Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Three fun movies there, Hawk. Even the Millar is enjoyable, if all over the place.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 01 June, 2016, 10:50:49 PM
Three fun movies there, Hawk. Even the Millar is enjoyable, if all over the place.
And a very enjoyable night it was too! Kick-Ass is still pish but I was quite inebriated by that point so had a laugh anyway. Batman '66 is as delightful as ever. Rag in about the hammy nature all you will but it's completely earnest and all in good nature, and unlike a certain other Batman film I could name didn't drive me to drink because of how god awful it was, I was drinking already!

Mystery Men was the remarkable stand out, an absolute blast from begining to end. Cheesy, camp, more than a little dated but without doub't a 3D vision of Burdens creation. The cast is on fire, Stiller comes across as a lovely bloke irregardless of weather you find hom funny or not, whilst Azaria, Macy, Garofalo, and the ever likeable Wes Studi all stand out. It's also at times brow raisingly hilarious. The car jacking scene had me in floods of tears, and it just wouldn't stop!

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 June, 2016, 05:48:51 PM

Mystery Men was the remarkable stand out, an absolute blast from begining to end. Cheesy, camp, more than a little dated but without doub't a 3D vision of Burdens creation. The cast is on fire, Stiller comes across as a lovely bloke irregardless of weather you find hom funny or not, whilst Azaria, Macy, Garofalo, and the ever likeable Wes Studi all stand out. It's also at times brow raisingly hilarious. The car jacking scene had me in floods of tears, and it just wouldn't stop!

Fantastic movie.

Not seen it in years, but i'm always a little thrown when Michael Bay pops up in it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rately on 03 June, 2016, 10:20:27 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 June, 2016, 05:48:51 PM

Fantastic movie.

Not seen it in years, but i'm always a little thrown when Michael Bay pops up in it.

Yep I've raved about this glorious movies many a time here. Wonderful stuff.

Hawkmumbler

I am somewhat baffled, however, by just HOW it's a adaptation of The Flamming Carrot...without da' Carrot. Where any of the characters in Mystery Men side characters in Carrot comics, I wonder?

Colin YNWA

Yeah the Mystery Men appeared in Flaming Carrot a long time before the movie.

I've not read the story for a long time BUT I seem to recall it goes something like this.

Film starts as a Flaming Carrot movie, but producers (Studio?) somebody got nervous about making a film with a man with a carrot on his head as the led.

So Mystery Men are drafted in as more down to earth etc etc and Flaming Carrot will fill a role similar to that played by Captain Amazing (though its a little hard to imagine the exact nature of that). Producers, studio get a nervous about making a film with a man with a carrot on his head as the co-star.

Mystery Men take over film and Flaming Carrot to be a cameo. Producers, studio get a nervous about making a film with a man with a carrot on his head in it at all.

Flaming Carrot removed altogether.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing BUT still love the Mystery Men film.

CrazyFoxMachine

Wonder if it's time to give Mystery Men another shot, I used to own it years ago but decided I didn't like it so ditched it. I loved how weird it all was but I seem to recall there's literally a point when it goes bad, towards that forced Hollywood climax I think but some of the ideas were interesting. Greg Kinnear's cynical corporate superhero was a highlight - it remains a 90s curio for sure.

I don't know if you'd strictly call it a film but I watched RTD's A Midsummer Nights Dream yesterday. Having been stunned by his very human Cucumber/Banana series last year it's a trifle jarring to see him back to his bright 'n' soapy sci fi style. Shakespeare's play is moved to an alternate near-future fascist Athens and there is much faerie frolicking and nonsense. Murray Gold contributes a cringingly OTT score (and like in Who it sometimes blots out the dialogue). Some good performances (marvel as Matt Lucas somehow manages to channel both Steptoe AND Son) but it somehow feels exceedingly dated and at times looks quite, quite cheap. Definitely unique and memorable, but not entirely in a good way.

Michael Knight

Watched an alien abduction movie called 'The Return' starring Jan Michael Vincent, Cybill Shepherd and Martin Landau. A young Cybill Sheppard was about the best thing in it.   :)

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 June, 2016, 10:13:16 PM
Not sure if that's a good or bad thing...

At least it's a very Flaming Carrot thing.

Hawkmumbler

Welp, 88Films and Arrow Video keep rolling out the Italian goods! Live like a Cop Die Like a Man is directed by notorious Rogero 'Cannibal Holocaust' Deodato. As a response to the success of Dirty Harry in the west, it's remarkably un-Eastwoody instead opting for two gay cop partners in denial taking on various situations that the daily grind at the Rome Police Department. At times gruesome, at times insidious, at others utterly ludicrous it's actually a rather entertaining series of actin set pieces despite being utter trash.

Arrow's "Death Walks Twice" boxset brings us two of Luciano Ercoli's lesser known gialli, Death Walks on High Heels is a thoroughly entertaining and a visual feast of a murder mystery, with a winderfully niche 70's pop score to seal the deal it's probably one of the better B-list giallo on the market. It's follow up Death Walks at Midnight is a respectable follow up, and an interesting quasi-sequel. It shares several supporting characters and thus can be considered a rare instance of gialli continuity, and is a worthy follow up to 'On Heels'. A cracking boxset by Arrow as well, loads of lovely extras.

Michael Knight

Just got round to watching 'Cobra' with Sylvester Stallone in its entirety. Typical '80's' Cannon movie! Whats not to love!  :lol:
Apparently the director of 'Drive' is a big fan of this movie!

Hawkmumbler

Django Unchained. Partially inspired by Colin having watched it recently, it really is as superb as I remembered. A modern classic western (southern?) with a top notch cast.

But thats not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about this scene. On first viewing, it just struck me as another quircky little scene, as is Tarantino's way. But after having recently watched the original 1966 Django, it hit me why this was such as great scene. That guys Franco Nero. The original Django. Classic. :D

M.I.K.

The original and possibly soon to be current Django.

Michael Knight

I really need to get round to watch the Old and New Django films. Im a massive western fan having grown up watching them with my late Dad, but the Django series whilst being aware of them has passed me by. :)

Theblazeuk

If you a western fan, I hope you caught Open Range by now. Less heralded than Dances With Wolves or the classics like Unforgiven, but bloody good. Still need to catch Bone Tomahawk :)