like Rambo or Invasion USA because they're basically cartoons, but this added an unhelpful misogynistic element to the text of manly men going pew pew pew at baddies that - when added to the bizarre choice of hippies as the cannon fodder - adds up to a film that both takes itself too seriously and is impossible to take seriously.  The latter point has seemingly given it a free pass in the same way that a movie about a brave copper working the Hillsborough disaster and coming up against yobs would, but that wouldn't stop such a film being shite and that's what WDW is.

Below - pretty decent WW2 submarine-based ghost story that attempts some clumsily anachronistic self-awareness in one scene that is pretty painful to watch, but which does at least set such a low bar that it effectively serves to distract from the rest of the self-awareness in the script as characters drop many red herrings as to the cause of the haunting.  It reminded me of episodes from the start of the fourth season of the Twilight Zone, as it goes through many of the tropes and twists used there, especially from Death Ship and The Thirty Fathom Grave, and while these aren't cobbled together in an entirely convincing fashion and the whole thing barely holds together as anything other than a rushed student film shot with a tv camera for some reason and including some too-far silliness near the end that veers the whole thing into "big and dumb" territory not quite supported by the budget, it's still an entertaining watch.