Main Menu

Classic Stories and Hidden Gems

Started by pictsy, 03 November, 2014, 01:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

In regards to Alan McKenzie and Hilary Robinson copyright ownership disputes:

"Her relationship with 2000AD broke down when editor Alan McKenzie told her he would be giving Medivac 318 to another writer. Robinson had never signed over her copyright in the characters, and after an exchange of solicitors' letters the publisher acknowledged that she owned the copyright in Medivac 318, Zippy Couriers and Chronos Carnival. A third series of Chronos Carnival, for which scripts and art had been completed, was shelved, and 2000AD never published another story by her. " [source]

A massive shame as I have thoroughly been enjoying both Medivac 318 and Zippy Couriers.  The idea of a lost yet completed story is interesting though.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 November, 2014, 01:56:05 PM
From Grace. One of Spurrier's best and gorgeous art from the lad Irving.

That's a good one- Spurrier was already a very talented writer at that stage, but this made me stand up and take notice.

I'd also approve of a complete Bix Barton (including any one-off stories from the specials / yearbook).
It was absolutely bonkers, in the 2000AD mold.

A side note- if anyone out there knows if Bix Barton original artwork is available for sale (either by Jim McCarthy or another party), I would really appreciate a PM with contact details.

Skullmo

Quote from: Link Prime on 04 November, 2014, 02:20:45 PM
From Grace. One of Spurrier's best and gorgeous art from the lad Irving.

That's a good one- Spurrier was already a very talented writer at that stage, but this made me stand up and take notice.

I'd also approve of a complete Bix Barton (including any one-off stories from the specials / yearbook).
It was absolutely bonkers, in the 2000AD mold.

A side note- if anyone out there knows if Bix Barton original artwork is available for sale (either by Jim McCarthy or another party), I would really appreciate a PM with contact details.

Contact me first!! I want it more!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Link Prime

Quote from: Skullmo on 04 November, 2014, 02:25:20 PM
Contact me first!! I want it more!

He's got deeper pockets, but I've got a soul.
I leave the choice in your hands.

Jim_Campbell

Big fan of Shadows myself. Another one I really liked, although I'm not sure how hidden it is, was From Grace. One of Spurrier's best and gorgeous art from the lad Irving.

It was included in the Storming Heaven collection, of which there are still second-hand copies available on Amazon.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

AlexF

I was partial to a lot of the Vector 13 one-offs, and to Black Light, a series in a similar mould (and fairly recently reprinted in the Megazine.) Writer John Smith, despite being a regular contributor over the last 20+ years, and much-reprinted, still feels like a 'hidden gem' legend: Killing Time, Revere, Firekind, Slaughterbowl, Devlin Waugh (especially the 2000AD epic), Leatherjack, Dead Eyes, Cradlegrave...

More recently, I've enjoyed the heck out of the occasional episodes of Dandridge. Time will tell whether or not Ichabod Azrael is seen as a classic or a hidden gem, but it's definitely ace either way.

pictsy

I am fond of a lot of John Smith's stuff.  Even the confused Tyranny Rex 'Soft Bodies'.  Devlin Waugh is an all time favourite, mixing stereotypes together to create an endearing character.  The Red Tide epic is one of my favourites from both Smith and Steve Yeowell.  I am totally looking forward to reading the original Indigo Prime, Revere and Firekind.  He's a writer who can deliver.

Dandridge I thought started well but failed to follow up.  For some reason I don't really enjoy Ichabod Azrael that much.  There's just something about it that prevents me getting into it, but I can't say what that is.

Frank

Quote from: pictsy on 04 November, 2014, 02:19:34 PM
A third series of Chronos Carnival, for which scripts and art had been completed, was shelved, and 2000AD never published another story by her. " [source]

A massive shame as I have thoroughly been enjoying both Medivac 318 and Zippy Couriers.  The idea of a lost yet completed story is interesting though

You may be the only person on Earth who wishes 2000ad had published more Chronos Carnival. I'd have been more interested in reading the results of John Smith's offer to rewrite the word balloons of that unpublished strip, casting the male lead as a cynical pervert spouting bile at the supporting cast.

