Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I suppose since no-one actually watched Childhood's End you could be right.

CrazyFoxMachine

X-Men - Days of Future Pasta (Updated review after seeing the Rogue cut)

As someone who watched X-Men 1 in the cinema as a kid with bated breath  this was a tremendous exercise in nostalgia. Blending everything from 2000 to 2011 with enormous charm and breathless pace Days of Future Past is not necessarily comic-continuity tastic but as a pure love-letter for those who went excitedly to the cinema at the millennium it is utterly perfect and should be commended for keeping the tone so consistent - the climax is extraordinary and the denouement dynamite. More could be done with newboy Quicksilver but it's very hard to fault otherwise.

Rogue Cut

Doesn't add enough to become in any way more 'essential' than the cinematic cut but pleases the completest (who'll likely be buying it anyway) by adding a nice bit of continuity cake with Rogue and filling all the gaps with the original 00's trilogy by not leaving the viewer blown away by the ending going "but wait... what about Rogue"

Bad City Blue

Saw "Split" last night, a very good, tight thriller/horror.

M Night Shyamalamadingdong has concentrated on plot and character over a twist, and it shows.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 24 January, 2017, 11:31:56 AM
M Night Shyamalamadingdong has concentrated on plot and character over a twist, and it shows.

Link Prime

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 24 January, 2017, 11:31:56 AM
Saw "Split" last night, a very good, tight thriller/horror.

Planning on seeing it this weekend- have managed to avoid spoilers so far!

Tiplodocus

So I was trying to work out how first used the...  "Title of the film, more like SHITLE of the film" gag on this thread but only got about twenty pages in. Anybody know?

Interestingly, those first twenty pages do have a regular "Twenty Minutes Too Long" theme.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Didn't that start on the dedicated Prometheus thread ("Promethe-arse more like")

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 January, 2017, 01:14:59 PM
So I was trying to work out how first used the...  "Title of the film, more like SHITLE of the film" gag on this thread but only got about twenty pages in. Anybody know?
Don't know if it's the first but here's an interesting exchange between two luminaries dating back to October 2011.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

I caught Captain Fantastic last night and it was a little baggy but pretty charming, even if the wunderkind kids are a little exaggerated, it did at least finally show some of the consequences of raising a family in complete isolation and wilderness training (i.e. your children may be grievously injured). Doesn't seem to be quite sure of its main character as mission 'free the food' does somewhat undermine all the rhetoric, given that money for things eventually seems like absolutely no problem.

Also caught RED today and it is far from the original material but a lot of fun.

JamesC

Quote from: I, Cosh on 25 January, 2017, 01:33:45 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 January, 2017, 01:14:59 PM
Don't know if it's the first but here's an interesting exchange between two luminaries dating back to October 2011.

Pretty sure it was Tiplodocus.

I watched three films on my lazy day off on Monday:

Shadow of a Doubt: I got a Hitchcock box set for Xmas so I'm watching some of the ones I'd never seen before. This was a creepy drama starring Joseph Cotton as a beloved uncle who is actually a serial killer on-the-run and Teresa Wright as his super-lovely niece.
I really enjoyed it and the two leads were both excellent. Well worth a watch (I much preferred it to Night of the Hunter which it reminded me of in lots of ways).

10 Cloverfield Lane: I knew very little about this film before watching it and I think that was for the best. I absolutely loved it and had fun reading the various internet theories afterwards. I'd really recommend giving this a go if you like thrillers that keep you guessing.

Cop Car: It was okay I guess. I like Kevin Bacon and the two child actors were excellent. I couldn't quite suspend my disbelief enough to buy into the fact that the kids would do what they did though. Basically, the execution was all really good but the story was a bit naff.

Eamonn Clarke

Arrival. Thought it was splendid, but not as splendid as

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople (by the director of What We do in the Shadows)

And have I missed the Blah-Blah Land backlash? Quite underwhelmed and I like a musical, Sing Street was my film of the year last year, up until Rogue One came out that was.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 January, 2017, 08:00:17 PM
And have I missed the Blah-Blah Land backlash? Quite underwhelmed and I like a musical, Sing Street was my film of the year last year, up until Rogue One came out that was.

You've just helped me make a decision - I gnerally hate musicals and romcoms nd nothing about this movie appealed to me - However I was considering giving it a go based on the massive praise being lavished on it, but I reckon I'll trust my instincts!

Professor Bear

Insidious - more like Inshitius.

dweezil2

Caught a showing of the animated Ghost In The Shell tonight.
Great to see it on the big screen, subtitled translation was shit though!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tiplodocus

Thanks for the link. Those first few uses  had me lolling. And then we all seem to have watched good films for quite a long while.

One question, the answer to which I haven't had the patience to look for: did Cosh ever see Big Trouble In Little China?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!