Main Menu

Judge Dredd by Bolland: Masterpiece Edition (Expanded Apex edition) - June 2024

Started by Dash Decent, 09 November, 2023, 03:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Judge Dredd by Brian Bolland: Masterpiece Edition - Paperback, 160 pages, 18th June 2024

Reprinting the immediately sold-out Judge Dredd by Brian Bolland Apex Edition this Masterpiece Edition is expanded and reformated for a wider audience.

Judge Dredd by Brian Bolland: Masterpiece Edition – Acclaimed as one of the greatest artists of his generation for his work on such titles as Camelot 3000 and Batman: The Killing Joke, Brian Bolland's work on Judge Dredd helped catapult both the series and Bolland himself to international acclaim.

This book will include pages from the Judge Dredd epics; The Cursed Earth, The Day the Law Died, The Judge Child Quest, and Bolland's masterpiece Judge Death Lives. Also included is a gallery of covers ranging from 2000 AD to the Judge Dredd reprints published by Eagle Comics which brought Brian to the attention of American readers and show off Bolland's inventiveness and sardonic humour.[/i]
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Quoteexpanded and reformated
QuotePaperback
Curious decisions, both. I assume this will make it more affordable. But a paperback of that size isn't going to be amazing. Also, I know a whole bunch of folks who'd have happily bought a straight reprint. Interesting that Rebellion isn't going to do that. (Perhaps there aren't enough of said people.)

(Here, I might have been tempted by a reprint of the original, but I have no interest in a paperback edition. Perhaps there'll be a webshop exclusive.)

13school

It sounds like the same approach as IDW has taken with some of their artists editions. The first version of at least some of them (Daredevil: Born Again, a Steranko Nick Fury collection) were full size hardcovers, then the reprint was a smaller (but still oversize) paperback edition.

I guess it makes sense business wise. There's presumably people who are put off by a giant hardcover but would still like to look at original art scans, and by adding new pages there's bound to be people who bought the Apex edition back for more.

IndigoPrime

The double-dipping thing (so soon after the expensive original) seems a bit hrrrmmm, but hey-ho. Part and parcel of the business, unfortunately.

Colin YNWA

As someone whose resisted the Artist Editions as I struggle to justify the price this is another temptation... will I be able to resist this time?

Its interesting that its been expanding which I could imagine annoying folks who invested in the original, but more material will have come to light. Rebellion can kinda side step that by flagging this won't be of quite the same high standard due to size, but these paperback editions does make the material more accessible to more folks which is a good thing.

Having watched a video reviewing the original I do wonder if I'll be able to resist this time, especially if the extra material is good and depending on the price it lands at.

Good hear these have been enough of a success to not only expand the line but also allow Rebellion to experiment with different ways of presenting things.

dan200

I'm assuming this is just the Apex editions reduced to a size than can actually fit on a bookshelf? If so: I'm interested. The impractical size of this things was a big turn off for me before.

karlos

I'd have preferred a straight up HC reprint, like most, but this sounds pretty sexy, nonetheless.

Is this going to be the future of apex editions?

IndigoPrime

QuoteIs this going to be the future of apex editions?
I imagine that will depend on how well it sells, like anything else.

As for the HC editions, one might surmise that making them 'buy it or miss it' will compel people in future to not dawdle. But the relative speed at which the Bolland one sold out caught quite a few folks I know unawares. So not doing a second print of that would be a strange decision. (Not that there's any suggestion Rebellion would never do that, note. It may well do.)

Le Fink

I missed out on the original full size hardcover and I'd be tempted by a reprint. If the paperback is all we're getting though then I'd probably get one. The word 'expanded' is intriguing and could affect my choice if both reprint and expanded paperback versions are made available.

O Lucky Stevie!

It's listed on Amazon so Rebellion are clearly making the reprint more widely available & affordable to the general public. I'm aware of people outside of the UK who pre-ordered this through Diamond who never saw a copy. This paperback will also make it more practical for Rebellion to keep in print as well given Brisn Bolland's profile in the wider comics community.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Lorenzo

As someone that bought the Apex edition this is both annoying and intriguing. There aren't enough details yet to get too excited but I'm interested in the extra pages, especially if it will be printed full size.
Certainly the price point makes this edition more accessible. The price inflation for the Apex editions has been wild. I managed to get the first one for €85 - the second McMahon was €115!!

karlos

Dash Decent

Quote from: dan200 on 09 November, 2023, 10:56:09 AMI'm assuming this is just the Apex editions reduced to a size than can actually fit on a bookshelf? If so: I'm interested.

One e-tailer is listing the dimensions as 30.6cm x 23.2cm.

Current Amazon UK price: £27.59
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Example page (one of several) showing trim lines and other indications of page size vs picture size.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll