Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Sinister Dexter vs. Feral and Foe Rd 5 Heat 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 August, 2022, 06:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So managed to squeeze in prep and we are straight into Round 5. 32 thrills remain, so at this point there is little use going on about how tough this will now be, how we are going to lose great thrills and how mind melting some of the decisions will become. It's now pretty obvious. That said there is one tie this week which I had as an outside chance of the final... not to be anymore AND I might go into meltdown if we see the end of the done in one story... it's going to be interesting to say the least

And its fitting that we start the week with a Dabnett Duo Derby. He has so many thrills left it was almost inevitable. A massive tribute to the man is that this tie sees one of his perennials, a thrill that's been with us 27 years goes against one of his newest offerings

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Sinister Dexter: Tales of Telguuth; Tao De Moto; Diaboliks
Feral and Foe: Juliet November; Durham Red; Missionary Man

Sinister Dexter - more info

VS

Feral and Foe - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 4th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

Dan vs Dan let's go with Feral and Foe a great new series by Dan is the man
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

rogue69

Funt Solo

Weird one, this. I've never really *loved* SinDex, but it's so important to the history of the comic. Starting out, it allowed multiple artists a crack at the whip. Simon Davis brought in a bold character design that impressed the hell out of me - with Sinister the Red-Nosed Hitman being a stand out. Eventually, it went long-form, then we got a break-up, then we got a stealth-thrill, then a multiverse, then an ending - and now, the drip-feed years of NuSinDex (or just NuDex, at the moment). It's earned its place.

Feral and Foe I've been enjoying a lot, and probably voted for in the previous rounds. Given a choice, I'd rather see it in the prog over SinDex, because it still feels new and exciting.

Sinister Dexter gets my vote, though.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

abelardsnazz

Blue Cactus

Sinister Dexter. Enjoying Feral and Foe but it still feels like early days for that one.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Sinister Dexter.

Reading the fifth volume of the reprints in the Ultimate Collection last week, it hit me just how much I love this series. The cast, the city, the wonderful dialogue, the puns, the intrigue (though I admit the increasingly complex plot going on in the background has sometimes worked against it) and the sheer joyousness and warmth of the strip- especially considering one of the complaints I hear most often online is that the series is "amoral, as it's about hitmen".

There's nothing in the prog as good as SiniDex when it's at its best.

SBT

Aaron A Aardvark

It's easy to forget just how fresh S & D seemed way back when they started, and even when I was fed up with them I've always found something to enjoy. F & F, just a promising start.

Sinister Dexter

Magnetica

I love Feral and Foe and would rather see it in the Prog. It's an important strip for the future of the Prog.

But I have to consider the sheer volume of Sinister Dexter and it's importance to the last two and a half decades of the Prog, and the role it played in ensuring its continued existence after a difficult period.

Plus at its best, it was very, very good.

Another consideration is that new thrills haven't yet had time to run out of ideas and so don't suffer from that in the way some longer running ones do.

So overall I'm going for Sinister Dexter.

Barrington Boots

When SinDex was good it was excellent, but much like Star Wars or Aliens I feel I'm at the point where the poor stuff outweighs the good.
It has had more highs that Feral and Foe in fairness, and I feel confident it'll win this tie which means I can vote for Feral & Foe, which I think is superb, without any nudges from my conscience.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

Have yet to fall for the charms of Feral & Foe, have more or less always enjoyed SinDex, with occasional bouts of really loving it.

Easy vote for Sinister Dexter - but it's not gonna be an easy victory it seems...

Dark Jimbo

Sinister Dexter, to my own slight surprise. It really has tried the patience over the years, but when it's good I really, really like it.
@jamesfeistdraws