Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: pictsy on 20 March, 2023, 12:04:46 AM...B5 fumbles it's ending with it's stinking garbage of a last season.

It's weird, but every time I watch B5 I think this way going in to Season Five but soon find myself wondering why. It has some great episodes like The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father and The fall of Centauri Prime, amongst others, and I'm always glad I watched it. Weird.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: pictsy on 20 March, 2023, 12:04:46 AMIt's no way near as bad as how B5 fumbles it's ending with it's stinking garbage of a last season (I know they thought the show was going to get cancelled and rushed through season 4, but still).

That was down to the studio.  B5 was always on the verge of being cancelled and it looked like season 5 was going to be the last one.  Essentially two seasons worth of material got rolled into one which is why it was so crammed. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) the ratings gave it a reprieve but it left them with a problem.  They had finished the story they originally planned to tell.

Hence Season 5 being such a mess.  Granted there were some good episodes (Gaiman's "Day of the Dead" episode for instance).  Overall though it was a disappointment.  Much like Crusade which didn't even manage a full season.

It's best to view the first four seasons as the core with season 5 as something that could quite cheerfully be missed.

I, Cosh

Funnily enough, I started to watch DS9 on Netflix about a year ago and I'm now almost three quarters of the way through the first series!

I'd only ever seen the pilot before and it's been pretty good. I was surprised how quickly and well they leaned into the same kind of life during wartime, resistance vs collaboration grey areas which Battlestar Galactica did.
We never really die.

pictsy

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 March, 2023, 07:07:10 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 20 March, 2023, 12:04:46 AM...B5 fumbles it's ending with it's stinking garbage of a last season.

It's weird, but every time I watch B5 I think this way going in to Season Five but soon find myself wondering why. It has some great episodes like The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father and The fall of Centauri Prime, amongst others, and I'm always glad I watched it. Weird.

You're right, that is weird.  Don't worry, I won't hold it against you.  ;)

pictsy

Funny thing about B5 is even if I disregard Season 5 and pretend it doesn't exist, the show still badly fumbles it's ending.

It does actually bother me a little because I think the first three seasons are great.  The build in tension is wonderful and it just got better and better.  But I can really tell Season 4 was rushed and Season 5 is a mess.  There was a story to be told and they were on track to tell it and then they got derailed.  I can't help but think of what could have been. 

Link Prime

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 19 March, 2023, 07:48:51 PMBut when you binge the whole thing... My heart says Next Gen is the best

The Pops is belligerent. Adversarial.

Hawkmumbler

Casually working my way through ARCHER.

It's chucklesome a lot of the time but occasionally quite annoying, and i'm not 100% sold on why it's got quite such a reputation and has achieved the longevity it has.

The Legendary Shark

Fate has thrown Jam and Jerusalem in front of my eyeballs and it's great British telly. Some great performances and properly laugh-out-loud moments. The scene where David Mitchell's doctor is confronted by his old schoolteacher, magnificently played by Miriam Margolyes, who attends his surgery for a scheduled smear test, is sublime. I remember enjoying it when I first watched it in 2006 but I don't remember it being this good.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trooper McFad

shadow & Bone I watched the 1st season ages ago and then they dropped season 2 so had to watch both back to back just to remind me.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't put it in my top 10!

The thing that I would take from it is that there is a "small" flavour of Dante running through it! If anyone else has bothered with this I'd be interested if they tasted those flavours (they are small but it was always in the back of my mind)
Maybe I'm just grasping thin air in hope that if something like this can make it to the screen then Dante will one day make the leap?

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 March, 2023, 10:05:02 AMCasually working my way through ARCHER.

It's chucklesome a lot of the time but occasionally quite annoying, and i'm not 100% sold on why it's got quite such a reputation and has achieved the longevity it has.

Welp, I finished all of ARCHER in like 10 days, so I guess it won me over.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

moly

Shadow & bone I found it enjoyable but light, carnival row is so much better

The Legendary Shark

Resident Alien. Charming and funny, I am enjoying this even though I am a stupid human.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 April, 2023, 05:55:39 PMResident Alien. Charming and funny, I am enjoying this even though I am a stupid human.

If you've not read the conic I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you have hail it loudly.

The Legendary Shark

I haven't, but I'll see if I can track it down - thanks for the tip!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]