1406- Return to Life!

Started by ukdane, 06 September, 2004, 02:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrillpowerseeker

Dudley

Yeah, I pressed post, noticed that, and thought "I hope no-one spots that."

thrillpowerseeker

petemaskreplica

Apart from Dredd, I liked everything, I loved the way Stront managed to get in some good funny lines without compromising the overall more serious tone of the tale. And Boo's art was great on Asylum, it seems to be developing a grittier edge, and the close ups of the guy's eyes on the last page were wonderfully expressive.

I dunno about the art on Dredd, there were elements I liked about it, but I wasn't convinced by some of the page layouts, there seemed to be a bit too much dead space for my liking. Story itself really wasn't very good, thank goodness Robo Hunter's in there to show us Alan Grant can do it just as well as he ever has. And Cabs continues to be fun, personally I have no problem with having a straightforward romp as a change of pace from previous runs. I get a feeling the characters are quite glad about that as well, it's an excuse for them not to face up to the fucked-up relationship they have with each other now. And I don't think it can be said too often: Dom is just bloody brilliant.

Dudley

Dredd, page 1, the panel where he's holding the burger.

Try getting into that pose (note that it's his thumb you can see, and note that the torch is quite long).  Wierd, isn't it?

Slippery PD

Been remarkably underwhelmed by the last three or four progs.  But Ill try and review....

Dredd - for the first time in ages I cant bring myself to struggle through a story and its a Dredd.  Ill probably get there by the end of the week, art is murky dark and yuck.  Story is rotten.  Roll on Total War

Robohunter - made me smile, its difficult to give a good review after one episode ( a rule I break later on).  But its pleasing enough

Cabals - Fantastic romp and Dons Art is just perfect

Asylum 2 - oooh I really like Boos grittier art.  Once again a first episode setting up characters and plot.  

Strontium Dog - Bloody brilliant.  You see I just broke my rule above.

Droids Life - good laugh.

Slips

Art

Asylum looks great and all, but I kind of liked Boos other art style better. Does this make me a bad person?

Oddboy

Only if I'm a bad person too Art - that was what I thought.
Better set your phaser to stun.

House of Usher

Prog 1406 - still a day away for me! *sigh*
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

Come on guys Dredd wasn't that bad, was it? I loved the axe in his helmet,
 every thing else in this issue was ine by me, as said above Boo Cook's artwork is fabby, what a relief from trying to spot the character against the dreadedCG background colouring that is insidiously taking over the prog.

All hail the mighty Tharg!

The future's bright the future's green!( with a telephone dial on its forehead)

Huff
DDT did a job on me

NikolaiDante

Yo! Sorry I been away but you know how it is, busy busy!

Anyway, my 2ps worth on this week's Prog

Been remarkably underwhelmed by the last three or four progs. But Ill try and review....

Dredd - Interesting art I thought and then began to wonder, "Where's the story?". 5 pages of slash'em and hack'em and what for? A piss-poor joke at the end. Considering this was supposed to be a scouser Zombie they could have played it better. It couldn't make up its mind whether to be  a horror, comedy, slasher story and ended up being     a pileofshit story. 2 out of 10 and that's only because I like the art droid (to misquote HHGTTG)

Robohunter - ALways a soft spot for Slade. Bisley's art is always pleasant to the eye and since 99% of Slade stories are played for laughs, I'm looking forward to part 2.

Cabals - Hate to say this, never really been fussed by Cabals so I don't bother reading it.

Asylum 2 - Nice setup, daft thing is I can't remember Asylum 1! So I think I need to do some back reading to put the strip in context, but what I read I liked.

Strontium Dog - Looks like a good setup for a really gritty story. Carlos IS Strontium Dog and no-one else should be allowed to draw him.

Droids Life - I think the clever thing here is that there are 4 panels and that one where the eraser is flicked made be laugh. This is comic strip at it's finest - a lot in a small space

Dante

Support FUTUREQUAKE - it makes sense

Smiley

Dredd = Yerwha-jyerwonnago-jewyer?
Cabs = Azapound!
Robo = Fabwhacky!
Asylum = Eerm eerm eerm.
Stront = Egzacklee!

Overall = Cum-ed-den!

Trout

Keef Monkey

Thought the art on Dredd was great but the story sucked, Caballistics indulges my love for girls with guns, Robo Hunter is shaping up to being really entertaining and Strontium Dogs looks like it's gonna be the best one in years. Very intrigued to see how Aylum turns out because I loved the first story and was surprised at how different the art was. Looks like Cook's going for a grittier, less cartoony look which may mean the stoy's going to be darker. Intrigued indeed.

penelopecat

What can I say that hasn't been said?  Except that I was kind of let down by Robo-Hunter, I reluctantly confess.  I think I was hoping for a more standard Samantha-Slade-has-an-adventure story, something to help the new version of the strip establish its own identity.  Continuing the quest for Sam's body just keeps it too reliant on the past for my tastes.

Of course, that's just more a case of the story conflicting with my expectations, rather than it being weak.  (As opposed to this week's Dredd story.  Or this *weak's* Dredd story...)  And anything with Ian Gibson art is going to get high marks in my opinion, regardless...