2000 AD > General

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Low Life vs. Nemesis and Deadlock Round 2 Heat 03

<< < (6/6)

Funt Solo:

--- Quote from: AlexF on 19 January, 2022, 08:02:00 AM ---Getting wildily off-topic, but I believe it's specifically James Ferman, long-time head of the BBFC, who had a problem with the word 'ninja' (automatica 18 rating for including that word in the title!). He also hated chainsaws, nunchuks and, I think, flick knives.

To his credit, there is soemthing about the appeal of certain weapons. I have a very vivid memory of seeing Face/Off while on holiday in Greece in 199whatever year it came out, and there's a scene that was definintely NOT in the UK version where evil John T shows his daughter a butterfly knife opening up - and it was just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I immediately wanted to buy one and stab all my friends.

(All of which is less funny than an epsiode of Low Life, but more interesting than an episode of Nemesis and Snoozelock)

--- End quote ---

Interesting - thanks.

Colin YNWA:
Last day on this one, its been active but there still a final chance to vote if you haven't yet. I'll announce the result in the morning.

Colin YNWA:
VOTING CLOSED

Cut and dry this one and little surprise. Low Life is a magnificent thrill that introduced so much that weaves through Rob Williams' Dredd world work. It's initital ensemble cast really gave so much and is masked a little by what a breakout star Crazy Frank became. And that art by D'Israeli - wow. Deadlock and Nemesis in contrast took two established characters and managed to make them less interesting - quite the reverse and the vote kinda show that as

Low Life

goes undercover into Round 3.

I, Cosh:
Low-Life is one of the great Dreddworld spin-off strips. Has a great cast of characters and wildly different tones. Doesn't matter if the latter is more about Williams responding to the unexpected popularity of an early supporting character. The Hitler babies story would be my vote for funniest thing Tharg's ever printed.

I remember there were vague promises that we'd get another D'Israeli illustrated series to wrap some things up. I assume that boat has sailed and dangling plot threads were swept up in Williams' later Dredd stories.

Nemesis and Deadlock are two cool looking characters, so a story starring both of them must be doubly cool? Not really.

Low-Life by a distance.

--- Quote from: AlexF on 19 January, 2022, 08:02:00 AM ---...evil John T shows his daughter a butterfly knife opening up - and it was just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I immediately wanted to buy one and stab all my friends.

--- End quote ---
Ha! Thinking back, teenage boys going on school trips to France were always bizarrely obsessed with the idea of buying and smuggling home butterfly knives and flick knives. I didn't even know what a butterfly knife was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version