Main Menu

Prog 2272 - Future Tense!

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 March, 2022, 06:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Another Prog another storming comics. From the riotous cover to memories of the 10th anniversary.

Dredd is superb as we get a tension and gritty tale related and more subtle hints that we aren't quite getting it all. Was Dredd a different man during the war. It changed things and twisted him to awful decisions we know that. But is that what we are seeing here?

Proteus Vex more interesting twists in narration here too as flight and fight are witnessed in space. Superb.

The Order end on a cliffhanger of epic proportions as Anna is cast adrift and Franklin seemingly reeled in. We have the promise of a return, for which I can't wait.

Kingmaker ... or Duke raiser, whichever prefer. And there's a alien falling to 'earth'. Nice stuff.

Brink weaves two tales together as this gets more and more like The Wire. And we all know what a great thing that is right! Fantastic comics.

So another five-for and with The Order being replaced by Fiends next issue there is no reason to think that will change. Brilliant stiff AND second Saturday Prog on the bounce. Things are on good form!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Another great prog this week. Another fiver as we will not dip in quality with the return of Fiends

Dredd – The one thing that I am unsure about in the story is how "true" is our narrator, can we trust him or is he bending the truth? This episode is action packed episode as we are heading for the Citadel. We will have to wait until next time to find out what is the Citadel.

Porteus Vex – A surprise is waiting in this episode as we are focusing on the escape [spoiler]and Vex comes to the rescue[/spoiler]. Great story just love it.

The Order – An intriguing episode as the Shadows are revealing more about their purpose and who they are. The final episode ends in a highlight, and we will have to wait and see what happens next. Bring it on

Kingmaker – I wondered what would happen when our villain was taken off the board as negotiations ends in something I did not except. The last page has an interesting end to the episode. Good storytelling by the team

Brink – Brink continues from the last episode as we have a lot of talking going on, but this is all part of the slow-burn. The story always keeps you at the edge of your seat as we wait for the "reveal" to be sprung. Abnett knows how to pull us in great stuff and the story is enhanced by Culbard's art.

Hawkmumbler

I rarely commit to the prog threads anymore because, well, everyone else puts it so much more succinctly than I do. But by goddamn has this latest run of THE ORDER been the mutts nuts.

Barrington Boots

Very quiet on the review thread this week.
Have to say I'm not a fan of this cover. It's ugly, which I guess is kind of the intent? but it's not that dynamic either.

Dredd – Very much enjoying this. It's all action but I definitely think we can't take anything that happens in this tale as 'canon' as we're getting a very specific version of events. I'm not sure what the Citadel will turn out to be or what awful act Dredd will do that is going to overshadow him nuking the Sovs, but I'm onboard for it. Dan Cornwell's art is just fantastic.

Proteus Vex – Very action packed episode. This story continues to be excellent.

The Order – Not a bad episode but my investment in this strip is fading and I think this has been a weaker run than usual although I can't put my figure on why. That said it's a big cliffhanger ending to the run - again - and it's been a non-stop action ride.

Kingmaker – I thought we'd be seeing a confrontation between the Duke and Crixus this week, so a bit surprised by what happened. I guess the story has very much changed tack from it's earlier episodes and we'll be seeing a new status quo: I'm really not sure what is up next, so reserving judgement. Stunning art as ever.

Brink – The slowest of burns. I'm enjoying this, but we'll need to see something more soon.

Felt like a quick read this week, but with Fiends back next week, and all the other stories full of promise, the next Prog could be a banger.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

I quite like the cover, it continues in the vein of unsettlingly surreal Brink covers. Shame about the tagline covering what's really the main focus of interest, though. You'd think TMO would see the draft version and realise either the text or the illo need repositioning.

Nasty stuff again the 'The Citadel', and like I said last week, all in extreme juxtaposition to Dan Cornwell's artistic style, though if anything that contrast serves to make his depiction even more horrific. Love the panel on the final page, with the Sov meks scanning that broken doll. Lovely storytelling in Proteus Vex, which unlike one or two other strips of late doesn't suffer from an action-based instalment. A bizarre turn of events in Kingmaker (though the title is starting to make more sense now!) - I didn't actually realize that Eschatus had died at the end of the previous week. Are we to take that green glow in the final panel as his body burning up in the atmosphere, or a sign that he's about to undergo a Ming-like resurrection..? Brink just carries on Brinking, really. Is Evan Leeden supposed to be the guy who burns his face away at the start of the second(?) chapter? Is this chapter going to present an alternative take on all the events seen in previous chapters? Stay tuned, I guess!

dweezil2

Dan Cornwell draws a drokking awesome Lawmaster-I needed to say it!!!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tiplodocus

Loving Dredd and Brink. Warm on Kingmaker and Proteus Vex. Down on The Order. It's an anthology though so happy that others are getting five out of five.

Art throughout is outstanding though. Dies that even need to be said these days?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Corinthian

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 09 March, 2022, 05:35:09 PM
I think this has been a weaker run than usual although I can't put my figure on why.

There's a lot of movement but not much of a sense that we're getting anywhere, and there's no real sense of structure or story. Case in point, the first page of the latest serial is all about what Francis Bacon's up to as if he's going to cast a bigger shadow over the rest of the story... but then he's barely mentioned. (Compare with the first episode of Proteus Vex in the same prog, where Midnight's appearance is important contextualisation for what's to come, even if she's not involved in anything we've seen since.)

It feels like a strip that's happily treading water in that particular way that Tom Tully made his own back in the 1970s and 1980s, except that Tully's stories could run for months and it could be years before we see any more of 'The Order'.

Barrington Boots

Spot on analysis there Corinthian and very well put.
Generally I've enjoyed The Order and I hope the next time we see it this is addressed.
You're a dark horse, Boots.