Main Menu

Meg 467: Brit for Duty?

Started by JohnW, 17 April, 2024, 06:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

I'm too lazy to go digging, so remind me: when did we meet Hives the robo-butler before?

(Not getting my money's worth from the Meg these days, seeing as I've already paid for the TPBs of pretty much all the material being reprinted.
Arse.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JohnCKirk

First time poster, so I can't put this in the Megazine forum. Sorry that my first post is a bit of a grumble.

I upgraded your account and merged the topics — IP

Looking at Megazine 467, there seem to be a couple of production glitches:

* pp14-15 have an article about "Time Breakers", including a link to the Zoop crowdfunding campaign. That sounded interesting, so I went to Zoop, but the campaign finished 2 weeks ago. Was this article supposed to be published in a previous issue of the Megazine? It seems like a breakdown in communication: if Chris Weston knew that the article wouldn't appear until this week, it would have made sense for him to extend the campaign. Or if Rebellion knew when the campaign was ending, why mention it afterwards?

* pp44-47 have an interview with Steve Kyte. p47 has a blank section taking up half the page, which I'd normally expect to contain artwork. Did someone forget to add it? Or is it present in the paper edition but not the digital edition?

Funt Solo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 April, 2024, 04:34:52 AM* pp14-15 have an article about "Time Breakers", including a link to the Zoop crowdfunding campaign. That sounded interesting, so I went to Zoop, but the campaign finished 2 weeks ago.

Mein Gott!

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

The meg for currently is on a bit of a low. I do see that next issue Dreadnoughts returns, so yes this at least is awesome news. The meg is still very much meh most strips are just average even Devlin. I really liked Kots take on Devlin but the last few stories just felt bland.

The Dredd story I enjoyed and did put a few smiles on my face (I needed something to laugh at since in todays age you are not allowed to challenge your work colleague to a sword duel anymore). This is one of those Dredd stories where as you read you start getting the picture of an innocent question becomes a destructive event with deaths and unnecessary arrests. Dark satire at is best.

The other highlight for me was PJ's art on Devlin. I must say that I felt this was his best work for either the prog or meg. Just brilliant but pity about the script itself.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Anyone know what's next for the reprint? The IDW well is going to soon run dry of anything good.

jrdd

Quote from: JohnCKirk on 18 April, 2024, 12:20:21 AM* pp44-47 have an interview with Steve Kyte. p47 has a blank section taking up half the page, which I'd normally expect to contain artwork. Did someone forget to add it? Or is it present in the paper edition but not the digital edition?

Hi John, welcome to the board - I checked my paper copy, there's meant to be a page of Terrahawks in that gap:

Colin YNWA

Well while the Megazine may not be on top form I actually think this is pretty decent.

The Dredd doesn't do a great deal for me but is fine with great art.

Armitage isn't normally my thing but this was pretty good with great art and I'm happy to see more.

DeMarco is good but needs a re-read - art - well see above.

I know the reprint hasn't landed for some but while I've not read it here as I have it all I like Hookjaw and Mark Russell might not be at his best on Dredd - which is weird given it would seem a perfect for him its not bad.

The text pieces are fine but not as good as normal for me.

Harrower Squad took a scene shift that just lost me - again re-read required I think. Art as above.

The highlight though is Devlin Waugh without a shadow of a doubt. It was just brilliant. Art is as good as all the rest of the stuff, possibly, probably the best. The story though was amazing. Something seemingly so benign and mini just had tension and a sense of impending doom just cutting all the way through it... somehow... I've no idea now but it was there and just set up... whatevers to come superbly. Loved it.

So while some needs a re-read nothing was bad and one story was absolute top draw.

Just need me Prog now. Everytime my sub is about to renew always seen to have a problem and that appears to be the case again - sigh - Still this is the Meg thread and that all good.

scrotnig

The Meg always feels slightly flat after a Lawless run but it's pretty good nevertheless. Fantastic to see Armitage back again. One of my favourite strips and characters.

I like the reprints. I haven't read most of them previously so for me it's like having more new stuff!