Main Menu

Donnie Darko backlash

Started by Mr D, 17 August, 2004, 07:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr D

I just posted to a thread about Harvey, one of my all time favourite movies.

I took the time to go to IMDB and see how it was rated and just, y'know, look.

The message board there is FILLED with people saying things like 'If Harvey hadn't been made, Donnie Darko wouldn't exist. And it's a fucking stupid film'.

It gets to the point where people actualy have to begin posts with phrases like 'Well I hate Donnie Darko as much as the next man, but...' just to be taken seriously.

I liked it. Great little gem of a film. I also like Harvey. I'm not stupid enough to think that because a kid was in a rabbit costume in DD it relied entirely on the existance of Harvey.

Why do people have to be like this?? Am I just being delusional? Why does everyone suddenly have to HATE a film just because they LOVED it at first?

More to the point...

What the HELL is wrong with posters on IMDB??? EVERY film board makes me want to break faces.

Steamboy

strange thing that isn't it Dribs, one minute a movie and movie maker are absolute genius a year later everyone's trying to tear em down, we call it Tall Poppy Syndrome. Haven't seen Harvey but Donnie Darko is one of my all time fav movies, only problem with it is it requires the commentary to fully understand but thats set to be rectified with the new Directors cut coming out this year.

"Donnie Darko, what's that some kind of super hero name"

CU Krestel

Woolly

I allways thought that one of the endearing aspects of Donnie Darko was that you could never tell precisely what the plot was. That is, you could have a good idea about whats really happening, but you'll never have it absolutely confirmed in a regular cinematic way.

Gives film buffs an excuse to 'discuss' (ie. argue about) the film for years!!

All in all, im looking forward to the new version, but im not sure that we really need it.

Mr C

The IMDB boards are full of trolls and argumentative sods.

Harvey's a great film, one of my guilty pleasures alongside On The Town.

therev

Hmmm..I've noticed posters on IMDB are a tad...OTT but then I think their American and possibly Magnolia fans.
"Fuck Donnie Darko, fuck him up his stupid ass"*

*with apolgies to Kevin Smith fan's.

IndigoPrime

People want everything on a plate nowadays, and want security rather than reassurance. Several American reviews criticised Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind because of the "sci-fi" elements in the script (it wasn't "straightforward" enough) and because of Carrey's understated performance (which was one of the highlights of the film, but there you go).

People would rather have guaranteed mediocrity rather than run the risk of experiencing something poor. This is in all walks of life - after all, it explains the success of fast food chains.

Art

Yeah, but I *love* weird ambiguous movies, and I still think Donnie Darko was a con.

Steamboy

didn't find it a con at all, last thing I expected was for it to turn into a
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
comic book movie, how cool was the whole Temporal Warrior Idea?

CU Krestel

Mr C

Yeah! I was hoping he'd trun into a Mytic Time Warrior as well! I read too many comics.

That would have made th efil rock. Imagine him using bullet Time and manipulating the temproal force to shift between spaces! It would've been great!

IndigoPrime

Art

uh-oh, here we go again...

In the way that it's basically a time-loop story that would be a yawn inducer in ST:TNG dressed up with a bunch of hokum to make it look "significant", with an ending that negates everything that?s happened withoin the film making it all completely pointless.

Tiplodocus

I only saw this for the first time recently and I remember thinking it was OK but couldn't understand the fuss. It was riddled with a bit too much teen-gothy death angst for my liking.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Conexus

Yeah, I bought the Dvd after all the hype and well, I was destinctly underwhelmed. Got the Dvd on the cheap, though - so can't really complain too much

Richmond Clements

Like the last couple of posters, I saw it for the first time recently.
Maybe I was just too built up about how good it was going to be... but it was alright.
Well made and acted, but to me, nothing more than a Future Shock.

paulvonscott

"Why do people have to be like this?? Am I just being delusional? Why does everyone suddenly have to HATE a film just because they LOVED it at first?"

Even things you like can irritate you after a while.  But hey, who cares, it doesn't spoil you're enjoyment surely?  I enjoyed it, I'd like to see it again.

My only criticism was the way the film was presented via the poster and video cover.  Poor marketing which must have alienated lots of people who would othwerwise have seen the movie.  It looked like some really shit horror movie.