Main Menu

Wrap It Up

Started by Funt Solo, 29 December, 2023, 07:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

My first Prog cover! Always a treat to see it in full.
I've spooted 3 Hoagys so far... what's the full tally?

Funt Solo

Quote from: AlexF on 25 January, 2024, 01:18:40 PMI've spooted 3 Hoagys so far... what's the full tally?

Might be three. I'd need to look out the prog - my cover scan isn't a very good resolution.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

07 - Haunted

Dredd is often stalked by his long list of past enemies - sometimes coming back from the dead, sometimes crossing dimensions to seek revenge...

1982's One of Dredd's Old Enemies Returns..., prog 281 (by Carlos Ezquerra):

Perhaps somewhat overshadowed by the Fruit Gums ad, and demonstrating well why my dad used to complain that the comic had too many prominent phallic symbols - that Lawgiver!

---

2007's His City, His Law, prog 1536 (by Henry Flint):

How Squaxx are you? Can you name all the villains?

---

Next: the greatest...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

08 - Belardinelli's Stories

Massimo Belardinelli created a sequence of three cover story wraparounds, and then a rare Ace Trucking effort...

1983's Secret of the Bermuda Triangle?, prog 304:

---

1983's Destruction of the Gambling Ship Miziz-Ippi IV!, prog 309:

---

1983's Tidal Terror on Torquan!, prog 311:

---

1984's "Hark! A voith calleth my name!", prog 383:

---
Next: future shocks...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Le Fink

That Bermuda Triangle picture is amazing! Gives Chris Foss a run for his money.  Thanks for posting, I'd not seen any of them before.

With Henry Flint's gallery of rogues, the only one I'm struggling with is the Rutger Hauer looking chap underneath Ratty. Unless it's Whitey?

Funt Solo

Quote from: Le Fink on 07 February, 2024, 09:58:02 PMWith Henry Flint's gallery of rogues, the only one I'm struggling with is the Rutger Hauer looking chap underneath Ratty. Unless it's Whitey?

That was my supposition.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

09 - Leftfield

The prog keeps us on our toes by throwing the unexpected at us. Here are three examples of the oddities of Dredd's world...

1983's "Um...synthi-sausage!", prog 333 (art by Carlos Ezquerra from a design by Robin Smith):

---

1985's Monsteroso, prog 412(art by Robin Smith):

---

2003's Judge Dredd vs. Aliens, prog 1330 (art by Frazer Irving):

---

Next: illuminations...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Le Fink

Classics.

The "um... synthi sausage" line has gone down in history but taking a step back it's a pretty bizarre thing for Dredd to be saying. To what question, and to whom, is he answering? Why does he have one on a fork while on his bike? Is that fork part of the Justice Department's standard equipment for motorcycle officers? So many questions.

Did Frazer Irving draw for any Aliens comics? He's a perfect match.

Funt Solo

++Accessing old-Earth data from a sealed Timeslip installation on Nu Earth++

10 - O'Neill

We already saw O'Neill's festive wraparound back in post #4 - but he also crafted a couple of classics for Nemesis and Metalzoic...

1983's Siege of Ydrasill Castle, prog 340:

---

1986's Metalzoic, prog 492:

---

Next: barbaric...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dash Decent

Quote from: Le Fink on 09 February, 2024, 08:11:20 PMThe "um... synthi sausage" line has gone down in history but taking a step back it's a pretty bizarre thing for Dredd to be saying. To what question, and to whom, is he answering? Why does he have one on a fork while on his bike? Is that fork part of the Justice Department's standard equipment for motorcycle officers? So many questions.

I think the simplest explanation is that Dredd has found the sausage-and-fork on the road.  He spots something on the ground in front of him as he patrols and thinks it may be a clue, but can't make out what it is at speed.  He scoops it up, stares at it and realises... it's a synthi-sausage?!  After all, I'm sure we've all been out driving* at one time or another and taken a fork in the road.

The second explanation is that Dredd felt something hit him in the head, and grabbed it as it bounced into his lap.  Again, he snatched it up and examined it, only to realise the offending item was a deliberately-hurled sausage on a fork.  Result: three-to-five in the juve cubes for Tucker, Gonch, Hollo, and Zammo. 

* Not together**
** Not until we club together for a forum-seating clown car that we can all squeeze into.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

Metalzoic what a great cover. I just wish we can get a reprint. I believe DC is the problem, maybe that is why they got punished at the box office
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Le Fink

Quote from: Dash Decent on 20 February, 2024, 04:58:59 AMI think the simplest explanation is that Dredd has found the sausage-and-fork on the road.  He spots something on the ground in front of him as he patrols and thinks it may be a clue, but can't make out what it is at speed.  He scoops it up, stares at it and realises... it's a synthi-sausage?!  After all, I'm sure we've all been out driving* at one time or another and taken a fork in the road.

The second explanation is that Dredd felt something hit him in the head, and grabbed it as it bounced into his lap.  Again, he snatched it up and examined it, only to realise the offending item was a deliberately-hurled sausage on a fork.  Result: three-to-five in the juve cubes for Tucker, Gonch, Hollo, and Zammo. 

* Not together**
** Not until we club together for a forum-seating clown car that we can all squeeze into.

Brilliant!

Le Fink

Quote from: broodblik on 20 February, 2024, 06:49:08 AMMetalzoic what a great cover. I just wish we can get a reprint. 

THIS ^^^^

There was a bit of Metalzoic in the recent Kevin O'Neill Apex - would love to see more.

Funt Solo

11 - Wrap-Spasm, Book I

1983 saw three detailed Slaine wraparounds that helped immerse us in the fantasy...

Massimo Belardinelli's Battle of Dun Barc, prog 332:

---

Massimo Belardinelli's On Hel's Edge, prog 334:

---

Mike McMahon's Beltain Giant, prog 336:

---

Next: OG fact-totems...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Aw, man, they're just lovely, aren't they?  I was never mad about how Belardinelli drew Sláine himself but I absolutely loved how he drew everything and everyone else in Sláine's world.  Likewise, and I'll be crucified for saying so, I don't think McMahon's Sláine character looked how Angie Kincaid envisaged him and all the artists since McMahon developed him, but I mean, it's feckin' McMahon's Sláine, and as such it's some of the best artwork the prog has ever had to offer.

EDIT to include a Thing That Went Over My Head - I didn't realise the Beltain Giant was a real thing when I read the strip first, much less that it had a massive stalk-on that McMahon wisely obscured with smoke.  Though looking into it further, it may only date back to Cromwell's time, but who cares?  I seriously doubt there were dragons and sea-demons in Slaine's time either.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"