Main Menu

Prog 1391- Say, you want a revolution?

Started by Mr C, 24 May, 2004, 03:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr C

Starts off intriguingly enough, withthe first part about the initiation of a young Liverpudlian lout and his induction into a secret group with mysterious aims.
The second half however, is a bizarre journey into time where several threads split, twist and fold back in on themselves, although the Marquis de Sade is a delightful sight, wallowing in the decadence of modern San Fran-

Waitaminute, I think I've got muddled up somewhere...

Dudley

Don't care...want to hear more of your story...

...and this seems as appropriate a place as any to mention this great pic I saw recently...http://www.bagendinn.com/features/artwork/leggydear.jpg">

test 4 echo

how cool is this weeks cover. its the dogs bollox.

and p14, gibson on dredd. not a prog to be rushed, review to follow when theres time for a leisurely read.

WoD

Droid Life is good once again - firmly becoming a favourite this.

That's all I've got time for at the mo.

Quirkafleeg

Quick scan... great cover, Fin's Savage was better, Letter from Floyd = proper prog!

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, very god prog.

Cover - Mean and moody and nicely reflective of the tone of Savage.

Dredd - Yeah, it's okay. I suppose a story by Grant and Gibson can't fall below a certain standard but this is merely average.

Savage - Getting better as the introspection and action start to balance out. Scooty has a very familiar speech pattern, mind.

A.H.A.B. - Art work seems clearer this week, as if the brightness has been turned up. Still can't work out what A.H.A.B. is actually up to but enjoying following him.

Low Life - Best episode yet? Momentum's gathering but ominous feeling grows as to why Aimee is being targetted. Don't let it be the man who killed her mother...

Chopper - Sky surfing action a plenty, and some nice twists. Calm before the storm? Probably.

Droid Life - We've seen Dredd, now it's Sam Slade. I wan't to see Cat's take on the A.B.C. warriers next. If he dares...

Input - Floyd? Cuddle yourself? Big girls blouse.

Max Kon

bugger- didn't see this let my thread die

Mr C

Dudley-Read this, I think you'll like it.http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1563892677.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">

WoD

Dredd's a bit lame.
Savage is good.
AHAB - not sure what the motives are here, but am interested enough to want to know.
Low Life is great
Chopper - not made up me mind, need to re-read it..

Mr D

Cover - Oh hell yeah - that's the sh*t. Pulled it out of the envelope and for the first time in ages went all quivery!

Dredd - What's wrong with thi story? Something about it just didn't do anything for me, which is strange as both the Grant and Gibson roids are usually a safe bet for fantastic fun. It felt like a bit of a cheap gag? There was something I really didn't like about the cutting off of their noses, even though it was done comically... And it seemed to go nowhere really. Meh, I'm probably being unfair, but when I read the creditbox I got excited, and my expectations were mostly dashed.

Savage - Well there wasn't a single thing that really jarred for me this week, and it ran totally smoothly. Some great stuff from the 'hit-n-miss' cannon of Mr Mills, I must say. I especially liked the bit where Bill had to talk about himself and his grief in the third person... Very nicely done. And the bit where he thought they were doing drugs looked FOR A SECOND like it was Mr Mills being preach yagain, but then it messed about with my expectations and made me smile.
 I also liked the way he didn't go overboard with the sentimental dialogue - it worked far, FAR better like that. Just a quick 'Too young, too soon. See you later, Rusty' spoke volumes.
   Oh, and the ACTION dialogue was the best I've ever read from Mills. He didn't once get sucked into his frequent trap of having no confidence in the artist and describing what each and EVERY character is doing now. And the artwork was funking AMAZING!!

A.H.A.B. - Wow, this continues to impress. I get the feeling that Ahab is going to prod some serious buttock next week. Both the character and the strip. Artwork is, as ever, mindblowing, and I loved the scene where Tashtego killed the other guy - great looking!! Every time I see AHAB himself I gasp.... Great creation, both artistically and... er.... whats the word? Writingly. That'll do. :-P It's been said before so I'll just repeat it - AHAB seems to have jumped into this strip fully formed, and he's a great character.

Low Life - This just gets better and better. Deaths a plenty and each is nicely creative. I liked her getting nto the mansion, but as mentioned above, it's rather worrying that she is being targeted..... Hope there isn't a specific reason to do with her momma or anything...
   Not worth commenting on the art - it's great. Though Aimee looks really OLD in the last panel of the last page. Or is it just me?

Chopper - Ooh. The plo continues to grip me, though I'm worried about Marlon - though he was cleverer than that! Come one you melon!! Work it out ya sponge!! Loved the 'stealth surfing' parts...
    Art was brilliant. Simplbrilliant. Page 5, the wordless earring drop, made me laugh out loud. Great stuff.

Droid Life - Am I the only one sick of Droid Life? Every week it's n the prog, and every week I have to say how fantastic it is. It's flippin obvious!! There's no surprises - each one is a lol moment, so why do I have to keep reviewing it?? Oh, all right. Robo Hinter. Hehehehe, genius...

Input - Hehehe, cuddle myself.... Hehehehehe. Still the letters come about Valkyries. Generally a fantastic reaction to the new lineup.

petemaskreplica

Great prog let down by filler Dredd again shock! Who'd hav thort it, eh?

I'm bolstering my thrill circuits ready for next week :)

Capt.Zeep

I'm sorry but that Dredd was shite IMO.  Hated the stupid big noses.  Snossy-s "Drokkin" swearin' was vaguley humorous I s'pose.  Usually like the "silly" Dredds, usually like Grant and Gibson but really I thought that was rather poor.

Savage...I'm still not sure about.  Would tanks really skid uncontrollably on bars of special soap?  Somebody knows I'm sure, c'mon weapon-geeks!  And what was "This is how we loot" about?  Just pointing out that they hadn't looted?  But then wouldn't someone come along like 5 seconds later and nick all the tellies etc?

AHAB seems OK, I'm not raving about it but it reads and looks well enough.

Chopper's just OK I reckon, can't get that excited about it.

Fave thrill has to be Low Life, nice twists and turns, nice Flinty art.  And for my money (possible spoilery speculation)
I reckon "Dirty Frank"'s going to end up being behind it all.  Check out last weeks prog, the way it goes from the voice in her head to the next thing we see being Dirty Frank.  We'll see.

Max Kon

Bolt-01

That is one of the best covers, ever.

We are on a good run at the mo, aren't we (apart from this weeks Dredd which was RRRubishh!)

I've got a letter too! Yay, more cards for me!

Bolt-01

Leigh S

Alan Grants recent output (excluding McNulty) has been a bit depressing to this fair reader, what with the obvious parody Madonna/Guy Ritchie in Robohunter, followed by the Dredd Kylie/Jason and now the Osbournes thing... Throw in the crystal skull and autopilot springs to mind.  Which is a shame when the McNulty stuff has been entertaining (even with a just as obvious brigadoon parody).

Can anyone point to the last Alan Grant Dredd that really worked? I've got a sneaking suspicion that for me, the last really enjoyable Grant Dredd was "John Cassavetes is Dead"...