Main Menu

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Over-Hyped Movie

Started by Dudley, 23 October, 2005, 06:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

loved it myself.  great fun for kids of ll ages.

JTurner

Buddy

I liked it too, so did Umpty Jr.

Didn't have as many 'in jokes' as I thought it could have given the material. Or maybe it did but I just miss them.

Looking forward to the DVD already, can't wait.

IndigoPrime

There were a few references here and there (the tortoise gardening ornament, and the quotes from earlier W&G films via one of the introduced characters, but that was about it); and the only concession I heard was when certain types of cheese were being "listed" at one point, Monterey Jack was mentioned?like Wallace, a cheese connoisseur, would have anything to do with that.

Rob Spalding

I thought it was hilarious.
Also liked the way you could tell what percentage of the audience were of a certain age by how many laughed at which jokes.  (The Gromit tuning in the radio moment is a prime example)

Harmful if Swallowed

Saw it tonight, thought it was great & by the sound of it so did most of the people sat in the same cinema.

DavidXBrunt

Well I saw it after all and thoroughly enjoyed it. Ade listed pretty much all the highlights and pretty much summed up how I feel.

It's not in the same league as the earlier W & G's but still good fun.

Interesting that the only Helena Bonham Carter films that have been worth watching in ages feature only her voice over stop motion manequins.

Tiplodocus

What DXB said.  

I can sort of see Dudders point though - the humour seemed to be a lot broader this time round and quite a bit of the W&G charm had gone but it was still enjoyable.

It definitely had a few "And now a joke for the adults" moments but I didn't think these were too laboured.  And it kept any in-joke and movie references to parodying arhctypes rather than riffinf off a particular movie (which I hate and find a lazy excuse for writing proper jokes).
s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

My favourite bit was when all the rabbits got sucked into the vacuum and you could see them swirling around beautifully in the air. It looked utterly magical - a top bit of animation and also the bit that most made me think I was watching a Wallace&Gromit film.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Slippery PD

Which Ironically is the only bit they used CGI for!!!

Slips

Floyd-the-k

There was a certain re-hashedness about it, but it was still pretty good. I can't see how it's been dumbed down from the other movies, they all seem equally dumb (or un-dumb) to me.

IndigoPrime

Well, apart from the other 699 or so digital shots...

Adrian Bamforth

There was something about the penguin in The Wrong Trousers at was hugely effective comedically: He was almost completely expressionless, in fact Gromit also has no mouth and expresses everything with his brow. The rabbits were quite cute but could have looked funnier in the same way. Another drawback in the film I think was because of the way the story went there was hardly any Wallace per se toward the end of the film, though it is a fun twist.

However, I enjoyed it more than the Madagaska Penguins short that came before it. Interesting how the rules of animation have been reinvented recently: There was very little smooth movement in that short, every character moved in jumpy kung-fu-style movements for a hyperactive effect kids must find really funny.

ADE

IndigoPrime

That just seems like a regression?plenty of old WB/HB cartoons moved in the same manner. As for the short itself, it was quite entertaining, although I wouldn't have wanted to watch a longer movie with those characters.

Oddboy

Missed the first few minutes, so didn't see the short.

Thought it was a fine film, but it did feel dragged out compared to the half-hour shows.

But Corpse Bride was aces to the extreme!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

If you hated the film that much you could always torch their warehouse...