2000 AD > General

how to do a prog slog

<< < (2/166) > >>

Dark Jimbo:

--- Quote from: sheridan on 22 May, 2015, 11:32:01 PM ---Nice idea - though for me I think Space Raiders would be more appropriate.  I can't even remember if I knew Brett did the packet designs at the time, but I cut out the comic strips on the back, oily and greasy as they were.

--- End quote ---

:lol: Me too!

Colin YNWA:
Yeah and you should have to fight with your brother about whose turn it is to read it first. If you don't have a brother just chose a random person in the street who looks about 3 1/2 years older then you.

Anyway its one of those things that you really have to decide for yourself (man maybe we can release a Prog Slog help guide like running a marathon guide or some such?). What is it your want to get from the experience. Last time I did a 'full' one I read a year of Dredd's then went back through that year reading individual stories as one, happily skipping stories here and there that didn't take my fancy. That's cos I just wanted to read the stories I hadn't read for years.

On my 'To Read' Spreadsheet about 1 year or more away I've put in re-read in but this time I'm going to read a year of Progs in a month (ish) have about 4 slots in my reading list 'section', 2 new material, 2 re-read if that makes sense, tends to take me a month to get through one of those, though with a year of progs in each section might take longer... anyway I digress that one I'm kinda thinking I'll be reading each prog as a whole, cos I want to know how each Prog read. I'd stick the relevent years annuals and specials at the end of the relevent year I'd guess but have over thought it.

I think some people read a Prog a day which always seemed a nice way to do it, but not sure I have the patience or time, I'd miss some etc etc.

Its all about what you want from the experience I'd say, why you doing it. Main thing of course is you'll have a bloody good time and remember to keep us informed!

Jock Savage:

--- Quote from: sheridan on 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM ---In what order should I actually read them?  Cover-to-cover as they came out?
--- End quote ---

I would say so. That way you get an impression of the history of the comic as well as the development of the strips themselves.

Throwing in annuals and specials sounds like a great way of adding a bit of variety, but I'm not sure the complicated business of coordinating the Megazine's erratic publishing schedule with the prog is worth the bother. There are 2 or 3 epics where the Dredd strips in both comics hook up, but for the rest of the 25 years they're just 2 comics from the same publisher.

Dash Decent:

--- Quote from: sheridan on 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM ---At some point before the end of this year I'm going to embark on a prog slog (or possibly a back prog slog), but as it means I'll be devoting quite a chunk of my time to it, I want to make sure I start out doing it right.
--- End quote ---

Are you going to keep a prog slog blog too Sheridan, or are you rereading them just for pleasure?

I like the idea of reading Tornado or some other contemporaneous titles along with the weekly prog to get a sense of the past.  Nice one!

sheridan:

--- Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 May, 2015, 07:17:59 AM ---Yeah and you should have to fight with your brother about whose turn it is to read it first. If you don't have a brother just chose a random person in the street who looks about 3 1/2 years older then you.

Anyway its one of those things that you really have to decide for yourself (man maybe we can release a Prog Slog help guide like running a marathon guide or some such?). What is it your want to get from the experience. Last time I did a 'full' one I read a year of Dredd's then went back through that year reading individual stories as one, happily skipping stories here and there that didn't take my fancy. That's cos I just wanted to read the stories I hadn't read for years.

On my 'To Read' Spreadsheet about 1 year or more away I've put in re-read in but this time I'm going to read a year of Progs in a month (ish) have about 4 slots in my reading list 'section', 2 new material, 2 re-read if that makes sense, tends to take me a month to get through one of those, though with a year of progs in each section might take longer... anyway I digress that one I'm kinda thinking I'll be reading each prog as a whole, cos I want to know how each Prog read. I'd stick the relevent years annuals and specials at the end of the relevent year I'd guess but have over thought it.

I think some people read a Prog a day which always seemed a nice way to do it, but not sure I have the patience or time, I'd miss some etc etc.

Its all about what you want from the experience I'd say, why you doing it. Main thing of course is you'll have a bloody good time and remember to keep us informed!

--- End quote ---
Here's a few reasons I have for wanting to re-read the lot:

* fill in those little gaps in my collection (mainly the afore-mentioned Tornados) - I'll give the phonecard stories a miss though, as I'm not made of money!
* because I haven't re-read some of them for many, many years
* to rediscover stories I'd forgotten
* so that those shelves of comics that I've been dragging across the country for the past few decades actually get read, and aren't just gathering dust
* so that I know who all of those old characters who get dropped in every now and then are (I'd completely forgotten about the Lawlords when they reappeared, and I wasn't alone judging by some of the online responses).I'm thinking at the moment that I'll try to read them in the order they came out, including the erratic publishing schedule of the Meg (though excepting the Daily Dredds, as reading one weekly and five dailies in between progs would be a bit overcomplicated...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version