Main Menu

Prog 2339 - Mob Blitz!

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 July, 2023, 11:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 July, 2023, 11:34:34 AMIts Saturday morning. All the family are out and you have your Saturday chores done already. You then notice the postie has been and the Prog has arrived as a cuppa is brewing. As you pick up the Prog you see the back page - the stories have spread to the outside cover - so you see through the thin clear plastic.

Caption: Marie Antionaut

"LET THEM EAT QUAKE."

And you know you are a very lucky boy who just happens to read the best comic in the Galaxy!

Openned and quickly devoured the front cover is a lovely, if typical Dredd image I'm sure we'll see here soon.

Dredd itself is pretty good fun as we continue to skirt around the wonky central premise of the story.

Rogue Trooper ends brilliantly horribly. The exchange between Rogue and the biochips possibly the most chilling thing in this brutal story. So grimly powerful. I'm going to call this now and beg forgiveness of Cinnabar fans. BEST ROGUE TROOPER STORY EVER! Maybe I should read Cinnabar again, but even if its as good it doesn't have the ace card of Patrick Goddard on art. So I'm 94% this one is going to win. Just superb comics.

Void Runners is glorious trippy and glows with psychodelic imagination. Perfect for Boo Cook's art and a delight.

Future Shock - so whether these weeks Prog holds up to the superb levels of last week's hangs on a Future Shock being anywhere near as strong as the wonderful Durham Red which ended last week. The odds seemed very slim... but it was a blinder. Amazing art by Jimmy Broxton and a fantastic shock, a great example of the from from Elizabeth Sandifer. I mean sure the retired classic picture serial hero and villain trope has been seen many times before and may seem playe out. But its rarely been done as well as this and its an absolute winner.

Azimuth continues to be just fantastic stuff and a perfect example of what Dabnett does best playful fun disguising some great ideas and themes very deftly. Wonderful.

So yeah despite the swop out of Durham Red for a Future Shock I'd dare to say this issue matches up with last weeks superb issue. I'd even go as far as to say the quality of the ending to Rogue means this Prog might even be better.

We are all very lucky Squaxx dek Thargo indeed whenever and however we get to read this.

wot'esaid ^^^^
DDT did a job on me

norton canes

Yeah, all good this week. Great wrap for Rogue, and liking the cinematic split-narrative technique in 'ITEOMUD'. Nice Future Shock too - always prefer the endings when they're creepy rather than relying on a corny twist.

Grush

Excellent run of 2000AD lately. Really enjoying both of the new Thrills, with VoidRunners continuing to be the pick of the bunch for me. Art is just fantastic from Boo Cook and the script combines strangeness and humour so well. Azimuth also entertaining and intriguing, with great world-building and wordplay. I notice the normal credit card, rather than the eagle one this week.

The Dredd story also very good. Not sure that the (rather silly) psychic link to Dredd's location has had any actual bearing on the plot. I think this is the first non-Vex art I have seen from Jake Lynch and it is top notch.

Rogue wound up well, happy to see more (with or without the potty mouth). Never really enjoyed Future Shocks and this one does nothing to change my mind.

Portals and Black Goo next prog – I'm intrigued.