Started by Trout, 09 July, 2004, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Spoilers, everyone!

you

have

been

warned

I honestly didn't think I'd give a shit, but the death of Sue Dibny was well-handled stuff.

Is this the most emotive moment in recent US comics?

It was better-written and sadder than the death of Supergirl.

Anyone else reading Identity Crisis?

- Trout

Conexus

Okay: Conexus is the name of a superhero me and my artist brother came up with. It's about this scientist guy who gets impregnated by a symbiote, which gradualy changes him - statring out he becomes all muscular and more intelligent and ends up with pointy eyes (better hearing) large eyes (night vision) and a bald head and blue skin (err, coz it looked cool) He wears a slightly modified blue street camo army uniform, and initialy to protect his identity he wears black contacts and a bandana over his mouth. We never really worked out why he turned vigilanty and apart from the gradual change I think it's just a cheap rip off of Spider man as I look at it now. My brother liked it , but he's a Marvel fan so there's no accounting for taste. Oh yeah he's called Conexus coz that's latin for joined (he and the symbiote are joined, geddit?)    

Dudley

House of Usher

I thought Identity Crisis #1 was a quality read, and I agree that the murder of Sue Dibny was well-handled. I thought it was a bit cynical; after all, what harm did she ever do anyone? But I was surprised at how quickly I got used to it.

I look forward to finding out what the conspiratorial heroes did that was so bad (and what it all has to do with Dr. Light).
STRIKE !!!

Grant Goggans

Issue 1 was the most entertaining superhero comic I've read in years.  Issue 2's out in five days and I can't wait!

--Grant

DavidXBrunt

Short term shock tactic though. Sue and Ralph were practically unique in comics terms. And now they're gone. Plus the ripple effect has meant that 'I can't believe it's not the Justice League' has been knocked out by 6 months and may be out of continuity. So we lose the return of Ice as well. Buggeration.

Anyway, Doc Lights first appearance seems to be the one referred to. But I reckon it's likely to be Prometheus behind it all. Seems about right to me.

Bico

I flicked through this, and ended up buying it but never reading it.  I'll hoke it out, but it better not just be 'second string super-hero group unite after a death to expose conspiracy' nonsense again, because Watchmen was good, but having some yank try to top it every two years in one form or another is getting a bit played out.

Pyroxian

JimBob

It was an excellent opener, I always liked the Dibneys in JLE they had that thin man vibe you don;t get anywhere else, where marriage looked fun. Now -sniff- it's all over.
 Still looking forward to the next one,

Jim -who didn;t cry for Jean Grey but had a lip wobble for poor Sue and Ralph

Bolt-01

Not read american comics regularly for years, and am genuinely saddened by this, I always liked Sue and Ralph, and they (in the stories I remember) seemed to be a really solid unit.

Hope the death is more than just a cheap shot to get some fan-boy reaction.

Bolt-01

The Monarch

R.I.P Sue :(

The funeral was well handed though and nice seeing some of the major characters from Star-man in the background

JamieB

Following the last appearance of Prometheus in Morrison's JLA run, I think the chances of him masterminding anything more complicated than going number two are unlikely.

I was disappointed that it was Sue, smacks a little of women-in-refridgerators time to me*.

J-Bo-1

Link: http://www.the-pantheon.net/wir/" target="_blank">*Women in Refridgerators

The Monarch

and if the rumours are true firehawk is going to be joining sue...

House of Usher

Prometheus has turned up again recently in Batman: Gotham Nights. Even in that, he seemed a bit crap, and comes over more as a hired hand than as a potential criminal mastermind. Presumably he hadn't downloaded any data on how to deal with Green Arrow.

Poor Sue. By rights I should be disgusted, but like I said, I got over it very quickly.
STRIKE !!!

The Monarch