Main Menu

Doctor Who Magazine: The Flood (new comic strip)

Started by Goosegash, 23 July, 2004, 05:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

Great final-page twist in this month's DWM strip. I love it when they pull a genuine surprise out of the bag(the death of Ace, the Daleks in "Children Of The Revolution" etc). But this time, it's...

...Really creepy-looking anorexic Cybermen! Hooray!

DavidXBrunt

Bloody good episode in a bloody good issue. Just read it for the second time and it's a very good script with equally good art. I look forwards to finding out how this plays out. I don't think it's going to go well for the Doctor. I'll miss this version. End of an era, folks.

The Doctor Who comic people are the best kept secret in British comics. I'm stunned that they've not had anything in 2k or the Meg. Alan, it wouldn't be nepotism if you commisioned them, they are bloody good.

So many great moments over the 8th Doctors run as a sequential storytelling character. To mention a couple you missed - the regeneration, the waking from a dream, and the goodbye kiss from Izzy.

Interested in R.T.D.'s comic strip intro for the 9th.

paulvonscott

If there was a dedicated doctor who comic, I'd probably buy it.  

I can't bring myself to buy Dr Who Mag, despite being a big fan of the show, so I'm probably missing out on some good stuff.

Do you know if the mag will be going a bit more mainstream with the new series coming out?

I must admit if RTD is doing a comic strip for the new series, I'll have a peek in Smiths.

ARRISARRIS

...yes, the surprise was great, just what we need for the new series itself, wonder if were get to see updated versions of the Cybermats in this comic strip...

Priv8eye

I'm with PVS on this one.  I'd love to read a lot more comic Who, but I'm not dedicated enough to read the rest of it.

I did notice a good while back that they featured the return of (shit i forgot his name), the cyberman with feelings, but couldn't get long enough in the shop to read it all.

Dunk!

What are the artists on the strips like?

Any 2000ad regulars?
"Trust we"

Goosegash

Uh...Roger Langridge and Adrian Salmon are currently on lettering/colouring duties, although they have contributed the odd strip. Anthony Williams drew a three-parter earlier this year, "The Curse of Spring-Heeled Jack".

In the recent past, Dan Abnett has been a contributor and John Ridgeway was the main artist on the strip from about 86-94(some great work that deserves to be collected, I reckon). I'm sure there are others.

DavidXBrunt

Mike Collins recently drew a Who meets Roy of the Rovers strip that was good fun. I believe he swapped a page of the art for one of Dom Reardons.

The mainstay artist of the Doctor Who comic for the last decade has been the phenomenal Martin Geraghty. I remember being really impressed with his art on the 2nd Doctor tale 'Ka Faraq Gatri' from a DWm special sometime around 1993 and he's just got better over the years.

If, as the rumour implies, after they've reprinted the early 4th Doctor strips then they're going to move onto the 8th Doctor tales in book form then I highly recommend them. The only word that does them justice is EPIC.

petemaskreplica

I can't express how excited I am that those McMahon drawn Baker strips are going to be reprinted. I remember seeing them first time round and thinking (as many must have) "his feet's too big!" Thank the lord I've gained a proper understanding of what makes good comic art since then. :)

DavidXBrunt

Adrian Salmon did the art chores for a witty little sequal to that story in (I think) the last of the DWm yearbooks. Completley in his own style but with an informing flavour of McMahon. Well worth checking out. Also had a Geraghty (I think) drawn sequal to the Star Beast in it.

petemaskreplica

Goosegash

paulvonscott

DavidXBrunt

Ah, Ridgeway. That's from 'The Uninvited Guest' from issue 211. The last 7th Doctor strip before the changed to a 'Missing Adventure' format. Last one until they killed Ace, of course.

And the splash page of the cybermen is great, as is all the art on this months strip. There've been a lot of great guest artists on the strip recently but Geraghty is THE 8th Doctor artist.