Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 09 June, 2013, 11:34:03 PM
  I don't like a film... I say it's 'Pish'

You seem to get these mixed up quite often though.

Just because you don't like something (Matt Smith in Doctor Who or John Carter of Mars for example) doesn't mean they are "pish". You then try and call the thing out on something that is considerend by most of the audience and critics alike to be not true e.g. Matt Smith's "wooden" acting.

Nobody minds you not liking something. 

But I'd suggest coming up with considered opinions (e.g. as Joe Soap thinks about the narrative deficienceis of John Carter) and people might pay more heed to what you say.

Or continue to quote your taste as objective criticism and back it up by reeling off lists of things that *could* be wrong with it (but aren't actually).

Your choice.

PS: I'm only posting this because I'm really annoyed about 5 other things at the moment. Heaven knows Mister Campbell doesn't need any help in dealing with people on the internet.

PPS: John Carter - whole family loved it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 June, 2013, 01:21:05 PM
And while it is true I have god like powers, I cannot see everything...

Only the true Messiah would deny his divinity.

I did send a reporty-thing, but I think you got your retaliation in first.

Recrewt

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

Richmond Clements

Professor Bear

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 June, 2013, 01:39:47 AM
Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 10 June, 2013, 01:36:41 AM
I can't shake the belief that a lot of that money went up someone's nose.

That's a lot of powder for one man.

Only if you're a pussy.  For a real man, that's Tuesday morning.

Spikes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 June, 2013, 10:47:37 PM
Well, I liked Donnie Darko

I thought everyone liked/loved Donnie Darko? Top film!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Judge Jack on 10 June, 2013, 04:40:03 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 June, 2013, 10:47:37 PM
Well, I liked Donnie Darko

I thought everyone liked/loved Donnie Darko? Top film!
I think the mainstream audience just didn't get it. I'm not one of them though, great film.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 09 June, 2013, 07:07:43 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 09 June, 2013, 12:38:42 AM
The Rock - fucking brilliant. One of the very few perfect action films

It is very good but it has Nicholas Cage in it and therefore cannot be perfect.

My viewing last night? Superman! Still brilliant 35 years on. This Man of Steel lark has a lot to live up to

I brought the Blue-Ray boxed set for my father on Christmas.
He's only watched the first two disc's on it. Which are the first theatrical release and directors cut of the first film.

Christopher Reeve is hard to replace.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 10 June, 2013, 02:25:45 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 June, 2013, 01:39:47 AM
Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 10 June, 2013, 01:36:41 AM
I can't shake the belief that a lot of that money went up someone's nose.

That's a lot of powder for one man.

Only if you're a pussy.  For a real man, that's Tuesday morning.

Wouldn't a 'real man' make Get Carter rather than John Carter?

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 June, 2013, 08:20:21 PM

Who, like Stallone

ThryllSeekyr

Over the last week. I have watched.....

Piranha DD

[spoiler]Some prehistoric Piranha left over from the first film invade a water park with lots of gory death scenes, but not as much as was in the first film. Starring Ving Rhames Now sporting metal legs, Christopher Loyd As a Marine Expert with a theory that the Piranhas are evolving to walk on land , David Hasselhoff as a celebrity lifeguard who lampoons himself all the way through the movie. Despite this, I found the movie short and less than satisfying. Only worth watching once. Though, I will be awaiting the next instalment where the Piranhas will now be walking on land.[/spoiler]

Chronicle

[spoiler]After attending a party, three young men enter a hole in the ground one night and encounter something strange. They aquire telekinetic powers. The ability to fly and move things with their mind. The youngest of the trio, formerly bullied at school, now fights back. Soon, all hell breaks loose as they lose control. From what I saw of this film it wasn't as interesting as the premise sounded and the camera work was done from the perspective of one of the main characters carrying a camera phone. I wasn't really paying attention. I kept dozing off and missed most of the film. I'll have to see this again.[/spoiler]

Last Action Hero

[spoiler]A young boy who spends most of his time at the movies, following action hero Jack Slater portrayed by Arnold Swarzeneggar as well as himself. When he is given a magic movie ticket which allows him to cross over into the make believe world of the movie he's watching. Encountering Jack Slater, becoming his side kick. When they arrive at Slater's NYPD Head Quarters. Sharon Stone, Robert Patrick appears as their respective characters from Basic instinct & Terminator Two. There is also a cartoon cat voiced by Danny Devito. Every thing is so unreal and over the top in this reality. As the Wikipedia says. It is a satire of the action genre and its clichés, containing several parodies of action films in the form of films within the film. In a video store there is cardboard cut out of Sylvestor Stallone as The Terminator. They soon meet with the film's villain. The Assassin,  portrayed by Charles Dance who soon aquires the magic movie ticket and cross's over into the real world. Through the power of the magic ticket. He soon brings another villain. The Ripper, portrayed by Tom Noonan ( Who also portrays himself.) into the real world with him.Ian Makellan cameos as Death curiously tempted by the real world. Arnold Swarzeneggar is his usual over the top self all through the movie and he even does Hamlet in a day dream sequence and comes face to face with himself at a movie premeire. I remember, when this film first came out in the cinemas. I saw it three times. I was my favourite film of that moment and this time around I ended up watching three times again, only catching bits & pieces of it as I was doing something else on the computer. Somehow this time around I didn't find the film as good as the first three times I saw it and the Wikipedia[/I] says this was a financial disappointment in it's theatrical release.[/spoiler]

