Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 November, 2021, 11:02:11 AM
Quote from: milstar on 01 November, 2021, 09:51:02 PM

Plus, Keeley Hawes is unsurpassed voice actor for Lara.

I'd somehow either never known that or completely forgotten it, but what a great choice for a voice actor.

Legend was far more enjoyable than the sequel Underworld as far as I recall, but the game-play of both pales in comparison to the modern reboot trilogy.

I didn't like much Underworld. I hate what they did to the story, offing Lara's mother just like that, which was incredible disappointment. When I look back, it's as if the developers had little faith in the trilogy (although Legend could be seen as continuation of the previous games, and doesn't spoil anything), ending it abruptly, before focusing on the reboot. Funny thing about Legend, there is an easter egg in the game, hinting at the Anniversary, which I wasn't aware before.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

Bioshock

The epitome of 2000s gaming. A bit dated now, and at places unpolished (like a rather rushed final boss fight), but still entertaining. Doesn't carry the huge emotional baggage of its predecessors, but I am amused how it brilliantly ties up with Burial at Sea ep2.

But one thing grinds my gears. Why the bloody heck I harvested only three Little Sisters, and still got the worst ending. What trickery is this?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

A gripe I had with Bioshock was the bit near the start where your character finds a syringe of unknown origin and just jams it in his arm without a second thought.
You may quote me on that.

repoman

I always found Bioshock to be a bit of a slog.  Too many fetch quests.  Was the best of the three though.

milstar

Quote from: Mister Pops on 17 November, 2021, 12:11:40 PM
A gripe I had with Bioshock was the bit near the start where your character finds a syringe of unknown origin and just jams it in his arm without a second thought.

Ah, but have you forgotten about "would you kindly?"

Quote from: repoman on 17 November, 2021, 02:30:28 PM
I always found Bioshock to be a bit of a slog.  Too many fetch quests.  Was the best of the three though.

Infinite for me. Just blew me away.

milstar

Tomb Raider 3

...The Adventures of Lara Croft, as is the full title. It must be tying up loose ends. Tomb Raider was the last game I rabidly played on my PS1 before it went bust. And I was at the very ending. I remember how the image of man (the final boss) transformed into a giant spider creeped me out to the bone. Either way, I've done it now, shamelessly have to admit with the help of the online walkthrough. But the game really had occupied me for weeks. Even with blowing a fuse countless times, partly thanks to unforgiving gameplay, where one step is a step for reloading the save, coupled with muddy graphics the nature of the gameplay, TR3 is a bloody strenuous experience. Strictly narrowed to keyboard wasn't a big deal, except the way these controls work (did I mention that 2013 reboot finally got the controls right for Tomb Raider?). Exotic locales are what primarily drew me to Tomb Raider, India, South Pacific, Nevada desert and, Antarctica are all ripe stuff, but paradoxically, London imho has the most engaging scenery.
Now, off to The Last Revelations.

Richmond Clements

Assassin's Creed Origins. Almost 30 hours in and barely have half the map uncovered. This is just bloody brilliant. Such a step up from the final few last gen games (although I did enjoy the one in London). Loving every minute of this.

wedgeski

Quote from: wedgeski on 14 October, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 14 October, 2021, 10:14:30 AM
While waiting on Metroid Dread to arrive in the post I downloaded Doom (2016) on my PS5 partially on a curious whim / partially because it was only a coupla quid.
Metroid Dread is bloody brilliant. I'm sneaking every spare minute I can find.
Finally on the last boss. Kind of don't want it to end. Performed the amazing trick of both frustrating me and keeping me hooked. Amazing game.

wedgeski

Quote from: wedgeski on 09 December, 2021, 11:08:03 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 14 October, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 14 October, 2021, 10:14:30 AM
While waiting on Metroid Dread to arrive in the post I downloaded Doom (2016) on my PS5 partially on a curious whim / partially because it was only a coupla quid.
Metroid Dread is bloody brilliant. I'm sneaking every spare minute I can find.
Finally on the last boss. Kind of don't want it to end. Performed the amazing trick of both frustrating me and keeping me hooked. Amazing game.
Complete, and quite proud of my tired old fingers for getting to the end of this one. Just the one Google. And to reiterate: amazing game.

Link Prime

Quote from: wedgeski on 16 December, 2021, 03:00:23 PM
Just the one Google.

Lemme guess - the Burenia Shine-spark puzzle?

wedgeski

Link Prime

Gaming overload since December - I'm at various stages of the following:

Golf Story (Nintendo Switch) - I overlooked this retro Golfing RPG when it was released a few years ago, and have rectified the mistake. Highly addictive game, but getting quite difficult in the final chapter.
House of Ashes (PS5) - The 3rd of the 'Dark Pictures Anthology' and historically the 4th game that my other half has agreed to play / participate with me (she was a huge fan of all the previous Supermassive narrative driven games, including 'Until Dawn'). We are early days on this one, but loving it so far - a nice blend of Aliens and The Decent.
Doom Eternal (PS4) - Purchased on the back of a shockingly entertaining play-through of Doom 2016 last year. It's great, but feels ever so slightly off compared to it's predecessor. I'm getting either crap or lazy, and have lowered the difficulty a few levels in.
Mario Golf (Nintendo Switch) - With my love of the virtual sport recently rejuvenated, it was a no-brainer purchase. A solid game, as you would expect from Nintendo, but surprisingly the lower spec Golf Story has better game mechanics. Go figure.
Just Cause 3 (PS4) - Purchased on the back of a Mr. Pops recommendation earlier in this thread, I got it for about 3 quid in a PSN sale. I am very far along in this, having completed the main story. I'm now just flying around in a golden helicopter blowing shit up for a few more Trophies. A hard game to actually recommend - entertaining for what it is, but I did find it a bit boring and repetitive. Probably should have dipped in and out more.

The Doctor Alt 8

You'll all call me a filthy casual but I love playing Elder Scrolls Online... When it isn't available I am also playing Destroy All Humans. I love the humour and the 1050 aesthetic

Link Prime

Some recent unwelcome news for Nintendo fans - they are closing the Virtual Console access on 3DS and Wii U in less than a year, and time is ticking if you want to purchase copies of classic games (some of which will be available via the Switch online subscription, some of which will not).

I gave this probably more consideration than say, buying a new car, and ended up sinking €80 into several purchases on both devices that met certain criteria;

- I don't have the game and want to play it.
- I have the game, it's great, but will I ever boot up the old hardware / system again?

I've been playing the following thus far:

Super Mario Advance 4 (GBA on Wii U)- A souped up version of all time classic Super Mario Bros 3. There's a reason this gem is at the top of the charts. A 30+ year old game which can still delight and frustrate. 2D perfection.

Harvest Moon (GBC on 3DS) - I had a massive hangover last Sunday and sunk the majority of the day into this, only to maddeningly have to delete the file due to a game breaking foul-up (loss of the sickle).

Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA on Wii U) - I can't believe I overlooked this game when it was originally released, mistakenly thinking it was a cash grab remake of the original. It is entirely it's own beast, and is as addictive as Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Samus Returns or the recent 10/10 game Metroid Dread. It plays and looks a dream on the Wii U controller display screen. Just perfect.

I have loads more to get through - the usual titles, but if any of ye have more left-field Virtual Console recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Angry Vince

Wartales
If you love RPG's, medieval stories, sandbox and turn based combat? Absolutely brilliant game, picked it up cheap on a Steam sale, have been playing all weekend.
Can't recommend this enough.
Nothing like watching your brute crush three enemy with one swipe of his giant hammer!
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)