Main Menu

Wanted trailer (Russian)

Started by Goaty, 23 May, 2008, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Bongo Jack

In all fairness, the big reveal in the comic was a story you've sen in a million different comics over the years, but it's fashionable to take superhero stories and strip the superhero elements out so it can be sold to a post-Buffy audience that wouldn't give a show about a chap in a mask the time of day - but change the chap in a mask to an everyman teen/twentysomething slacker and they go mental for it (Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of Buffy, Chuck, Reaper, Jumper, Jake 2.0, Bionic Woman).

The reveal, for those curious, is that the real world is the result of supervillains making everyone forget that superheroes ever existed
I do hope they at least keep the self-awareness and irony-free ending from the comic, where Miller inadvisably sums up his writing career and main audience in a couple of handy pages.
Live forever or die trying

Satanist

The ending to Wanted makes me want to punch someone in the face!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Goaty

Well, one scene in first trailer of Wanted(film) catch my eyes was that a screaming man break the window... is that father of the guy ? http://www.postergeek.com/WallPapers/wanted-2008/wanted-2008-4.jpg">

Radbacker

this does look batshit crazy, haven't read the comic but have heard about the imfamouse end and cant see that happening in the movie, kanda too self aware for a movie (plus half the cinema would riot).  Oh and it got Angelina Jollies big boobies in it.

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

The man going through the window is Steven the Irishman from 'Braveheart'.

Buttonman

Saw today and quite enjoyed it. Only read the comic last night in anticipation of going which may have been a mistake as I kept looking out for details which otherwise would have quite correctly passed me by.

Spoilers Follow! in case the new fangled system is too hard for me to figure.

[spoiler] I was disappointed that the whole supervillians angle had been scrapped and replaced with a bunch of dogooders reading rags for tips on who to kill. They didn't seem to question their motivation much especially as 'fate' was the one in charge. Apart from bullet bending no one had powers apart from the bloke in the trailer who can burst through windows and fly accross streets. No signs of any superheroes, so no shit heap, puzzler etc. Dictus was mentioned in passing as a dead operative and this was a sign to me that Morgan's gang may not be all nice really.Which I kinda guessed from the off anyway.

The action scenes were great with lots of flying cars and impossible shots. It is of course a CGI fest and that's just for Angelina's arse. Big bits of the dialogue are lifted wholesale from the comic but for the most part it bears no resemblence to it. Having read the comic I though Eminem may have been better in the lead although McAvoy does OK with the American accent.

The blonde Dr Who pavement shagger out of Hustle is in it. You have been warned.

All in all an enjoyable but daft popcorn movie that would have been more of a blast (and no doubt less sucessful) if they'd stuck to the supervillian war from the comic. 7/10. [/spoiler]

COMMANDO FORCES

Ha.
Buttonman was that spoiler supposed to be hidden or have I got x-ray eyes.

the shutdown man

I thought it was cool, pretty much exactly what it said on the tin; a kickass action film with some deadly stunts. No more, no less. Although, I do somewhat agree with one review I read that said that at times, it feels like a series of montages. Training montage, killing montage, etc....  Still, I enjoyed it.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Goosegash

If they ever cast "The 2000AD Story", surely David O'Hara(the gravelly voiced scot who gets offed at the start) would be a dead cert to play Wagner. Ever since I saw him in Doomsday, I've thought he might make a decent Dredd as well, he's got the voice for it. Eg, about 40 seconds into this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feELmdZUrTs

Keef Monkey

Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Haven't read any of the comics so can't really compare, but seeing it fresh I honestly haven't been that excited by an action movie in a long time(and that only has a little to do with Jolie's bare arse). The trailer didn't seem to do it justice at all, there was a lot more humour than portrayed, there's plenty of really big laughs and the script is nicely witty. I can imagine plenty of people not being able to suspend their disbelief enough to enjoy it but as long as fairly early on you just say "screw it" and enjoy the ride it's awesome. Like holy shitballs this movie is crazy kind of awesome. Really nice to see a foreign director travel to hollywood and show how it's done, and I'm really glad his sense of humour made the transition intact. Brilliant.

Matt Timson

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I wanted to.  The comic was infinitely superior, IMO.
Pffft...

Bongo Jack

It was all right.  Unsurprisingly, the ending from the comic was missing, but then there's no real way to replicate the comic's ending in a movie.

Mr Fuck-You:  Yeah, that's right - I've just raped a woman after killing a police station and then telling the burning pile of bricks to go fuck itself - what have you done today?
Reader: (thinks for five seconds) I got up at one in the afternoon, had a dump while rubbing one out to the hot Olsen twin, then watched Jeremy Kyle.  Being a real person and not a fictional character written by a man who has to shit in a bag, this means I've actually done considerably more than you have.  (puts down Wanted, picks up Ultimates) LOL!  "Stands for France!" indeed!

Loved the mental train chase, but I'm not sure about McAvoy.  No real objections, per se, he just didn't seem particularly convincing to me - although since it's a ludicrous film-universe the movie inhabits, perhaps I'm missing the point.
In a similar vein, here's the trailer for Punisher: War Zone starring Titus Pullo from Rome http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4qttbpPvOwI
For some reason, I found myself laughing through the trailer, but I'll go see it anyway.
Live forever or die trying

Roger Godpleton

I liked this a lot, although I suspect this is mainly due to the fact that I too am a loser and that I often dream of murdering hundreds of people.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!