Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 July, 2015, 09:49:16 AM
Played through The Terminator on the Sega Mega Drive at the weekend. Old games were hard.

You should try Robocop vs Terminator next. I can never get past the Robocop 2 section.

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 06 July, 2015, 12:41:59 PM
Played through The Terminator on the Sega Mega Drive at the weekend. Old games were hard.

You should try Robocop vs Terminator next. I can never get past the Robocop 2 section.

Shame on you James!
I swear to God, that was the first ever game I completed on day of purchase.
I got a bus back into town to get a refund later that evening.  :lol:

JamesC

I'm normally not too bad at these kinds of games but that bit always gets me! Robocop 2 can take too much punishment!

Back in the 8bit days I completed Captain Skyhawk (NES) on day of purchase and ended up buying Gremlins 2. Not the best decision I ever made.

ThryllSeekyr

Have gotten back into The Witcher Three....

For a few hours early this morning until I was driven by some unwelcome audio coming from website I had left open while playing. It was starting to ruin my game video, so I just closed it down there. First thing here, was to abandon the quest to get rid of the Arch-Griffon. It's just a bit to hard for Geralt right now and resume the Lost Brother quest. I have repeatably been putting that one off each time I find something else and then...

He busy finishing off some bandits who were keeping someone hostage and they were well armoured much harder to take down in simple fight. So, head to do this one by one, until there were only three of them left and then got up to do my business and when I sat back down here gain. I think some wolves mixed up with Wargs had killed him again.

So I spent the next twenty minutes, fighting off those, while dieing three times and eventually clearing those away for the time being and then returned to finishing off the bandits. BY using the horse this time and hitting each time I pass them by, it slow and you might think that the horse might add momentum and the weight of it's own body to his attack, but ...no, that just doesn't happen in this game...oh well.

I stopped playing by that stage, but I think I had weakened them from horseback and it's safer to attack them that way at least.

Played  more Ark Survival Evolved on and off over the last month and for about a hour or so today before I realised that some glitch was stopping me from placing any structures of my own. So Stopped playin there, and anyway, they were going to shut the game down in another thre hours fro maintenance.

They are adding more prehistoric wildlife each day and not just large saurian, Trilobites, large ape-folk and giant birds of prey as well.

My video for this particular game has no audio...strange.

BTW I had got my father (So I owe him some money....) to buy me another external hard-drive to make room for my videos and games. (Since he does all the shopping anyway!) It's third one I got now for this purpose and has really helped out a lot when either Yu-tube or my internet connection is not fast enough to upload the videos I need doing right now.

Brought some more Steam. One of them is cheap parody of GTA series and another is Zombie shooter where if you get bitten, you merely need to chug lots of beer to keep from getting infected.

Also reinstalling Secret World to see if I can finally get it working.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Link Prime on 06 July, 2015, 05:26:34 PM

Shame on you James!

I'm intrigued, will need to try it soon! I'm emulating on a Retropie, so have the luxury of being able to save my game which makes things a bit easier I guess. The Terminator probably has about 10mins of gameplay start to end but only gives you one life so trying to learn each stage (and the insta-death moments) and get a perfect run would have probably been quite frustrating back in the day.

Been playing the SNES version of Alien 3 as well which I've always had fond memories of. Surprising how much atmosphere that game still has! Also have Judge Dredd The Movie but got stuck on the first level, will need to go back and see if I can figure it out.

JPMaybe

Picked up Civilization: Beyond Earth in a Steam sale.  It does have some of Civ's compulsive clickability, but that's because it's little more than a reskinned Civ V.  Very bland and unadventurous, especially when compared to Alpha Centauri.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 July, 2015, 10:48:31 AM
I'm intrigued, will need to try it soon!

It was pretty good stuff as far as I recall.
A definite fond memory of Robocop taking down an ED209, then salvaging one of its gun arms as a weapon.

JamesC

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 July, 2015, 10:48:31 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 06 July, 2015, 05:26:34 PM

Shame on you James!