Dylan Dog: The Dead of Night

[spoiler]Based on a comic book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Dog. [spoiler]Though I never read the comic, so I can't tell wether it was a good adaption or not. Watching the film, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be by the premise of a private investigator Dylan portrayed by Superman Returns,  Brandon Routh who's usual clientele are the Vampire, Werewolf, & zombie clans of New Orleans who drag the once retired investigator  into their private underground war. His side kick Marcus gets bitten by a zombie and becomes one. Though the zombies in this film are more personable & intelligent than regular zombies. They even have their own self help groups. As I said the film wasn't as good as it's premise and the special effects were cheap for film made in 2010. From what I know of the original comic and it's Wikipedia entry. Differences between the comic result in the film being set in New Orleans instead of London, the character of Groucho being replaced by an un-dead sidekick called Marcus due to issues for the production to acquire the rights to use the Groucho Marx name and style, another difference is Dylan Dog's Volkswagen Beetle being black with a white hood instead of the opposite like in the comic. I won't be watching it again.[/spoiler]

Highlander Two : The Quickening

[spoiler]As I was studying these rules.  http://vampirerpg.free.fr/Rules/Highlander/ .[spoiler] I wonder if the authors ever considered the Immortals from Highlander. Colin Macleod, Ramiraz and the Kurgan all originated from the far away planet Zeist as they were in this unfavourable and universally panned sequel set 500 years before. As they would have it. Some were banished, some were sent to planet Earth to be reborn as immortals battling each other through the ages until the time of the Gathering. Only being able to actually kill each other by decapitation alone. Until one is left to claim the prize. Which is either mortality or being aloud to return to the planet Zeist. As Colin Macleod won the prize at the conclusion of the first film, he gains superior knowledge and in this second film in year 1999. Wanting to solve the problem of the ozone layer,  he supervises a team of scientists to build a generator that is to cast a electromagnetic shield around the Earth. Though, the shield has the added side effect of constant night, high global temperature and high humidity. By the year 2024, humanity has lost hope and fallen into a decline. The ownership of the shield generator has fallen under the Shield Corporation. A terrorist group who want to take down the shield, discover that the ozone layer has restored itself and the shield is no longer needed. The Shield Corporation is focused on profit, and is imposing fees for the corporation's services will stop at nothing to keep their shield running despite the ozone layer. Mean while back on planet Zeist. General Katana sends two hench men to planet Earth to kill the Colin Macleod. Now a aging and frail old man. He manages to decapitate them both, absorbs their energy during the Quickening, and regains his youthful appearance. In the process, he summons Ramirez back to life.....
There was a improved version made from this film. As it says in the Wikipedia. In 1995, Mulcahy made a Director's Cut version known as "Highlander 2: Renegade Version". The film was reconstructed largely from existing material, with certain scenes removed and others added back in, and the entire sequence of events changed. All references to the Immortals being aliens from another planet were eliminated; instead, this cut reveals that the Immortals are from an unspecified, distant past on Earth, banished by priests into random locations in the future to keep the Prize from being won in their lifetime. I like this one much better and I found myself in the early hours of the morning searching for this Directors Cut, but all I could come up with is the Theatrical release with annoying commentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfh4hmtyVvk [spoiler]Favorite scene: Through the quickening, Macleod reappearing as his youthful self and Ramirez coming back to life on theatre stage.  Take note of how Ramirez's Katana magically ends up in Macleod's hand when he's facing Katana towards the end of the movie.

Highlander II: Fairytale Ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW1qHfhe_TM
[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 June, 2013, 08:26:21 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 June, 2013, 08:20:21 PM

Who, like Stallone?

I don't remember Sly standing butt-naked in the street with a shotgun.

Link Prime

Not his style, was it?
Then again, he'd be outclassed by Bix Barton's Michael Cane, never mind the real thing for fack sake!

ThryllSeekyr

I just watched Cujo.

A horror/thriller originally written by Stephen King. It's about a woman and her son. Who are trapped inside a broken down car while a rabid dog. Probably a Saint Bernard. Terrorises them.
That's the main plot of the movie. There were other things going on as well, but they were unimportant.
Now the dog Cujo had a reputation for being gentle, until it was bitten on the nose by a bat and caught rabies, it's attitude changed. It got dangerous and gored a man. I think it had ago at it's owner killing them both before encountering the woman and child. Where I won't go any further giving too much more of the story away.

The woman Donna Trenton is portrayed by Dee Wallace and one of the men she is involved with in this film is Steve Kemp. Who is portrayed by Christopher Stone. I mention them, because they both got married in real life and where in a few other films together. I recognise them from the horror film The Howling. Where they both became infected with Lycanthropy.

The dog's real name is Daddy and they made it up to look sick and maddened was done realistically in my opinion.

A classic horror/thriller film. Even if it's a bit too short.

Theblazeuk

ONly read the book but Cujo is a great example of how horror doesn't need to be insiduous, doesn't need to be otherworldly, and doesn't even need to be 'evil'. A rabid dog and a broken car is a pretty terrifying situation by itself.

Prior review of Chronicle - I loved that movie. Superpowers do not equal superheroes.