Main Menu

Meg 324 - Rising Sun

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 19 May, 2012, 12:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

Did anyone spot that the cover art for the new Solaris book 'Deadfall Hotel' is by this guy: http://johnkenn.blogspot.co.uk/

Maybe we'll see him in the prog someday - a nice creepy Terror Tale please.

Big shoutout to Smudge too for his wonderful Dredd portrait in Alec Worley's text story.

Trout

No need for all that!  :)

Just remember that if you start a review thread, it should have a review in it.

Trout

Sorry - that last post was in answer to BSC.

vzzbux

The last three panels of Dredd. Is Si having a go at us comic book readers. Thats the impression I got.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Pete Wells

I think Si is having a go at U.S. comic readers, as opposed to 'us' comic readers, perhaps?

I drokking LOVED that Dredd, it was brilliant. The [spoiler]'Time For A Team Up![/spoiler]' and it's subsequent panel made me laugh out loud, as did the afore-mentioned final three panels. An absolute joy, it's great to have Spurriur back.

vzzbux

Thats what I mean't.. U.S.
Curse my lazy typing.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mikey

I'm a bit surprised the cover hasn't tickled my fancy much given the creators! But yeah, it's grand.

Dredd I thought was ok overall. It just didn't click fully for me because I can't get over the PR Judges existence, stupidly. I would like to see more of The Bugger's adventures though!

Samizdat Squad is graced with some wonderful, wonderful art and it's building up well with the spooky wee lad appearing. Good stuff! Feels more of a 2000ad strip if you know what I mean, but it benefits from the longer page count.

Snapshot - hard to say much about a mainly action episode, apart from top action scribbles! This is a good intruiging story I'm enjoying so far. Don't know where it's going to end up which is always a good sign!

I found Hondo City Justice a bit like several people shouting at me about different things at once. There's a lot in the episode and at times it felt like I was reading several different strips - I know it's setting out all the story elements, but I was tired and felt confused! I'll give it a re read to get it straight before next month.

The text story annoyed me for one reason - I've had that core [spoiler]scream orchestra  [/spoiler] idea kicking around in me head for years, but have obviously not the talent or inclination to have done anything with useful with it!  >:( It was great to see a text story if you ask me - I'd be happy with more. And I did enjoy it, Alec! A good one off. Nice Dredd illo too.

I've only started the floppy so will only give a hearty  :thumbsup: for Parkhouses art.

Good Meg, Tharg.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Proudhuff

Cover - fine could have done with a couple of Whoosh! lines

Dredd - Enjoye dthis nice and light hearted ribbiing of The Gusset Brigade and their fans.

Samizdat Squad - not too sure about that train/spider thang, I think i prefered PJ chunkier, darker art work , but thats just me

Snapshot - an episode long car chase, hmmm, hopefully the story will move along as quick next month

Hondo City Justice - Crickey that's a big creative team, all looking good, unfortunately I've half read the Floppy and now the two stories are jumbled in ma noggin!!

Floppy - half read, the red skull baddie is a bit old hat and the unnecessary topless fights grates a bit, strangely happy to see the return of Mr Kipling tho'

Interviews & Fiction - Read the scream thang, and the other nothing raelly shaking my tree or floating ma boat

Dreddlines
- Proudfoot Vs Buttonman !!
DDT did a job on me

a chosen rider

Quote from: Mikey on 23 May, 2012, 10:37:40 AMDredd I thought was ok overall. It just didn't click fully for me because I can't get over the PR Judges existence, stupidly.

I just got up to prog 1709 in my catch-up efforts and discovered there's a Judge Kamble, Public Relations Department in there.  (As opposed to Judge Camble, Public Relations Division here.)  Apparently Spurrier liked the idea of PR Judges so much he invented them twice.

I wonder if this Meg story's been sitting unused in a drawer for years and got pulled out to coincide with the Avengers film?
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Mikey

I should clarify - it's not the possible existence of a Justice PR Department, but how they'd actually act as Judges if they're in a strip. I just can't get a member of the Justice Department acting like such a mimsy, even if they're PR.  I don't usually get hung up about such things but just feel Dredd would, or perhaps should have gubbed them when they showed up. My problem!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

a chosen rider

Quote from: Mikey on 23 May, 2012, 11:10:48 AM
I should clarify - it's not the possible existence of a Justice PR Department, but how they'd actually act as Judges if they're in a strip. I just can't get a member of the Justice Department acting like such a mimsy, even if they're PR.  I don't usually get hung up about such things but just feel Dredd would, or perhaps should have gubbed them when they showed up. My problem!

M.

I know what you mean.  You'd expect Justice Department PR to be involved in things like faking the deaths of Volt and Fargo and those kind of cover-ups, not swanning about like theatrical darlings the way they do in this story.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: a chosen rider on 23 May, 2012, 11:02:16 AM
Quote from: Mikey on 23 May, 2012, 10:37:40 AMDredd I thought was ok overall. It just didn't click fully for me because I can't get over the PR Judges existence, stupidly.

I just got up to prog 1709 in my catch-up efforts and discovered there's a Judge Kamble, Public Relations Department in there.  (As opposed to Judge Camble, Public Relations Division here.)  Apparently Spurrier liked the idea of PR Judges so much he invented them twice.

Was that the one where some illegal immigrants tried to enter Mega-City One inside a giant fish?

a chosen rider

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 23 May, 2012, 11:56:45 AM

Was that the one where some illegal immigrants tried to enter Mega-City One inside a giant fish?

Yep, that's the one.

Alski

I'm happy to go along with mimsy PR judges if the story is fun, and this one was a blast. A nice break from the bleak Prog Dredd.

I'm finding Samizdat Squad really dull, as I did the last series. The art is cool, but I hate the story.

Snapshot is intriguing, and probably will be a good complete read through later on.

Hondo Justice looked fabulous and was a good read to boot. Loved that the not-quite-copyright-breaking Hulk thing at the end was followed by "Next Issue: Rampage". 

Nice letters page, apart from that Watson bloke. My letter was Arsom though.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: a chosen rider on 23 May, 2012, 12:16:37 PM
Quote from: Tim Tailz on 23 May, 2012, 11:56:45 AM

Yep, that's the one.

I thought so. I remembered seeing a PR Judge somewhere fairly recently but I couldn't quite remember where it was.