Main Menu

Prog 2232 - A Small Sacrifice?

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 May, 2021, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The Prog all but clears its decks as we head into next week Regened Prog which I'm very much looking forward to seeing if it continues the momentum they've been building. I'm also happier with the way its not going to interupt the momentum of most other stories.

Dredd - for some reason I thought there was going to be more to this one. As it is its a beautifully drawn Future Shock with Dredd. Perfectly effective in that and very enjoyable, but after the excellent set up last week felt a little disappointed it was done so briskly. Still once I'm over that hard to deny its a fun story with another citzen getting a happy ending - all be it at a cost - what the hell is going on in Mega City One these days?!?

Intestinauts is well realised fun with a neatly horrific ending. Hard not to be washed along with the playful charm of this one.

Feral and Foe - the one that gets interrupted but does so at a decent point with a neat like self contained bit of trickery allowing our heroes to escape to their destination. Looking forward to getting this one back for what I assume will be its final act?

Decent Terror Tales though it did rather feel like John Tomlinson was trying a little too hard to slam two ideas together.

and then the big one how does Thistlebone stick the landing. Well with brutal bloody horror that's how. The sort of brutal bloody horror that makes you want to immediately go back and read the whole series from the off to see if you've missed any clues or foreshadowing. Its fantastic stuff and hope we spend more time in the woods... though if we don't this has been perfectly formed as if. Well done all concerned.

Thrills of the Future gives us the Chimpsky series we know is on the way so happy with that. Good Prog.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

VOTE HERE!
List your three favourite stories IN THIS PROG on the coupon and enclose it with your entry.
1. Feral and Foe
2. Intestinauts
3. Dredd
I Dislike: Thistlebone
My Age is 461/2
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

We never really die.

scrotnig

VOTE HERE!
List your three favourite stories IN THIS PROG on the coupon and enclose it with your entry.
1. Thistlebone
2. Dredd
3. Intestinauts
I Dislike: Nothing
My Age is: Over 40

broodblik

A good prog. An interesting cover by Simon Davis.

Dredd – A good functional two part which worked quite well but felt a little too short. Still enjoyable with a semi-happy ending. Good work from Carroll and Fraser

Intestinauts – A good thriller with a twist of Future Shock at the end. That first panel was quite striking. More of this please.

Feral & Foe – As our heroes enter the final level in the tale doom becomes light again. Goodness again from our creator team. Thumbs up.

Terror Tale – A good tale with a predictable ending but executed in a slightly different way what I expected.

Thistlebone – Just plainly put this was a gruesome brilliant ending to the series. Simon Davis art throughout this series was quite dazzling. What is next for the series? Is Thistlebone real or not?

This week it is all quiet on the Western Front, but you never know because next when the whistle blows it is over the top with hordes waiting and fuming at the other side.

broodblik

This week we have almost a sequel cover:

Proudhuff

VOTE HERE!
1. Thistlebone
2. Dredd
3. Intestinauts
I Dislike: Nothing
My Age is: nearly 60
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: broodblik on 19 May, 2021, 05:55:03 AM
This week we have almost a sequel cover:

If you collect and assembe all the Thistlebone covers, you can make your own hodgepodge Woodland Golem, to do battle against developers and HS1 engineers.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

First things first, I love badgers so I did not like this cover. It is, of course, beautifully designed and painted, but as i say, I love badgers so... no thank you.

As for the actual contents- Dredd and Feral & Foe top the pile for me, with the Terror Tale nipping along behind. Not a fan of this 3Riller, but others seem to have liked it, so that's good- and Thistlebone ended making me wish I had paid more attention. I really need to drag out the back progs of both series and read in one go, so until I've done that I won't commit one way or the other.

One thing: Mr Jim Campbell- is that a spelling mistake in Feral & Foe? "Hear" and not "here"? The lettering on the strip- where it stands out from others due to the different styles of speech and balloons, is otherwise magnificent.

All in all a good prog- shame about the badger. I will not show this one to the brocks who meander around my garden. Not that I usually offer them 2000AD, you understand, but even so.

SBT

I, Cosh

Can it really be eighteen years since the last time Tharg stuck a badger on the cover?

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 19 May, 2021, 10:15:00 PM
Can it really be eighteen years since the last time Tharg stuck a badger on the cover?

Oh that got me thinking and without going to Barney is that Devlin Waugh?

Richard

scrotnig

Quote from: I, Cosh on 19 May, 2021, 10:15:00 PM
Ah, that period when they were clearly trying to make the Meg look like it was the '2000ad Megazine' rather then the 'Judge Dredd Megazine'. The clever positioning and de-emphasising of certain words and logos....