Main Menu

Prog 2202 - The Bite Stuff

Started by JimmyNailz, 05 October, 2020, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyNailz

Cover - Fantastic. I'd have it tattooed on me if me mutha wouldn't kill me for it.

Dredd - I'm loving the art in this and, getting over the seeming simplicity of Maitland's crime busting computer modelling, I'm loving the story and its working beautifully with Maitland's narrative overlapping the action with Dredd. Great stuff!

Stickleback - I find myself a little bit like I do with The Order here and just enjoyed the ride. Can't quite remember how we got here, but the opening dialogue lets us know where we are and leads into some great action.

Skip Tracer - I'm not realluy a Skip Tracer fan. Despite its setting and use of tech and powers being familar enough to go along with, I couldn't really tell you what the big cube world/ship is called or what Skip does. However, this installment had some great art, whizzed along and left us with a nice cliffhanger for next prog. Quite enjoyed it.

Fiends Of The Eastern Front - some good old, Game Of Thrones style, bastardly and dastardly backstabbing. Gorgeous art. Great tale. But I'm beginning to not entirely trust it's narrator!

Hookjaw - Don't get me wrong, I am VERY intrigued to see what kind of monster we're dealing with but worry that once revealed, my excitement will wane, because I'm not a big fan of the art. The shark on the front cover is WAY scarier.

Overall, enhjoying the new line up

broodblik

The cover by Simon Coleby and Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

The postal droid seem to have forsaken me, last week's still not turned up and no sign of this week... better check my subbie! :'(
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Buttonman

And there's a letter page! Dissected right HERE!. Spoilers if you like reading the letters fresh - and who doesn't?

Colin YNWA

Well the cover makes it clear that whatever properties Hookjaw has its going to be a jumpy shark and as JimmyNailz says the more we strip away from the mystery the more this story will have to earn our engagement... still I'm getting ahead of myself.

Dredd is superb. This is the Rob Williams Dredd I want. Dark dealings and desperate self serving actions. This is ths Justice Department to reflect our times. I'm genuninely worried about what will happen to Maitland and what will Dredd make of all this. Just fantastic stuff.

Stickleback - New Jersalem what a glowy delight as Stickleback strips away its London cover and enters an even more magical world that's always run deep in the series.

Skip Tracer is soooo close. Its a tale that been told before and Paul Marshal's work gets better and better. But Skipperty is feeling a bit more human a bit less clunky 90s Prog gruff chuff in this one and we could have a good story on our heads. I do believe, I do believe...

Fiends is a saga of family traitory good stuff but how will it move on from the expoistion though? I'm not sure its structured to? Looks stunning.

Hook Jaw - exciting stuff bit as said above and by others careful what you leave us with. There's a lot been built up and we don't want it all just chomped down by chompy jumpy shark. I mean there's jumping the shark and there's jumping sharks and this tale could do with doing neither. Lets see though as so far so good.

Good Prog.

Barrington Boots

The prog rocked up yesterday. Awesome cover, digging the contents!

Dredd The Justice Department coming across like proper bad guys again and I'm enjoying this one very much, although Dredd vs some punks seems like a formality and the real story is Maitland. Despite her motivations I can't help but feel she's acting like a bit of a chump.

Stickleback - Looks great, not a lot else happening to comment on this week. [spoiler]I cannot for the life for me remember who the guy who shows up at the end is.[/spoiler]

Skip Tracer is ok. I still like the manga art style being used for India and nobody else. I can't help but wonder if this would be better if there was a bit more happening each episode - for an adventure story it sometimes feels a little slow paced sometimes.

Fiends looks amazing, is engaging, already feeling invested in where this is going.

Hook Jaw - definitely my favourite thing in the prog atm. It's really building the creepy horror atmosphere and the artwork has the right mix of gore and menace. The picture on page two [spoiler]with open mouth and the water foaming over the side of the boat whilst the guys pull away[/spoiler] is nightmarish. There's still a reveal to come as no way this is just a big shark gobbling everyone up, there's something more sinister at play and I think [spoiler]it all ties back to the witch from chapter 1[/spoiler].

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 05 October, 2020, 02:54:06 PM
Cover - Fantastic. I'd have it tattooed on me if me mutha wouldn't kill me for it.

You should do this anyway, I'm sure she would come round.

Also is this the same Jimmy Nailz I met at a Fight Club Pro show in Wolves a few years back? We might have talked about Dredd then.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 October, 2020, 11:33:10 AM
Stickleback - Looks great, not a lot else happening to comment on this week. [spoiler]I cannot for the life for me remember who the guy who shows up at the end is.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Same guy — the Ophidian — who turns up as the Three Sisters' henchman at the end of the first episode.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 October, 2020, 11:36:30 AM
Quote from: JimmyNailz on 05 October, 2020, 02:54:06 PM

You should do this anyway, I'm sure she would come round.

Also is this the same Jimmy Nailz I met at a Fight Club Pro show in Wolves a few years back? We might have talked about Dredd then.

The very same!  :D

broodblik

A good solid prog. I really like the different art styles present in the prog.

Dredd – This is becoming quite intriguing and I am enjoying the story so far. I must give credit to Boo cook's art here; this has for me been his bets work to date.

Stickelback – I am already pulled into the story and cannot wait to see how this will play out.

Skip Tracer – At least the story now has taken a more interesting turn.

Fiends – The story is building up quite nicely and ends with an interesting turn of events as new elements are introduced.

Hook Jaw – I am still hooked here, and this is one of those stories where the reveal will make or break the story. Great stuff.

broodblik

Barrington Boots

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 06 October, 2020, 12:35:24 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 October, 2020, 11:36:30 AM

The very same!  :D

Awesome!
Although I cannot believe you don't like Leigh Gallaghers art on Hookjaw.

TordelBack

Liking it all this week. Not a bum note to be heard.

Art droids going absolutely full-steam on every page, amazing that I find multiple rivals for top visuals in a prog that has D'Israeli on fire.

Hookjaw continues to hold my top thrill spot, and I think the reprise of teleporter/underneath/splices shenanigans actually helps to ground Skip Tracer in a recognisable setting for possibly the first time.

One tiny niggle, which doesn't detract from some glorious Boo art, but still: not enuff skullz on the SJS.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Whole lot of Flash Gordon goggles going on with the SJS.

There seem to be more analysts there than street judges!
Lock up your spoons!