I'm intrigued, will need to try it soon! I'm emulating on a Retropie, so have the luxury of being able to save my game which makes things a bit easier I guess. The Terminator probably has about 10mins of gameplay start to end but only gives you one life so trying to learn each stage (and the insta-death moments) and get a perfect run would have probably been quite frustrating back in the day.

Been playing the SNES version of Alien 3 as well which I've always had fond memories of. Surprising how much atmosphere that game still has! Also have Judge Dredd The Movie but got stuck on the first level, will need to go back and see if I can figure it out.

If you like 16 bit run n' gun games you should try Ranger X on the Megadrive if you haven't already. Its a cross between a run n' gun and a shmup and is one of the best games of the era in my opinion.

I, Cosh

So, Dark Souls 2 was going cheap on PSN recently. I'm about 8 hours or more in and I think I've made a terrible mistake. Nothing wrong with the game. I knew it was going to be hard and it's doing a great job of that. I didn't really have much of an idea what I was doing to start with so I've missed out on a whole lot of souls/levelling up in the very early parts of the game and used up all sorts of apparently good stuff without realising it. Not that I've got that far right enough: beating the first diddy-boss knight dude took me about twenty or thirty attempts.

Basically, should I abandon a week's worth of play and start again given that I'd be a lot more confident in what I'm doing and be a lot stronger/better equipped by the time I got to the same point?

The other question is who to play? I started out with the dual-wielding Swordsman character because he seems cool and I generally find the big hammer-throwing dudes in these games a bit of a bore. However, I'm struggling with the lack of defense on my guy whenever I'm up against more than one or two pricks.

Advice please.
We never really die.

Zenith 666

Use the wiki page for dark souls games there's no shame in it and it's punishing enough.If you only gone eight hours in a week I'm guessing your gaming time is short.my run through on Dsouls 2 was over a hundred hours offline with no help.i would recommend an online play through it's more challenging but rewards are greater and you'll receive messages from other players with helpful tips and winning an invasion against a more powerful player is the best feeling in gaming.

J.Smith

What character class you choose really isn't that important since you can respec your stats multiple times later on with great ease (albeit from the starting stats of whatever class you chose), completely changing your build should you wish to do so. But if it's melee you want to focus on then pick a Warrior or Knight for your first playthrough. The Warrior starts with the highest strength and a shield as I recall, but the Knight is a bit more balanced whilst still packing a punch and also starts with high Vigor (health). That's the one I'd pick, especially if you're finding defense an issue (with higher health you can tank more hits) early on. Since you won't immediately have a shield when starting with that class, just make sure you're using your sword with both hands and focus on getting behind enemies for backstabs or the higher damage.

Professor Bear

Rambo: The Video Game is so bad it deserves a medal - an actual medal that the people responsible are forced to wear before they go into business meetings in the same way that lepers used to be forced to go around ringing a bell.
If it was simply incompetence, that would at least give it the usual shovelware charm, but the game design consists of one bad decision heaped upon another until it becomes almost unplayable without using in-game "perks" just to disable what makes it unplayable in the first place (particularly the shakycam), which has to be a first for me: a game that rewards you for continuing to play by giving you the option to disable the elements that make it a bad game.
It's an on-rails shooter in much the same mold of something like Lethal Enforcers, Time Crisis, or Mad Dog McCready, but bafflingly, it doesn't support a light gun, as the onscreen crosshairs contain a gameplay-essential "reload wheel", as you don't just reload your gun, you have to play a minigame (every single time you reload) where you try to stop a needle zooming around the wheel in a tiny "perfect reload" zone in order to successfully reload your weapon, and if you miss you only have half the amount of ammo you normally would, and it takes two or three times as long to complete the reloading animation, which often leaves you standing in the middle of a crowd of enemies with no cover waiting for your gun to reload with about nine bullets which your guns shoots off three at a time.
Despite the game being built entirely around the crosshairs rather than a lightgun, the crosshairs are overly sensitive and imprecise, making aiming at mid-range enemies a random affair - you can usually fail to draw a bead on someone because the crosshairs jump too far past them, and even if you do get a bead on them, the weapon spread usually means you miss anyway.  It took me ages to realise that the reason some enemies weren't dying was because the bullets weren't passing by the bit of scenery near them, like it has an invisible forcefield that extends to about a meter around the object and stops your bullets dead - but not your enemies', naturally.
Oh, and the random QTE - oh what a joy they are!  And there's even an actual entire level of the game that's just QTEs from start to finish.  The game can often switch from one kind of gameplay to another without warning or informing you this has happened, like the bit where you control the guns in a helicopter which is then followed by a bit where you have to aim crosshairs at a shrinking circle or you immediately die and have to restart the entire section of the game, but it doesn't tell you this, and to make it challenging, the crosshairs start off outside the screen so you don't even realise what you're supposed to be doing and oh joy, the restart points!
Apparantly they had something like three years to churn this out, but I don't see how that's possible.  This game is so bad it is very possibly the strongest argument against capitalism since the Cuban health service.

