Main Menu

Tharg's 2021 in Review - Best 2000 AD strips (non-Dredd)

Started by norton canes, 27 December, 2021, 03:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

Blue Cactus

Rogue Judge

1. Jaegir
2. Hershey
3. Proteus Vex

I'd like more adventures from the world of Rogue Trooper, cant go wrong with future war IMO. Hopefully other Rogue stories that haven't been get collected too (i.e. Hunted).

Barrington Boots

Not as easy as previous years as there's been a lot of quality thrills but, imo, not many that have stood out above the rest.

I'm going for:

1. Feral and Foe
2. Thistlebone
3. Visions of Deadworld

Jaegir should have been a nailed on winner for me but we only got that three parter this year didn't we?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Funt Solo

It's just so difficult to only pick three out of all the great series this year, and then to rank them. I've done it, but there's such a fine sliver between the three that I'd probably pick a different order five minutes from now, and probably different thrills.

1st: The Out - Book Two
Cyd can be utterly frustrating and scatter-brained, but so very, very human. That the key reveal from the first book managed to quietly shelve itself and effectively play us on the same hook two books running was well played as it revolved around Cyd's core character traits. Of course, the series isn't yet complete and has us on at least two cliffhangers right now.

2nd: Thistlebone - Poisoned Roots
A pagan horror that you can imagine being a gory televised series. Being able to freak us out in comic form shows mad skills.

3rd: Scarlet Traces - Storm Front
Space opera that managed to usurp a slightly twee ending into a new cliffhanger. (I'm not sure how else you could've ended the war, mind you - as the other paths on offer are probably too predictable. I was disappointed that the true form aspect was so ... bipedal.)

Honorable mentions ... and I'm going all out on this because I rated a lot of content this year and it seems a bit silly just to hold up three parts of it:

Proteus Vex - The Shadow Chancellor: really enjoying the Shakara-esque interstellar plotting.
Durham Red - Served Cold: action sci-fi ready to be filmed (but dodgy morality).               
Feral and Foe II: the body-swap was confusing for too long, but I still love this.             
Pandora Perfect - Mystery Moon: switch to longer form successful. She's got legs.               
Hershey - The Brutal: maybe too brutal? She's a little exposed, no? 
Visions of Deadworld - The Man Who Killed Mortis: perfect little tragedy.   
Visions of Deadworld - Transpolar: another action movie waiting to get made.     
Aquila - The Rivers of Hades: maggot-people in hell!
Chimpsky's Law - The Talented Mr Chimpsky: break-out that would be in a Regened weekly.
Tharg's 3rillers - The Mask of Laverna: great follow-up on the Keeper of Secrets.
The Diaboliks - Arrivederci Roma: a demonic action-comedy that kidnaps the Pope.
Tharg's 3rillers - Intestinauts - Symbiotic Love Triangle: gorgeous art, mad ideas.
Jaegir - The Path of Kali: a war-torn descent into hatred and revenge.
Mechastopheles - The Hunting Party: Numskulls from Hell!
Dexter - Bulletopia - Somewhere, Beyond the Sea: amazing action sequence getting on the plane.
Sláine - Dragontamer: beautiful, beautiful posters.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sintec

• The Out
  • Thistlebone
  • Proteus Vex

Feral and Foe, Diaboliks and Scarlet Traces were all close to making the list. Slaine looked beautiful but lacked substance.

rogue69

The Corinthian

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

DrJomster

Strong list, but here we go...

1. Feral and Foe
2. Thistlebone
3. The Out

Honourable mentions:
Diaboliks
Jaegir
Proteus Vex
Scarlet Traces
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Sean SD

After looking up my Top 3 posts for each prog this year, doing a quick spreadsheet, and allocating 3,2,1 pts, etc, my results are in:

1st. The Out - 27 pts
2nd. Thistlebone - 21 pts
3rd. Proteus Vex - 18 pts

Scarlet Traces unlucky to miss out on 17 pts

Plenty to enjoy amongst this year's thrills with Durham Red, Dept K, and Aquila as well amongst others

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Funt I could hug you - I was going to do a tally tomorrow morning to make it quicker when I have to tote up in the morning so you've done most my work for me!

Superstar!

norton canes

I've actually got a spreadsheet already set up to do exactly that...

Oh well, a year off!