Main Menu

Prog 2203: Order and rule

Started by The Monarch, 12 October, 2020, 11:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: norton canes on 15 October, 2020, 12:21:00 PMFinally Hookjaw continues to impress despite - or hey, maybe because - it still doesn't seem to know quite what it's trying to do.

I know what you mean - it's kind of a slow burner where things occasionally speed up and go mental.  If it turns out that it's a shark / [spoiler]polar bear hybrid[/spoiler] I'll be fairly disappointed I have to say.  ([spoiler]Sharko[/spoiler]?)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Tiernan's work this week is astonishing, like the blessèd offspring of Kev O'Neill and P. Craig Russell. It feels like one of those moments when an artist you really like suddenly  transcends every standard they've previously set (think McMahon on Sláine, Marshall on Firekind, or PJ on Dead Signal). Magic stuff to witness.

Others have cited Tarzan as an element of this week's Fiends,  I was more in mind of the Wolf Child of Hesse, or even Victor of Averyon, but I can see it. My top thrill this week anyway.

Carry the Nine
ends in an unexpected way, but I'm glad Maitland survived, and it's good to see Williams laying new crumbs after a phase of wrapping up stories. Boo's art was terrific throughout: never rated him as a Dredd artist before, definitely do now.

Hookjaw is still as intriguing as ever, that boy Worley can write OTT horror.

Stickleback was a bit predictable, but looked truly great.

And finally, I enjoyed Skip Tracer. You heard me.

Richard

We heard you, but we're embarrassed to be seen with you in public.

Woolly

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 October, 2020, 01:09:33 PM
Tiernan's work this week is astonishing, like the blessèd offspring of Kev O'Neill and P. Craig Russell. It feels like one of those moments when an artist you really like suddenly  transcends every standard they've previously set (think McMahon on Sláine, Marshall on Firekind, or PJ on Dead Signal). Magic stuff to witness.

Couldn't agree more, a wonderful assessment of the Trevallion Droid's skills (amongst others!)
One of those droids that makes you feel lucky to see their work  :thumbsup:

Magnetica

Quote from: norton canes on 15 October, 2020, 12:21:00 PM
Didn't Grant Morrison create a white-suited villain named Orlando?

It's Dr Orlando Doyle, who first appeared in The Red Seas, another Edginton strip.

Magnetica

The bloke called Orlando that is. The chap in the white suit is someone else.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 October, 2020, 08:32:06 AM
The chap in the white suit is someone else.

The Ophidian — the Sisters' henchman. He's introduced on the last page of the first episode.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes

Right. Thanks, both. I clearly need to invest a little more attention in this.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 October, 2020, 10:06:15 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 17 October, 2020, 08:32:06 AM
The chap in the white suit is someone else.

The Ophidian — the Sisters' henchman. He's introduced on the last page of the first episode.

He first appeared in the third book of Stickleback (London's Burning) and returned in the fifth (Thru'penny Opera).
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 October, 2020, 02:10:38 PM
He first appeared in the third book of Stickleback (London's Burning) and returned in the fifth (Thru'penny Opera).

I know he's a recurring character, but I figured it was a bit of a stretch asking people to remember him from 6+ years ago! By "introduced" I only meant that he's referred to by name.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Yep,  I'm a huge fan of Stickleback, but I had to jog those memory circuits pretty hard when this series started.  We still haven't really been told much about the Ophidian this time out.

73north

enjoyed this week Prog - which arrived very late , on Thursday
so all in all , very enjoyable -
and above all , VERY IMPRESSED with Skip Tracer -
this episode series is fantastic - and the Bodyguard is convincing
( at long last ) - rest of Prog , I also found very good