JamesC

You should've bought this:

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Fitba McHurdygurdy on 08 July, 2015, 04:36:14 PM
Rambo: The Video Game is so bad it deserves a medal - an actual medal that the people responsible are forced to wear before they go into business meetings in the same way that lepers used to be forced to go around ringing a bell.
If it was simply incompetence, that would at least give it the usual shovelware charm, but the game design consists of one bad decision heaped upon another until it becomes almost unplayable without using in-game "perks" just to disable what makes it unplayable in the first place (particularly the shakycam), which has to be a first for me: a game that rewards you for continuing to play by giving you the option to disable the elements that make it a bad game.
It's an on-rails shooter in much the same mold of something like Lethal Enforcers, Time Crisis, or Mad Dog McCready, but bafflingly, it doesn't support a light gun, as the onscreen crosshairs contain a gameplay-essential "reload wheel", as you don't just reload your gun, you have to play a minigame (every single time you reload) where you try to stop a needle zooming around the wheel in a tiny "perfect reload" zone in order to successfully reload your weapon, and if you miss you only have half the amount of ammo you normally would, and it takes two or three times as long to complete the reloading animation, which often leaves you standing in the middle of a crowd of enemies with no cover waiting for your gun to reload with about nine bullets which your guns shoots off three at a time.
Despite the game being built entirely around the crosshairs rather than a lightgun, the crosshairs are overly sensitive and imprecise, making aiming at mid-range enemies a random affair - you can usually fail to draw a bead on someone because the crosshairs jump too far past them, and even if you do get a bead on them, the weapon spread usually means you miss anyway.  It took me ages to realise that the reason some enemies weren't dying was because the bullets weren't passing by the bit of scenery near them, like it has an invisible forcefield that extends to about a meter around the object and stops your bullets dead - but not your enemies', naturally.
Oh, and the random QTE - oh what a joy they are!  And there's even an actual entire level of the game that's just QTEs from start to finish.  The game can often switch from one kind of gameplay to another without warning or informing you this has happened, like the bit where you control the guns in a helicopter which is then followed by a bit where you have to aim crosshairs at a shrinking circle or you immediately die and have to restart the entire section of the game, but it doesn't tell you this, and to make it challenging, the crosshairs start off outside the screen so you don't even realise what you're supposed to be doing and oh joy, the restart points!
Apparantly they had something like three years to churn this out, but I don't see how that's possible.  This game is so bad it is very possibly the strongest argument against capitalism since the Cuban health service.

Was that the one that was made a few years back and is supposed to be completely on rails.

I avoided that one, but if you mean the one that was  made back when the film of the same name was in distribution on the silver screens all around the world. A top down shooter, that was one was okay, and just fine. Even though I never played it. I used to read heaps of computer-gaming magazines (When they were more accessable to me than this one!) in those days and found out enough about that game this way and saw that it was on the level with most of the other computer games of that time. I remember kids would rave about this game at school.

Mean while Back at home....

I was playing The Witcher Three again for a few hours yesterday after the electrician fixed our little problem. (Split milk.....)

