Main Menu

Favourite Artist - Rounds 1 done so that must mean...

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 November, 2020, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I'm never clear about my feelings regarding Bolland. Yes, of course, incredible unprecedented artwork that defined so much about Dredd, probably a big part of what established him in the wider public consciousness, but (perhaps because he was no longer drawing for the prog when I eventually crawled aboard the SS Betelgeuse) his stuff has always felt like some kind of great classical edifice: so much to admire in its order and proportions, its timeless expression of the workings of light and perspective. But for me, always somehow austere, even static (although not to suggest that his stripwork doesn't convey movement or action, it does).

You could never say that about the other gods of that golden-age Dredd pantheon, like McMahon, or Ron Smith, whose art was always on the move, plastic and... shouty. Bagwell was marrying that Bolland realism to the kind of fluidity and fun that those other guys brought, translating John Smith Crazy into a 'real' world. I'd so much like to see where he would have taken that.

AlexF

I think you've nailed Tharg's shortlist for people to include in whatever 'Best of the Golden Age' collection is due to come up next from teh reprint department!

Saddest omission for me is John Ridgway.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 November, 2020, 09:16:48 AM
I'm never clear about my feelings regarding Bolland. Yes, of course, incredible unprecedented artwork that defined so much about Dredd, probably a big part of what established him in the wider public consciousness, but (perhaps because he was no longer drawing for the prog when I eventually crawled aboard the SS Betelgeuse) his stuff has always felt like some kind of great classical edifice: so much to admire in its order and proportions, its timeless expression of the workings of light and perspective. But for me, always somehow austere, even static (although not to suggest that his stripwork doesn't convey movement or action, it does).

You could never say that about the other gods of that golden-age Dredd pantheon, like McMahon, or Ron Smith, whose art was always on the move, plastic and... shouty. Bagwell was marrying that Bolland realism to the kind of fluidity and fun that those other guys brought, translating John Smith Crazy into a 'real' world. I'd so much like to see where he would have taken that.

I get what you mean. Bolland's art is like chips in a restaurant. It's clean and refined, but sometimes you want a greasy bag with too much salt & vinegar and wee crispy bits.
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

Over at the Current side we have a list that is just as strong

Mark Harrison
David Taylor
Lee Carter
Henry Flint
Steve Yeowell
Leigh Gallagher
Chris Weston
Colin MacNeil
Simon Coleby
D'Israeli
Cliff Robinson
Patrick Goddard
Brendan McCarthy
Simon Fraser
Simon Davis
Phil Winslade

Again I reflect on the strength of the talent working. Here though I can think of three in particular who I would have in this list in almost any circumstance who are out now INJ Culbard, John Burns and PJ Holden. Who are the biggest names missing for you?

DrJomster

In addition to your extra three, who are all great artists... Dom Reardon. I adore his work on the Caballistics universe.

I'm already hoping for a better draw for him in the first round the next time this competition runs!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

TordelBack

Richard Elson and PJ are the gaping holes for me: they feel absolutely integral to the 21st C prog. However, absences on the Current droids 2nd Round list are somehow easier to take. No-one could feel bad about being in any group that includes Culbard, Googe, Cornwell, Holden, Burns, Richardson, Elson, Reardon etc etc etc. It's a bloody embarrassment of riches we have these days.