Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

See, the Williams sisters is what I thought of first, but Michelle and Julia Chang would be more interesting.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

See, Virtua Fighter has both the least horrifying incest (Sarah and Jacky) and the most horrifying (Pai and Lau). Or maybe even Kage and Dural.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 January, 2012, 12:54:56 PM
Out of curiosity, would this extended cut have more of the woman that started the virus (Kripps?) because I swear the photo they showed was Emma Thompson - and it would make sense if she actually had a bigger part in the film.

No, it doesn't, it just re-arranges/extends some scenes, and the ending is somewhat different, as Will Smith [spoiler][spoiler]doesn't sacrifice himself, but leaves the city with the girl and her son, and they drive away from the city over the bridge[/spoiler], and that's it, no last human colony[/spoiler] like in the studio-mandated theatrical version...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Roger Godpleton

I am watching Justified season 2. I am looking forward to the new season which starts in two weeks. Timothy Olyphant is an attractive young man.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Professah Byah on 04 January, 2012, 11:19:15 PM
Like most men, I like lesbians because I think I might get to join in, it's just the incest stuff in Tekken that loses me.

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 04 January, 2012, 09:53:27 PMHow much of a resemblance to their digital counterparts do "Nina" and "Anna" bear? I have a friend who is very eager to know this.

Serious question: are they CGI?

Greg M.

The Gorgon (1964)

Hammer. Bray Studios. Terence Fisher. Peter Cushing. Christopher Lee (from around the halfway mark onwards.) Scenes of gorgon-induced petrification. What more could you want from a film? Not one of the more frequently championed Hammer movies, but standing strong in my view alongside The Plague of the Zombies and The Reptile, the latter of which seems the closest touchstone. Fisher's command of atmosphere is masterful throughout, and it's hard to fault the fatalistic grimness which seems to consume the plot. Loved it, not least 'cos since I was a kid, the idea of things being turned to stone seemed unfeasibly exciting (you can imagine the impact of Clash of the Titans on me.)

Tiplodocus

SUPER 8
Had me hooked from the very opening shot. Fantastic stuff.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Radbacker

Attack the Block, smart movie really went from activly disliking the scum to going for them.  Even felt sympathy towards the end[spoiler] when its revealled Moses is 15[/spoiler] good moment, like the alien design kinda Critters crossed Space Invaders (they really look like the art off the Old Space Invaders cabinet).
Also watched Final Destination 5 today, good clean gory fun, I quite like the final destination movies I like the whole death is  inevitable angle and the stalks and kills are very inventive with in its genre.  Also nice little twist at the end [spoiler]oh look its really Final Destination 0! boom plane crash[/spoiler].

CU Radbacker

Davek

Watched 3 films in the last couple of days which is pretty unusual for me:

Jonah Hex - not familiar with the comic but quite enjoyed this.  Like the speaking to the dead feature and Malkovich was good, but not overly on the script.  Not sure if it has happened in the comic but would prefer a more supernatural plot line e.g. battling the undead

Let Me In - havent watched the Swedish original so went into this with no preconceptions (but probably expected this as a US remix to be too flashy).  I did enjoy it but felt it went downhill a little towards the end, and was surprised to find it had such good reviews from when it was released.

The American Best of the 3 I watched - Clooney was great, lovely setting, it felt like a high brow Bourne film.  Slightly disappointed with the ending but you cant have everything.

radiator

Was hanging out with some friends last night, and as I arrived late didn't get any input on what films would be watched, so these are films that I would never have chosen to watch myself in a million years.

The Expendables: Rubbish. Fails even as brainless action movie, or throwback/homage to 1980s action movies (which I like). Absolutely terrible script and incoherent story, with dreadful acting and mumbled, unintelligible dialogue. They couldn't even manage to write any decent cheesy Arnie-style one-liners - "Remember me at Christmas". Unbearably dull stretches between the acton set pieces, and a colour palette so 'Teal and Orange' it nearly made my eyes bleed. Wank.

Drive Angry: Hard to criticise because it very obviously knows it is rubbish, but still pretty offensively bad. Some of the very worst visual effects and compositing I've seen in a contemporary mainstream movie (massive white halos around characters who look like they've been comped into the same shot from different takes). Just about rendered watchable by William Fichtner's performance and some other funny bits, but not something I'd ever watch again. It brought Preacher to mind due to several similarities in the story and tone - I really hope that property never makes it to screen.

I came to the conclusion that though I love action movies, I've only really got time for those that have something else going for them besides the action. Life's too short for 99% of them.

Richmond Clements

QuoteThe Expendables: Rubbish.
Very poor, wasn't it?
Also worth pointing out that of the three female 'characters', one was a prostitute that Rourke could not remember the name of, and the other two were victims of domestic violence.
Classy.

radiator

QuoteAlso worth pointing out that of the three female 'characters', one was a prostitute that Rourke could not remember the name of, and the other two were victims of domestic violence.
Classy.

I also got a laugh out of Jason Statham's sub-plot (which btw was totally superfluous and went nowhere), in the way that his love interest went from one violent thug to another - the irony of the situation was apparently lost on the filmmakers.

Speaking of Rourke, why get him to appear in the film if all he's going to do is smoke a pipe and cry like a big girl?

And why call your film 'The Expendables' if you don't have the balls to actually kill any of your characters?

We had to put the subtitles on because we couldn't hear what any of the characters were saying, and at one point, one of the them, during a gunfight, remarks "Your lucky ring stinks!". God knows what that was about, but we got a big laugh out of it.

This could have been a fun movie if it had been a bit self aware, didn't take itself so seriously, and made use of it's own premise - aging soldiers coming together to relive their glory days on one last suicide mission, but it was a total misfire from the off.

Just depressing.

Buttonman

Saw 'Final Destination 5' which was exactly what I expected and that's no complaint. Why they needed to tack on the black cop's detection anngle and the spooky coroner I don't know but the 'mousetrap' stryle set ups are fun and although some of the splats looked a bit CGI it was good fun.

Also saw 'Kill List' which I enjoyed especially after I read some more informed opinions and had it explained for me. Lots lof clues about [spoiler]"Cat brings me rabbits" - then Tyres off 'Spaced' brings him rabbits![/spoiler] and smart enough to not spell it out. Always enjoy these sinister society films.

'The Expendables' was shit but I think that was pretty obvious from the off - if you are looking for strong female characters I think Dolph, Sly and Jason on the cast list may offer some clues as to the content.

Roger Godpleton

The Expendables is the male equivalent of the Sex and the City movies.