Finally cleared out this bandit camp that only had three of them left, but they were well armoured and took some systematic and tactical beating. (It's true, ....I tell no lie, because it's on a video I will have uploaded some time!) That camp must have started out with between seven or ten guys. No female bandits !!! (So much for equality so far....)

It took me the entire time I had put aside to play this yesterday to do this. and then I just stopped.

I played a bit of Elite Dangerous for small while this morning and had terrible time of it. As I picked up from where I left off....being stranded close to a sun after running out enough fuel to jump anywhere else or get back into Super-Cruise to try to scop any more.

Fortunately, through some fluke of my version of this game that I own. I must have been given the smallest smidgen of fuel to get back into Super-Cruise. Which I did and then had problems with multiple mal-functioning modules (Try saying that twenty times and real fast!) when I attempted to scoop fuel I almost got dropped again and then lost power to thrusters and life support. I went to right hand holo-menu to fix this and tried shutting down some other less essential system to fix this, no it wouldn't work.

So, I just sat there patiently while my air ran out. I tried to use the auto-repair system. Which cannabalises other systems to fix what is really needed, (I guess?) and this failed each time I tried. Yet the effects were cool enough. 

So, I lost my ship again, but no big deal, as I restarted in the hangar bay of the last space-station I left in the previous game session. I picked every contract available to me and namely one that wanted me to shift four canisters of Narcotics to a place where they are illegal and find some ancient artifacts floating around in two separate systems each. As alight from my landing pad feeling like something was amiss as I didn't so much as rise towards the center of no gravity to be facing the letterbox exit way as pivot and lurch sideways  into open of the next sort fixtures. Then I compensated and rose away to accelerate outside into real space.

(This is turning into story, but it will end soon enough...)

Barely escaping the local guards who I nearly lost three layers of shield before I was far enough always to Frame-Shift-Jump to that system that need the Narcotics. Damn, I though even the standard outfitting giving to every Side-Winder were enough to give me more leeway before jumping.

Frist thing want to do was shoot down some pirates (Other than myself.....) in case they happen to earn me a sweet bounty  on top of  70 - 80 + credits (At rough guess!) I would be making after these three contracts were completed and handed in. Yet it is this much greed that will become my down fall. I managed to earn another 5000 before  ran into same problem I was having with modules I was having before after I got interdicted. (Lassoed in space!)

He did enough damage to my cargo hatch that it automatically jettisoned all four canisters of the narcotics I was previously given at the last station. I merely ignored the other pirate's taunts of collecting my wares and wanting more before I did. I got all those back minus one which became forever lost to me and also automatic mission fail. I lost my contract with that missing canister and was not even prepared to find another floating around or skip to another system to see if I could buy one to complete this.

The other problem I was having with my multiple-malfunctioning-modules was merely solved this time shutting down one of my Shield-Boosters. One of the outfitting I chose when purchasing this ship and not knowing wether it made a difference and there were two of them! They are suppose to stack, you know. Anyway, I also realised that I never had a Fuel-Scoop (Hence my earlier problems with trying to use them to collect fuel!) and thought this was a little weird since I always make sure I have one every time I purchased a new ship in the game. Sounds like foul-foolery to me. So, I made a mental note of getting one  next time I could.

Some where along the line I did land, but only to pay a fine and get repairs, so this might have been before I earned that 5000 credit bounty. I just not letting the sequence unfold in the correct order.

This story ends where I had in very short amount of time had found one of those massive-space-sorties and drop into it, while losing all three layers and taking nearly 50% damage to my hull Before choosing faction.  I choose what ever was apposed to the local boys and girls.

Bad idea....... and I had only just completely depleted the first of my target's shields when they finished me off. Even though my shield was back up. I was just too impatient after waiting s long.

I was in no mood to keep coming and just shut the game down afterwards.

Famous Mortimer

CLICKER HEROES

CLICK
CLICK
CLICK
X1000000000000000000000000000000000
???
PROFIT

Fun for doing while you're listening to podcasts.