Main Menu

FFT - Visible Man vs I was a Teenage Tax Consultant - Round 1 Heat 38

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 November, 2021, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week... eerrrr is anyone keeping count anymore? (well yes I am its 5) and you know what if I said Week 4 was a step up in quality, well I'd suggest this week is even better. See what you reckon...

Once in a while John Wagner produces a thrill that reminds us he's only human and as fallible of you and I. Teenage Tax Consultant is seen by many (well me then) as one such thrill. But then he's up against a story about a man whose skin is invisible... nothing else ... just invisible skin... weird...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Visible Man - more info

Vs.

I was a Teenage Tax Consultant - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 27th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

Another vote for something I have not read I was a Teenage Tax Consultant
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

AlexF

Some of the imagery on Visible Man are SO GOOD that I can't discount it entirely. But Colin is right - there's nothing to this story. It's all surface with no hidden depths. Ho Ho Ho.

And then there was the decades-later reboot, when it gets seriously weird, with aliens giving the Visible Man (now with added woman) vengeance-based missions. Because that worked so well when they tried it on Rogue Trooper.

Teen Tax Consultant has one central, and quite funny joke, which is very well painted by Ian Gibson. It also marks the point where Gibson seemed to turn into a sex pest. If this was an actual film, it'd be one from the late 70s where you know it got made and sold not on the promise of the premise, but on the promise of the many, many tits paying customers would get to ogle. Also there's some serious treats for neck-bandana fetishists.

So basically I feel like I'm voting between one page-sized panel (or two) showing what a human looks like  if their skin is invisible (awesome!) or between a one-page sequence showing a bad boy biker (with neck bandana) turning into a rabid nerd with a calculator (genuinely hilarious!).

Gonna go with...
the Visible Man

IndigoPrime

Blue Cactus

Some of those Visible Man images really are memorable. What a weird story concept though. Not that Tax Consultant is less weird. Never clicked for me, that one.

The Visible Man

rogue69

Dark Jimbo

Visible Man - not the greatest thrill, but I was looking forward to seeing where the 'new' stories were heading. Wish Henry Flint or Dave Hitchcock had been given a full series.
@jamesfeistdraws

Barrington Boots

Funnily enough I read The Visible Man last night and there is virtually no story there at all.
Not read Tax Consultant so not voting, but it can't be that great if Visible Man is better.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Tax Consultant - Visible Man has some memorable moments but there's a reason it was held back from the starting line-up and took a year to get published.

Huey2

Funt Solo

I Was a Teenage Tax Consultant - it was funny, and didn't outstay its welcome. (And didn't get resurrected decades later in an embarrassing case of equine corpse mutilation.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

I was a Teenage Tax Consultant had some beautiful artwork by the Gibson Droid.