Greg M.

Quote from: pictsy on 04 November, 2014, 04:52:08 PM
I am totally looking forward to reading the original Indigo Prime, Revere and Firekind.  He's a writer who can deliver.

I increasingly feel that Revere is the best thing Smith ever worked on. For a work of apocalyptic occult drug-fuelled weirdness, the story is genuinely beautiful - not just the sublime art of Harrison, but the emotional impact of Smith's script. One of the finest endings to any 2000AD series ever too - and the whole thing reads extremely well in one go, maybe better than it did in weekly doses.

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 November, 2014, 12:55:08 PM
I very much doubt that Rebellion thinks there's enough pent-up demand for a Summer Magic reprint to justify getting legal advice and moving forward from there ...

I don't know ... maybe if Alan McKenzie murdered someone famous.

pictsy

Quote from: sauchie tower on 04 November, 2014, 05:04:39 PM
You may be the only person on Earth who wishes 2000ad had published more Chronos Carnival. I'd have been more interested in reading the results of John Smith's offer to rewrite the word balloons of that unpublished strip, casting the male lead as a cynical pervert spouting bile at the supporting cast.

You may have misinterpreted my post on that one.  I've not actually read Chronos Carnival yet and have absolutely no judgement on it either way.  I have been enjoying Zippy Couriers and Medivac 318 and do feel it's a shame that Robinson never continued to write for 2000AD.  I'm going to be looking forward to Chronos Carnival and you never know, I may end up being the only person on Earth who wishes more had been published ;)

Frank

Let's hope so - we're nothing if not a broad church, and all opinions and tastes are welcomed and catered for. Except opinions concerning and tastes which encompass an appreciation of  Dry Run.

TordelBack

Medivac 318 and Zippy Couriers are both good original stories with definite charm, and deserved longer runs and more appreciation - Chronos Carnival is an unholy mess that only escapes being the worst thing Ron Smith was ever chained to because he had a stretch on Fleisher's utterly lamentable Rogue Trooper run.

Speaking of friend McKenzie I'm going to stop short of describing Moon Runners as a 'hidden gem', but it definitely could have been.  A lot of potential in the setup and some surreal art from Massimo, but despite running for something like 20 episodes it just never really happened.  I wish it had.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 November, 2014, 05:52:11 PM
Medivac 318 and Zippy Couriers are both good original stories with definite charm, and deserved longer runs and more appreciation - Chronos Carnival is an unholy mess that only escapes being the worst thing Ron Smith was ever chained to because he had a stretch on Fleisher's utterly lamentable Rogue Trooper run.

Well, Ron Smith also has a brief run on Mark Millar's RoboHunter which he's apparently decided he's going to make no effort whatsoever with, and I really can't blame him at all for that...

Robinson is great at writing characters - Maeve the Many Armed and her supporting cast are wonderful as well.  I think Chronos Carnival falls down because she's trying to be epic...

Another Hidden Gem - Steve Dillon's Hap Hazzard.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Colin YNWA

I'm a big fan of Medivac 318, particularly the first series. There's a scene in it that's one of my all time fav'swhen Nurse McKinnon (I think and thanks to Paul Prog Slog - AND apologise for my ignorance... phew any way lets get out of these brackets...) is waiting with a stretcher bound solider for an ambulance. Its so atmospheric and atypical of 2000ad (which I guess is typically 2000ad!). I'm lucky cos its an unpopular strip, by a criminally under-rated artist I picked up 3 pages of the art not that long ago.

For all the Millar distaste in these parts (I include myself in that) and its derivative nature I'm a big fan of Silo as well.

Sorry for using everyone's quota of brackets for the night (I'll spare you comments on Luke Kirby but would love to see it again)