Main Menu

Prog 2333 - Far Out

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 May, 2023, 09:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Hmmm this line-up had such promise but its flagging a little at the moment.

Dredd is solidly dependable seeing him build a team is always interesting BUT we've seen it and that wonky premise... its fine just too many niggles.

Durham Red set up a chilling punishment for Durham, good episode.

Enemy Earth well its fine.

Rogue Trooper remains great.

The problem is The Out and it amazes me to say this. I've enjoyed this series start to finish and this book has been no exception... well aside from the finish. This weeks conclusion feels like a cope out. Now I have faith that when read in context with the rest of the series and Book IV promised to be in production already it'll work fine BUT read in isolation like this its feels like a complete handwave to what's been set up so far. The thrilling cliffhanger from last episode is just brushed aside and it feels... well cheap and robs any emotional impact from what follows.

As said I sure when this is seen with surrounding context that will be gained as the series progress this may well work very well. As it is this is by far the most disappointing episode of the series to date and given my expectations are so high this weighs heavily on the Prog as a whole.

Anti-climactic.

Richard

I disagree about The Out, that ending had been foreshadowed enough and it worked perfectly well for me. 

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Richard on 21 May, 2023, 10:54:25 AMI disagree about The Out, that ending had been foreshadowed enough and it worked perfectly well for me.

How so...?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Barrington Boots

My favourite thing about this Prog run at the moment is that it's arriving on a Saturday again and I'm loving it.

Dredd is cool, the story is building nicely - lovely art as well, thug robot rules - I love that kind of stuff where the robot has been given a hat and vest to look like an old school stevedore legbreaker.

Sad to read that you felt a bit let down by The Out's wrap up episode Colin, given how invested you are in it. I can see where you're coming from there - last weeks cliffhanger is kinda handwaved away and then the whole Tankinar plot just sort of wraps - but the larger plot for this book, for me, was the messages between Cyd and her daughter and that is rightfully the climax. Personally I wouldn't mind this moving away from the war plot, which hasn't been the strongest element of the strip for me. I thought this was a lovely, fitting finale.

No Durham Red or Enemy Earth for me, I might go back and read the whole run when they wrap up.

Rogue Trooper - now this is what I've been waiting for. Still not convinced by the pacing of this tale, but looking forward to what comes next. As ever it looks bloody amazing. Also wanted to say although I've had a moan about the series so far, I've been digging the characterisation of the bio-chips: too often generic (especially in the case of Helm / Bagman) but here they have distinctive voices.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

I've only read The Out so far and it knocked me for six. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the episode was simultaneously both wonderfully happy and crushingly sad. Perhaps it's the parent in me coming out, but that final page moved me to tears, which is a vanishingly rare thing in comics. (Although, with the same having happened in recent months with Mazebook, Upgrade Soul and Daytripper, maybe I'm just becoming a big softie these days.)

IndigoPrime

OK, I've read the rest now and it's good to know more The Out is on the way (from Tharg's intro). Dredd was solid, although I do hope the tracking thing is resolved in this. Feels a bit odd for Dredd to have Find My in his noggin. Durham Red kicks things up another gear. Enemy Earth has gigantic terrifying dolphins. And Rogue's twist continues to grab the interest. Again, a Prog where nothing is any less than good for me. Top stuff!

The Out > Durham Red > Rogue > Dredd > Enemy Earth But all on the right side of good!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 22 May, 2023, 07:50:13 AM
Quote from: Richard on 21 May, 2023, 10:54:25 AMI disagree about The Out, that ending had been foreshadowed enough and it worked perfectly well for me.

How so...?
There had already been several earlier scenes where Cyd's daughter (or some powerful entity pretending to be her daughter anyway) had spoken to her and said that intervening was forbidden (which implies that it is nevertheless possible).

broodblik

With the end of book 3 it looks like The Out for the next chapter will head back to the initial chapters in book 1 until Abnett jumps out of the cake with a "surprise" storyline. We never know what is going to happen next and that is just great. Really enjoyed The Out so far one of the best prog strips ever.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

The final cover:

Some alternative color schemes:

broodblik

A good prog

A very enjoyable prog with a lovely cover. The new thrill next week looks quite interesting as well.

Dredd – So far, the premises are quite interesting, and Carroll is definitely weaving a grittier more darker tale here. I wonder how long it will take for Dredd to start piecing together the puzzle pieces. As always Marshall's art is good.

Durham Red – Interesting now that Red has been captured, we get some more backstory to the main protagonist. Enjoying this and continue to be the Red I want to see.

Enemy Earth – The story is steadying growing on me but still not there yet. Art for me is the biggest issue.

The Out – A great ending to the story. It is almost like the "innocent" is back with the ending Abnet crafted. The Out was never about violence or action rather a journey of discovery. It is not like the end of the level stuff where we are required to have another boss-battle but rather a subtle gentle ending to the fight just like that. Bring on Book 4.

Rogue Trooper – We are back at Nu-Earth and Ennis is keeping his cards close to his chest. How did the worlds blend and how is it possible to have the WW1 setting on Nu-Earth and vice versa? Enjoying this and Goddard's art is a joy to behold.

norton canes

Red pips Blue to TOP THRILL this week as Alec Worley's awesome action tale tears it up yet again. Please Tharg, release the Willsher droid's phenomenal first page panel without text, titles and credits so I can print it as a poster. Are these new DR stories being issued as hardcovers?

IndigoPrime

Hachette is reportedly going to release them in its UC. No idea about Rebellion. As I recall, reboot Red only got a digital release.

Barrington Boots

That cover is fantastic. It's been on my coffee table since Saturday and it's so eyecatching.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

Rogue is still top of the pile for me.  I'm a sucker for great dialogue, and current-day Garth's is perfect.  And nobody's mentioned Guinness, the Pogues, Unforgiven, the Troubles or toilets at all - he's come a long way.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"